~*Official "What the hell, Commonwealth of Virginia?" Thread*~

17 hours ago, Boyle5150 said:

Maybe it's just your use of absolutes that bothers me?  If you said "a majority" or hell even "a vast majority" I think we would be in agreement.   

And maybe I have a hard time judging people on their assumed-perspective, rather than their literal ones and actions.   I will chalk that up to being one of my (many) faults, or if you rather, my own ignorance. 

If people want to call me a troll or a bad faith debater, then so be it.   

:guillotine:

Fair enough - I'm happy to use less hyperbole if that helps you understand my posts better, but I assumed that was implied. But I can work with that. The rest . . . we'll see I suppose. :)

You keep using the term "judging people on their assumed perspective" but there's absolutely nothing wrong with making inferred conclusions based on all the available facts given to you at the given time. I don't go around finding Trump voters to beat up who wear MAGA hats, but it's asinine to suggest there is no correlation between MAGA hat wearers and a generally despicable world view, and for you to give them a generous reading of their person as a result does the rest of us a disservice by giving them some wiggle room (which they will use) to continue banging the drums of their shitty views.

17 hours ago, sblfilms said:

You guys :p

I think you may have an incorrect understanding of what the alt-right is, @Greatoneshere, which is understandable given that it’s a slightly ambiguous sub-group.

Ben Shapiro is decidedly not invited to the alt-right party, and Ben Shapiro represents what seems to me to be the most mainstream of Republican views.

I mean, what "alt right" means is a matter of semantics to me at this point - so to be fair I could be misusing it, but to me anyone who still supports Trump is someone to despise, regardless of reasons. Explanation is not justification, etc. I use the term "alt right" to encapsulate and label that group. At best a person in this group is deeply ignorant, and that's the most charitable reading of a person I can give that still supports Trump and his agenda, and that still makes them worthy of derision.

So from NBC's article:

"In 1980, when I was a 19-year-old undergraduate in college, some friends suggested we attend a party dressed like rappers we listened to at the time, like Kurtis Blow, and perform a song," AG Mark Herring said in a statement. "It sounds ridiculous even now writing it. But because of our ignorance and glib attitudes — and because we did not have an appreciation for the experiences and perspectives of others — we dressed up and put on wigs and brown makeup."

Herring called it "a onetime occurrence" and said, "I accept full responsibility for my conduct." He said "the shame of that moment has haunted me for decades."

"In the days ahead, honest conversations and discussions will make it clear whether I can or should continue to serve as attorney general, but no matter where we go from here, I will say that from the bottom of my heart, I am deeply, deeply sorry for the pain that I cause with this revelation," he added.

If Northam, Fairfax and Herring were all to resign, Virginia's Speaker of the House of Delegates, Republican Kirkland Cox, would be in line for the job

Can you imagine if that coin flip election led to that?

And the thing is, Dems really need to be in the governor's mansion for the redistricting since Republicans fucked with it after winning in 2009.

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Herring is probably a better person, but he also has the immediate trial run of Northam as a “what not to do” as he and his team prepared this statement.

Looking back at literally any scandal could have benefited northam. First he said it was him, then he said it wasn't. Like this is basic shit. Get your story straight before saying anything.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Herring is probably a better person, but he also has the immediate trial run of Northam as a “what not to do” as he and his team prepared this statement.

It doesn't take a ton of intelligence to be able to figure out not to do any of what Northam's done without actually seeing it tried. 

So also, uh, what made Herring come out and admit this? Did someone approach him with a picture threatening to release it, and this is him trying to get out ahead of it to try to at least be able to control the narrative on the story? He called on Northam to resign a few days ago, and you'd think you'd keep your mouth shut on that if you knew you had this skeleton in your closet.

I think many people would have thought the initial apology by Northam wasn’t terrible, but it never really went far enough. Herring’s comments show the sort of shame and remorse that never really appeared in Northam’s initial apology.

Obviously the rest is just lunacy on Northam’s part :lol:

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Probably getting ahead of it.

But that means someone had to approach him threatening to release a picture of it, right?

Have we found out yet who actually pulled the trigger on releasing the Northam picture?