NJ Legislature Set to Vote on Legal Weed by 3/25

https://www.nj.com/marijuana/2019/03/final-legal-weed-deal-reached-murphy-top-dems-resolve-final-sticking-point-and-could-hold-big-vote-soon.html

Will become the second state to legalize via the legislative process (versus a ballot measure).

I'm of two minds on this.  On one hand I think weed should be legal.  On the other hand I don't trust NJ to do it right.

18 minutes ago, legend said:

Even if NJ doesn't do it well, I can't help but feel that almost any form of legalization is better than it being illegal for so many societal reasons. But maybe they'll surprise me :p 

Yeah, I mean..at the end of the day legal > illegal.  I'm just worried that they aren't, as part of the deal, going to do right by the people who have been fucked over most by the drug war up to this point.  I think they're going to setup the rules and licensing in a way that only rich white businessmen are going to be able to profit from this.  Small sellers are probably still going to be illegal because it's NJ so I imagine the taxing and licensing scheme will be prohibitively expensive and we'll have other high barriers to entry into the marketplace.  So it's like...yay I can go burn one legally now.  But I'm afraid this won't be the end of the poor and minorities being jailed/fined over weed.

I hope I'm wrong.  I hope they expunge old marijuana arrest records and set the bar to entry into the industry at a level where small entrepreneurs can have their place.  But it's NJ so....

4 minutes ago, Slug said:

Yeah, I mean..at the end of the day legal > illegal.  I'm just worried that they aren't, as part of the deal, going to do right by the people who have been fucked over most by the drug war up to this point.  I think they're going to setup the rules and licensing in a way that only rich white businessmen are going to be able to profit from this.  Small sellers are probably still going to be illegal because it's NJ so I imagine the taxing and licensing scheme will be prohibitively expensive we'll or have high barriers to entry into the marketplace.  So it's like...yay I can go burn one legally now.  But I'm afraid this won't be the end of the poor and minorities being jailed/fined over weed.

I hope I'm wrong.  I hope they expunge old marijuana arrest records and set the bar to entry into the industry at a level where small entrepreneurs can have their place.  But it's NJ so....

I hope they do it correctly as well, though in many ways, I feel the progress of marijuana legalization in this country has been

(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

sluggish.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

I was worried NY would beat us to it. I am sure it will pass. 

last time I was home I was talking to a dude at a vape shop and he was certain  it was gonna pass and was already in the works for his dispensary.  He was a young black dude in the middle of downtown Newark so take that for what it's worth. I hope alot of guys I know are able to take advantage of it as well.

My concrete guy brought me some weed products recently as a thank you for all the business I have sent him. It was my first experience with THC and I found it pretty underwhelming. I’d much rather sip on a nice bourbon or a gin and tonic.

But legalization is still great policy.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

My concrete guy brought me some weed products recently as a thank you for all the business I have sent him. It was my first experience with THC and I found it pretty underwhelming. I’d much rather sip on a nice bourbon or a gin and tonic.

But legalization is still great policy.

Losing the knowledge of the elders is normal as a thing becomes more commercialized.

Generally speaking; people don't get high their first time, it is known.

6 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Losing the knowledge of the elders is normal as a thing becomes more commercialized.

Generally speaking; people don't get high their first time, it is known.

Depends on the ingestion route. You better believe you’re getting high if you have an edible

An article I read recently seemed to indicate that a lot of companies in Washington State and Oregon are making less and less per gram to the point where only the large players are winning because they have economies of scale. This shouldn’t shock us since this is typically how markets work. Speciality strains, edibles, capsules, and all the other special things are how some of the smaller companies could potentially make it. I think people are starting to realize you can’t make profits by having a little grow operation in the garage. 

Also mclumber is right to tax the weight, not the price. I think taxing thc and cbd is also a good idea. 

6 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

An article I read recently seemed to indicate that a lot of companies in Washington State and Oregon are making less and less per gram to the point where only the large players are winning because that have economies of scale. This shouldn’t shock us since this is typically how markets work. Speciality strains, edibles, capsules, and all the other special things are how some of the smaller companies could potentially make it. I think people are starting to realize you can’t make profits by having a little grow operation in the garage.

I have to imagine that it's exacerbating the issue that you have to be able to support duplicating your production and distribution networks, since nothing can move across state lines.

22 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

An article I read recently seemed to indicate that a lot of companies in Washington State and Oregon are making less and less per gram to the point where only the large players are winning because that have economies of scale. This shouldn’t shock us since this is typically how markets work. Speciality strains, edibles, capsules, and all the other special things are how some of the smaller companies could potentially make it. I think people are starting to realize you can’t make profits by having a little grow operation in the garage. 

My little town of 15,000 in Oregon has 6 weed shops.  I'm surprised none of them have closed yet, to be honest.  There is so much competition right now.

56 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

My little town of 15,000 in Oregon has 6 weed shops.  I'm surprised none of them have closed yet, to be honest.  There is so much competition right now.

That seems like a lot of stores for 15000 people. Toronto Ontario will only have 5 shops hopefully come April 1st to serve a few million people. (Minus online store which is said to be slow and expensive) Before legalization in Canada. The city next to mine had a ton of illegal weed shops in a very close nit area and all did very well. A newspaper article said the police raided 41 shops in one day and 36 of them reopened the very next day. (That wasn't even all of them)Although we are probably close to 300-400,000 people in a 35km radius. Gotta make it legit in America and maybe they could make a splash up here and down there

14 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I hope they do it correctly as well, though in many ways, I feel the progress of marijuana legalization in this country has been

(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

sluggish.

The popularity of legalization has been

(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

high

• Haha 2