Trump ‘at this moment’ opposes deal to avert shutdown, wants more border funding

Jason

8 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Which is exactly the right strategy. Upping the $1.7 billion in border security that was already appropriated for in the bill to Trump's $5.7 billion, but in border security, and most definitely not a wall, is how this negotiation should go. Even I'm not against giving a couple more billion to re-open the government. It's a ridiculous ask anyway, but at least it goes to what might actually help at the border, and not a useless wall. 

There isn't a constitutional requirement for the President to deliver a speech, much less one before a joint session of congress.

Given this letter I'm sure that Pelosi knows this is a real sticking point for Trump. It would be the most Trump thing ever to end the shutdown just so he can get on TV.

However, the President does have the authority to call a joint session "on extraordinary Occasions." I wonder if it'll come to that.

1 minute ago, TwinIon said:

There isn't a constitutional requirement for the President to deliver a speech, much less one before a joint session of congress.

Given this letter I'm sure that Pelosi knows this is a real sticking point for Trump. It would be the most Trump thing ever to end the shutdown just so he can get on TV.

However, the President does have the authority to call a joint session "on extraordinary Occasions." I wonder if it'll come to that.

What's the extraordinary occasion gonna be? A hamberder party on the House floor?

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

Why do news organizations keep calling it a request? She has to invite him to give it and she's TOLD him it's not happening.

Per the NYT, she did make the invitation on January 3rd; however as Wade pointed out, the House Dems still control whether or not it could happen.

Just now, 2user1cup said:

Can he just show up there? Don't the Dems control the cameras? They can just turn them off. Maybe have per day and broadcast pets playing in another room.

He can show up, but the doors could be locked or if they decide to let them in, the cameras can be turned off because the Republicans already set precedent for it.

UPDATE: "House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Wednesday said she would not pass a resolution allowing President Donald Trump to deliver his State of the Union address from the House chamber until the government reopens, rebuffing the president’s statement that he would move forward with the speech regardless.

'I look forward to welcoming you to the House on a mutually agreeable date for this address when government has been opened,' Pelosi wrote to Trump is the latest volley between the two leaders."

1 minute ago, Jason said:

giphy.gif

I know this sounds a bit glib because this is causing real damage to people and the economy, but as long as Trump is forcing this to go on I think there is some usefulness to the situation.

Living in a red state, I know food stamp recipients who whine about welfare queens. I know rabid libertarians that I have seen pick up unemployment checks.

People say the shutdown inherently hurts Dems, because Republicans don't like government anyway. But the longer this shutdown drags on, the more people are getting a real world, inescapable demonstration about how that big, amorphous bogeyman they call "government" is missed when it's gone.