Trump ‘at this moment’ opposes deal to avert shutdown, wants more border funding

Jason

2 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

No, it needs 60.

It needs 60 votes for cloture.  But theoretically, you could then only need 51 votes to pass the bill for it's final vote, right?  It's just  that under most circumstances, you won't see Senators changing their vote between the cloture vote and the final vote, which means the a bill is effectively dead if it can't get through cloture.

5 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

It needs 60 votes for cloture.  But theoretically, you could then only need 51 votes to pass the bill for it's final vote, right?  It's just  that under most circumstances, you won't see Senators changing their vote between the cloture vote and the final vote, which means the a bill is effectively dead if it can't get through cloture.

Ah, okay.  Thanks for clearing that up.

50 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

The Trump-backed one failed

How many votes did it get?

18 minutes ago, Jason said:

I think he is talking like in 2008-2010 when the banks where working with the people to make sure that they werent have by the loss of jobs and income and could keep living in their homes until they could get back on their feet. That didn't happen you say? While I would never think that banks would hurt people with no way of paying (and for the foreseeable future) for the mortgages and loans they have out. 

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

>Doesn't have Democrats involved in negotiation

>Is surprised when they don't support your negotiation

Also:

>Doesn't have the hard-right Republicans like Cotton involved in negotiation

6 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Can you expand on this a bit? I always assumed most legislation needed just 50 (+1) to pass, and the reason sometimes a 50+ bill is “defeated” is because it’s understood the President will veto, and you need 60 to override the veto.

So while the Senate did pass the bill, it’s demise is inevitable, so media and politicians just frame it as “defeated” right now because it saves time and face.

29 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

>Doesn't have Democrats involved in negotiation

23 minutes ago, Jason said:

Also:

>Doesn't have the hard-right Republicans like Cotton involved in negotiation

The best dealmaker.

1 minute ago, osxmatt said:

Can you expand on this a bit? I always assumed most legislation needed just 50 (+1) to pass, and the reason sometimes a 50+ bill is “defeated” is because it’s understood the President will veto, and you need 60 to override the veto.

So while the Senate did pass the bill, it’s demise is inevitable, so media and politicians just frame it as “defeated” right now because it saves time and face.

A bill needs to get through cloture.  For most bills, there is a 60 vote threshold.  If at least 60 Senators agree to cloture, they will hold the actual vote a day or two later.  This requires just a simple majority.  But as I said, it is almost impossible for a bill to pass cloture and then fail the actual vote.  

McConnell hasn't been allowing debate/cloture on any of the House bills, because he either feels that they won't reach the 60 vote threshold for cloture, or he knows that the President will just veto them - he is effectively giving cover to the President at this point. 

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

A bill needs to get through cloture.  For most bills, there is a 60 vote threshold.  If at least 60 Senators agree to cloture, they will hold the actual vote a day or two later.  This requires just a simple majority.  But as I said, it is almost impossible for a bill to pass cloture and then fail the actual vote.  

McConnell hasn't been allowing debate/cloture on any of the House bills, because he either feels that they won't reach the 60 vote threshold for cloture, or he knows that the President will just veto them - he is effectively giving cover to the President at this point. 

It sounds like I need to look up the word cloture, because that’s a step in the legislative process I didn’t even know existed.

I always thought it was debate -> vote.

3 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

To add, a veto override is two-thirds of each chamber, so 67 (200/3 rounded up) Senators for an override.