Game of Thrones - Season 8 - Starting April 14th

TwinIon

7 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

That sounds like a real shyte "promotion" for wurm! 

It would be, but it would have at it given the Unsullied a place and purpose in Westeros. That would assume no more need for a Night's Watch and all those troublesome folks would get sent to them rather than a pointless Night's Watch. They'd still have the chastity vow and would be more than capable of replacing the Golden Company.

That said, I doubt Grey Worm had any desire to be a sell sword.

Just now, johnny said:

I still think it can serve some purpose as a form of banishment. Not that big of a deal to me though. 

Even aside from that I think the compromise to get him there was more contrived than the Night's Watch still existing.

Human beings are very good at propping up outdated traditions for no other reason than "that's the way it's always been". 

After finding out that all the stuff they that the Night's Watch was created to guard against that was long thought to be the stuff of legend and and myth was actually REAL and the Night's Watch actually serves a purpose, I would think that not only it still exists but would be reinvigorated with support from the remaining six + one Kingdoms. It would literally be like disbanding the fire department after a huge fire and saying "well that's that... they served THEIR purpose!" Not only would I think the Night's Watch would still exist, but every one would be working double time to fix that huge hole in the Wall.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

After finding out that all the stuff they that the Night's Watch was created to guard against that was long thought to be the stuff of legend and and myth was actually REAL and the Night's Watch actually serves a purpose, I would think that not only it still exists but would be reinvigorated with support from the remaining six + one Kingdoms. It would literally be like disbanding the fire department after a huge fire and saying "well that's that... they served THEIR purpose!" Not only would I think the Night's Watch would still exist, but every one would be working double time to fix that huge hole in the Wall.

Yeah I have defended the show against the criticism. I think this is another symptom of it just being rushed. If they provided context for why the Watch was to still exist, heck even a couple of lines of dialogue, it could have helped it along. 

Plus I think if Bran wanted to keep the Nights Watch it’s definitely not going to be a sticking point for people if they think it’s not needed. They’ll just be like oh okay well you know everything and its way fucking North so sounds good 

Watched the episode again. I REALLY wish we would have seen Greyworm's reaction to finding out his queen was dead. That whole part with the dragon taking her body away before anyone could even witness her dead doesn't fit well at all. Jon and Greyworm could have had a cool fight or something too. 

Just now, DarkStar189 said:

Watched the episode again. I REALLY wish we would have seen Greyworm's reaction to finding out his queen was dead. That whole part with the dragon taking her body away before anyone could even witness her dead doesn't fit well at all. 

Drogon taking her away is fine. It’s just missing all the shit with Jon and Greyworm 

19 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

lol, no. White Walkers are gone. Wildlings are no longer enemies(what's left of them). There's really no purpose for the NW anymore. 

The White Walkers were defeated before... there's no guarantee they don't come back. At least as far as anyone in Westeros knows.

19 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

Yeah I have defended the show against the criticism. I think this is another symptom of it just being rushed. If they provided context for why the Watch was to still exist, heck even a couple of lines of dialogue, it could have helped it along. 

Yeah these last two seasons were definitely rushed, no doubt about that and it's apparent now that everything is said and done. Two full seasons for these last two and maybe one more could have sufficed. HBO wanted ten seasons and that may be have been the right number.

I don’t think that the ending was “happy.” GRRM said that it was going to be bittersweet and everyone’s mileage on that is going to vary with a term like that, but... Dany is dead (even if her character got done dirty in S8), Jamie came full circle then died, Sandor is dead, Jorah is dead, etc.

I dunno. As someone who binged the whole show within a month or so leading up to the finale, season 8 was pretty good, warts and all. Most of the issues really come down to time or the show’s lack of willingness to engage in the broader fantasy elements which is a seed planted a while ago that finally came to bloom in the finale. But aside from Tyrion saying that Varys was his best friend (what), there’s NOTHING as bad as A LOT of what happened in season 7. There’s nothing like Sam quoting his dad as he talks about how he’s tired of reading (what), Arya not being able to tell that Sansa is telling the truth, every character in the show forgetting the fact that hostage taking is an established practice in Westeros and nobody would hold that scroll against Sansa, forgetting that the lords of the Vale ALREADY KNEW that Sansa was compromised by Cersei during Sansa’s captivity in King’s Landing because SANSA TOLD THEM HERSELF face to face while Petyr was in the room with them, etc.

And I honestly think that when the hot takes cool down, the Dany turn is going to be appreciated more. The main issue I have for now is that we never see her take / POV on the carnage she caused. Getting into it in the moment, fine? Mercing Lannister soldiers? Fine. We’ve seen that from her before. We’ve seen her walk the streets of a city she freed. We never got to see her walk the streets of a city she burned, and we really should have.

I don’t hold season 8 responsible for us having no fucking idea what Bran’s responsibilities as the three eyed raven are. With him not being in season 5, we had seven seasons to get an explanation of that, and we get what... three lines about how he’s the memory of the world? That’s dope and all but what does that have to do with the price of tomatoes? We knew we weren’t going to get a satisfying understanding of that stuff which would have been kinda okay if you know... they didn’t make him king.

EDIT - Also they really needed to have a chat about the Night’s Watch. There’s no reason to believe whatever magic made the Night King is totally gone. There are still Children of the Forest, there are still men that would probably kill them, etc. The relationship between Wildlings and The North is probably fine short to medium term, and it’s difficult to imagine rangings to kill Wildlings happening now, especially with Jon Snow North of the wall. But The Others and wights were generally considered eradicated at the start of season 1, there’s no way people would leave that to chance. Unless Bran said they were fine, which who knows, because we don’t know shit about Bran.

Here's the thing, the Six Kingdoms now have a king that could just straight up tell people if there's a threat up north. The Northern Kingdom has a queen that will believe anything that king tells her. The southern kingdoms are basically sending folks to man the border of a sovereign nation, to defend that other nation from threats their own king would know doesn't exist.

22 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I don't recall The Night King and all the WWs being completely wiped out before. 

They weren't... they were driven back I believe. But it was so long ago that most people in Westeros thought it never happened and was just a made up story yet they STILL manned the Wall. Now, knowing that the threat of the WW's was real, I would think that for the sake of they would keep manning that wall just in case.

19 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Here's the thing, the Six Kingdoms now have a king that could just straight up tell people if there's a threat up north. The Northern Kingdom has a queen that will believe anything that king tells her. The southern kingdoms are basically sending folks to man the border of a sovereign nation, to defend that other nation from threats their own king would know doesn't exist.

It's called "lazy writing", sir. :p 

57 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

@skillzdadirecta

When I first read hbo wanted 10 seasons, I thought hbo was just being greedy and that would be too long. Now I strongly believe that it needed around 20 additional episodes to end as strongly as it began. 

I thought 10 seasons was a bit much too... now I see that the show could have EASILY sustained 10 seasons. Like I said earlier, these last two shortened seasons could have been extended to three full seasons easily. That said, they they about as well a job as they could have with the mount of episodes they had left, but some of the beats would have had more resonance if they were allowed to develop a little longer... particularly Dany and Jon's love affair which NOBODY really bought because it just didn't have the same time to develop like Jamie and Breanne's.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

There are still Children of the Forest, there are still men that would probably kill them, etc.

I think the last remaining Children of the Forest died when Bran made his escape as he was north of the wall. That was the last of their kind.  It's possible I remember it wrong.

7 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I think the last remaining Children of the Forest died when Bran made his escape as he was north of the wall. That was the last of their kind.  It's possible I remember it wrong.

That’s what I thought. The wiki says their existence is uncertain and possibly extinct 

3 hours ago, number305 said:

So Bran is the ultimate bad guy in the series right? I mean with his knowledge of the past and future he set events in motion to make himself king while sacrificing an entire city. 

Nope. He can't affect things, he just knows where they are going (and where they've been).

http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2019/05/20/an-ending/  

The last night, the last show. After eight epic seasons, HBO’s GAME OF THRONES series has come to an end.

It is hard to believe it is over, if truth be told. The years have gone past in the blink of an eye. Can it really have been more than a decade since my manager Vince Gerardis set up a meeting at the Palm in LA, and I sat down for the first time with David Benioff and D.B. Weiss for a lunch that lasted well past dinner? I asked them if they knew who Jon Snow’s mother was. Fortunately, they did.

That was how it started. It ended last night.

I had no clue, that afternoon at the Palm, that I was about to embark on a journey that would change my life. I had optioned books and stories for television and film before. Some had even been made There was no way to know that this one was going to be different, that this pilot would not only be shot, but would go on to become the most successful show in the history of HBO, win a record number of Emmy Awards, become the most popular (and most pirated) show in the world, and transform a group of talented but largely unknown actors into major celebrities and stars. Even less did I imagine that I would somehow become a celebrity as well… and if truth be told, I’m still not sure how that happened.

It has been a wild ride, to say the least.

I want to thank people, but there are so many. There were forty-two cast members at the season eight premiere in New York City, and that wasn’t even all of them. And the crew, though less visible than the cast, were no less important. We had some amazing people working on this show, as all those Emmys bear witness. David & Dan assembled a championship team. The directors were incredible as well. I should start naming names, but then I’d miss someone, there were so many. But I do need to mention David Benioff, Dan Weiss, Bryan Cogman (the third head of the dragon, as I said in the recent VANITY FAIR piece about him), and of course the great team at HBO, headed by Richard Plepler. Any other network, and GAME OF THRONES would not have been what it became. Most other networks, this series never gets made at all.

I could go on and on… and have, as I’ve been writing this post in my head… but there’s really too much to say. Parting is such sweet sorrow, the Bard wrote. In the weeks and months to come, I may post about some of my favorite moments from the making of this show… now and again, when I am feeling nostalgic… but just now, there are so many memories, and no time to do them all justice.

Let me say this much — last night was an ending, but it was also a beginning. Nobody is retiring any time soon. David and Dan are going on to STAR WARS and other projects beyond that. Amazon scooped up Bryan Cogman, and put him to work on developing shows of his own, as well as helping out on their big Tolkien project. Our brilliant cast has scattered to the four winds, but you’ll be seeing a lot of them in the years to come, in all manner of television shows and movies. Our directors are keeping busy as well. I suspect that you have not seen the last of Westeros on your television sets either, but I guess that all depends on how some of these successor shows turn out.

And me? I’m still here, and I’m still busy. As a producer, I’ve got five shows in development at HBO (some having nothing whatsoever to do with the world of Westeros), two at Hulu, one on the History Channel. I’m involved with a number of feature projects, some based upon my own stories and books, some on material created by others. There are these short films I am hoping to make, adaptations of classic stories by one of the most brilliant, quirky, and original writers our genre has ever produced. I’ve consulted on a video game out of Japan. And then there’s Meow Wolf…

And I’m writing. Winter is coming, I told you, long ago… and so it is. THE WINDS OF WINTER is very late, I know, I know, but it will be done. I won’t say when, I’ve tried that before, only to burn you all and jinx myself… but I will finish it, and then will come A DREAM OF SPRING.

How will it all end? I hear people asking. The same ending as the show? Different?

Well… yes. And no. And yes. And no. And yes. And no. And yes.

I am working in a very different medium than David and Dan, never forget. They had eight hours for this final season. I expect these last two books of mine will fill 3000 manuscript pages between them before I’m done… and if more pages and chapters and scenes are needed, I’ll add them. And of course the butterfly effect will be at work as well; those of you who follow this Not A Blog will know that I’ve been talking about that since season one. There are characters who never made it onto the screen at all, and others who died in the show but still live in the books… so if nothing else, the readers will learn what happened to Jeyne Poole, Lady Stoneheart, Penny and her pig, Skahaz Shavepate, Arianne Martell, Darkstar, Victarion Greyjoy, Ser Garlan the Gallant, Aegon VI, and a myriad of other characters both great and small that viewers of the show never had the chance to meet. And yes, there will be unicorns… of a sort…

Book or show, which will be the “real” ending? It’s a silly question. How many children did Scarlett O’Hara have?

How about this? I’ll write it. You read it. Then everyone can make up their own mind, and argue about it on the internet.

• Like 1