~*Official "What the hell, Commonwealth of Virginia?" Thread*~

5 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

The problem is you admit you might not know enough about these things ("you may very well be right" or "working on wokeness"), but you come into threads and say outrageous things. A person who knows they don't know much about something either reads up on it first so they have some foothold or they ask questions. I disagree with plenty of people on plenty of topics here all the time, just ask @mclumber1 or @sblfilms but we understand each other and hear each other out. They don't instigate or bait me, they discuss in good faith from a different position they genuinely hold that still has merit. 

You say inflammatory things like: "wearing a MAGA hat at an anti-abortion rally" is the same thing as Muslims wearing traditional Muslim garb. It's so gobsmackingly stupid to say that to even put forth the point, and then try to defend it, and then entrench yourself further, all the while now implying you are "working on your wokeness" makes you an almost malicious person. Either shut the fuck up or learn first or frame your points of views as questions if you are unsure. For instance: "is wearing a MAGA hat at an anti-abortion rally when you are a young white male the same thing as any and all kinds of Muslims just wearing traditional Muslim garb the same?" All of us would calmly and happily explained the point to you.

But not you. Not ever you. You have to take the wildest and most ignorant positions and then push them. You, to me now, come off like OhioGuy or HeyYouDVD or Dodger or Alien-Gunner. I didn't think you were like them but if all you are interested in is baiting and then not listening as you entrench yourself further in your terrible, backwards, anachronistic views on things, then yeah, I'm not interested because there's no way to communicate anything to you. 

Seems you misunderstood me.  My point is that you can't simply judge a bunch of kids because they are simply wearing a MAGA hat (which means different things to different people (even though there are people who wear that hat and hold the despicable views as one would assume they would)) the same way that you can't judge Muslims based on the clothes they wear or what horrible ideas Islam holds, as they might not hold those same views.    Are they the same?  NO, but you can hopefully see why you should treat them blind hatred and disdain based on the lack of information you have about them.  Treat them (all people) kindly and compassionately unless their actions do otherwise.

I never once claimed to not be wrong on any given subject, and will always do my best to learn from the times I am wrong.  I will also try to be as charitable in my understanding of what you and anyone else says in regards to any of your positions you may hold. 

16 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

We're at war with the alt-right in real life. Wake the fuck up - yes, I hate that group as they are only interested in destroying me, my life, and the possibility of creating a better world for everyone. 

I literally hate the alt-right as much as you and most everyone else here does.  I just don't think every Rep is alt-right is all.  Sorry if you feel otherwise and take it personally if I don't. 

6 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

Seems you misunderstood me.  My point is that you can't simply judge a bunch of kids because they are simply wearing a MAGA hat (which means different things to different people (even though there are people who wear that hat and hold the despicable views as one would assume they would)) the same way that you can't judge Muslims based on the clothes they wear or what horrible ideas Islam holds, as they might not hold those same views.    Are they the same?  NO, but you can hopefully see why you should treat them blind hatred and disdain based on the lack of information you have about them.  Treat them (all people) kindly and compassionately unless their actions do otherwise.

I never once claimed to not be wrong on any given subject, and will always do my best to learn from the times I am wrong.  I will also try to be as charitable in my understanding of what you and anyone else says in regards to any of your positions you may hold. 

It's not blind hatred. It's a young white male at an anti-abortion rally in a Native Americans face while wearing a MAGA hat sporting a smug, smirking face. No, you never once claimed to not be wrong, you just keep hammering home the same talking points without efficacy. 

And no, if you wear a MAGA hat, unless it's ironic, you are implying you hold the views the hat symbolizes. End of story. Unless there's something about MAGA viewpoints that I'm missing?

You see what I mean? You ignore the post. You picked one part of a full sentence. How am I supposed to work with that?

16 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

You've made everyone stoop to your level and they are tired and done with you. You start a fire in their house and then get upset when finally, they've been pushed to the brink, they start a fire in your house.

Yeah, it's their fault. Projection 101.

No, you can feel free to blame me.  I will take credit for their trolling.  

1 minute ago, Boyle5150 said:

I literally hate the alt-right as much as you and most everyone else here does.  I just don't think every Rep is alt-right is all.  Sorry if you feel otherwise and take it personally if I don't. 

I don't take anything personally. What stays on the board stays here. I have a full and busy life outside of the board, I don't have time to worry much about what's happening in politics beyond what I can affect, which isn't much.

But intellectual dishonesty is a disgusting trait in my book, yes. And yes, every Republican still supports Trump, and thus, is insane and alt-right. Not sure if you noticed but they took over the party bru. 

No, you can feel free to blame me.  I will take credit for their trolling.  

I don't care about blame, you asked me whether them trolling you is them doing what you do. It isn't because they are responding to you, and are at their reasonable wits' end. You troll, they're just tired of you in response, though I'll let the ones you are asking about speak for themselves, that's my speculation. 

17 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's not blind hatred. It's a young white male at an anti-abortion rally in a Native Americans face while wearing a MAGA hat. No, you never once claimed to not be wrong, you just keep hammering home the same talking points without efficacy. 

And no, if you wear a MAGA hat, unless it's ironic, you are implying you hold the views the hat symbolizes. End of story. Unless there's something about MAGA viewpoints that I'm missing?

You see what I mean? You ignore the post. You picked one part of a full sentence. How am I supposed to work with that?

But the problem is that the hat doesn't just symbolize one set of views.  @sblfilms as well as myself have tried to convey that point (he doing a far better job than myself).  

I don't want a million pages of this crap again, but its just a matter of fact, not opinions based on feelings.   

Also, let's make sure we get the whole "in a native Americans face" thing down accurately, and without intellectual dishonesty.  @Greatoneshere

But the problem is that the hat doesn't just symbolize one set of views.  @sblfilms as well as myself have tried to convey that point (he doing a far better job than myself).  

I don't want a million pages of this crap again, but its just a matter of fact, not opinions based on feelings.   

All views the MAGA hat represents are reprehensible so what does it matter? I never said the hat represented one view, I find all MAGA hat wearing views truly worthy of outrage. Which "view" does a MAGA hat wearer have that's even somewhat tolerable? Asking genuinely.

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

But intellectual dishonesty is a disgusting trait in my book, yes. And yes, every Republican still supports Trump, and thus, is insane and alt-right. Not sure if you noticed but they took over the party bru. 

I mean, this is just extreme.  Sorry I feel that way  :shrug:

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

All views the MAGA hat represents are reprehensible so what does it matter? I never said the hat represented one view, I find all MAGA hat wearing views truly worthy of outrage. Which "view" does a MAGA hat wearer have that's even somewhat tolerable? Asking genuinely.

2nd amendment.  I personally am for extreme gun control, but that is beside the point.  

The only reason I got into the debate about it is because someone said that they all looked like sexist, bigoted racist punks.   And I gave reasons why you shouldn't just judge someone because of that dumb ass hat. 

10 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I don't care about blame, you asked me whether them trolling you is them doing what you do. It isn't because they are responding to you, and are at their reasonable wits' end. You troll, they're just tired of you in response, though I'll let the ones you are asking about speak for themselves, that's my speculation. 

This is how you define bias

21 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

I mean, this is just extreme.  Sorry I feel that way  :shrug:

What's extreme about it? Most users here would agree with my assessment of the current Republican party being all alt-righters. There are no moderate Republicans left. And certainly no honest conservative ones. 

20 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

2nd amendment.  I personally am for extreme gun control, but that is beside the point.  

The only reason I got into the debate about it is because someone said that they all looked like sexist, bigoted racist punks.   And I gave reasons why you shouldn't just judge someone because of that dumb ass hat. 

Their version of the 2nd amendment is as reprehensible as their views on everything else, and one view does not make it okay to wear a hat that they know endorses far more than that. 

15 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

This is how you define bias

How so?

21 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

Again, we weren't judging them on just the hat. How long will it take for you to understand that? Context is everything.

24 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's very hard to have a conversation when things like this go unchecked in the CEB.  This is where your cognitive dissonance kicks in. 

"Every Republican still supports Trump"  This is a 100% false accusation.   There are a lot of Republicans who don't support Trump.  Just like there were a lot of Democrats who didn't support Hillary.    (Just so we're clear, I voted for Hillary).

"... and thus, is insane and alt-right"  Again, this is also false, in the same way as above.  

Talk about extreme. 

It's very hard to have a conversation when things like this go unchecked in the CEB.  This is where your cognitive dissonance kicks in. 

"Every Republican still supports Trump"  This is a 100% false accusation.   There are a lot of Republicans who don't support Trump.  Just like there were a lot of Democrats who didn't support Hillary.    (Just so we're clear, I voted for Hillary).

"... and thus, is insane and alt-right"  Again, this is also false, in the same way as above.  

Talk about extreme. 

They do in terms of their voting records, which is all that matters. So no, not that extreme. And obviously I'm speaking with hyperbole, but only just. Does it really matter if they only vote with Trump 94% of the time vs. 100% of the time? C'mon now.

Maybe it's just your use of absolutes that bothers me?  If you said "a majority" or hell even "a vast majority" I think we would be in agreement.   

And maybe I have a hard time judging people on their assumed-perspective, rather than their literal ones and actions.   I will chalk that up to being one of my (many) faults, or if you rather, my own ignorance. 

If people want to call me a troll or a bad faith debater, then so be it.   

:guillotine:

You guys :p

I think you may have an incorrect understanding of what the alt-right is, @Greatoneshere, which is understandable given that it’s a slightly ambiguous sub-group.

Ben Shapiro is decidedly not invited to the alt-right party, and Ben Shapiro represents what seems to me to be the most mainstream of Republican views.

43 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

You guys :p

I think you may have an incorrect understanding of what the alt-right is, @Greatoneshere, which is understandable given that it’s a slightly ambiguous sub-group.

Ben Shapiro is decidedly not invited to the alt-right party, and Ben Shapiro represents what seems to me to be the most mainstream of Republican views.

Honey, I can speak for myself here. They said the invitation was lost in the mail, okay?!

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think you're just a dumbass, but sure, let's say it's that. Or is that bullying to call a thing what you think it is?

And given you troll users (myself included), that means you are a dishonest debater to boot.

The sad thing is, you're not even funny (at least, of course, to me). It's sad because until recently I didn't know you were quite like this. 

Everyone is still playing catchup to me tbh

• Haha 2