Trump ‘at this moment’ opposes deal to avert shutdown, wants more border funding

Jason

44 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

Imagine someone as corrupt and with the same attitude as Trump but smart...

Trump is a great trial run as to how far u can push the BS on the population

I think that is such a legitimate concern, I really hope the next President greatly reduces the power of the executive. Trump should be a lesson on what a bad actor can do when given that much power. Just imagining a bad actor that is also capable gives me chills. I suppose you could argue that we got a good taste of that with Cheney, but somehow a few pointless wars wasn't enough of a lesson.

I remember people here worrying that even if/when Trump loses, it'll give away for a smarter, more controlled version of him to run in 2020.

My hope is that, now that he won, Trump's presidency turns people off to this at least in the short-term, similar to how people were turned off to going to war after Bush's presidency and during Obama's presidency to the point where we are still not eager to send more troops abroad.

Just now, TwinIon said:

I think that is such a legitimate concern, I really hope the next President greatly reduces the power of the executive. Trump should be a lesson on what a bad actor can do when given that much power. Just imagining a bad actor that is also capable gives me chills. I suppose you could argue that we got a good taste of that with Cheney, but somehow a few pointless wars wasn't enough of a lesson.

No, we're a horrible country when it comes to learning from our mistakes. The run up to 2020 is already an example in how we don't even think through the week before before planning for the week ahead. And as long as we keep getting people who will pretend to be all things great yet are actually in it for their own personal power (kind of the definition of every politician ever), we're going to be stuck with people out for their own interests. It's kind of what I hated about the run up to both Obama and Trump. People basically turned off their bullshit detectors and started serving nonstop Kool Aid. We got lucky with Obama in that he turned out to at least have the right motives in mind, or at least enough of them that coincided with positive outcomes, but we most definitely pulled the slot machine the wrong way with Trump.

Even today, the sycophants who sided up to Trump are starting to see the light, such as Ann Coulter who says she was a "stupid girl" as if that somehow made it all right. For reasons that make little sense anywhere else but here, she has a base that listens to her. And they're going to listen to her again because they're stupid and she's somehow "redeemed" herself by writing an apologetic tweet. So, 2020 will happen again.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, brucoe said:

No, we're a horrible country when it comes to learning from our mistakes. The run up to 2020 is already an example in how we don't even think through the week before before planning for the week ahead. And as long as we keep getting people who will pretend to be all things great yet are actually in it for their own personal power (kind of the definition of every politician ever), we're going to be stuck with people out for their own interests. It's kind of what I hated about the run up to both Obama and Trump. People basically turned off their bullshit detectors and started serving nonstop Kool Aid. We got lucky with Obama in that he turned out to at least have the right motives in mind, or at least enough of them that coincided with positive outcomes, but we most definitely pulled the slot machine the wrong way with Trump.

Even today, the sycophants who sided up to Trump are starting to see the light, such as Ann Coulter who says she was a "stupid girl" as if that somehow made it all right. For reasons that make little sense anywhere else but here, she has a base that listens to her. And they're going to listen to her again because they're stupid and she's somehow "redeemed" herself by writing an apologetic tweet. So, 2020 will happen again.

Who's saying she's redeemed? :confused: I just see people laughing at her and her followers who hate how anti-Trump she's being.

Ann Coulter was a sycophant, but she's opposing him because she feels either used or that he's "the worst negotiator God ever created" and not getting his xenophobic policies passed, not because she's "seen the light."

10 minutes ago, brucoe said:

No, we're a horrible country when it comes to learning from our mistakes.

I get the impression that a lot of Americans don't realize that the rest of the world already considered Obama our mulligan for W.

4 hours ago, brucoe said:

6 hours ago, brucoe said:

. It's kind of what I hated about the run up to both Obama and Trump. People basically turned off their bullshit detectors and started serving nonstop Kool Aid. We got lucky with Obama in that he turned out to at least have the right motives in mind, or at least enough of them that coincided with positive outcomes, but we most definitely pulled the slot machine the wrong way with Trump.

A fair point, with the flood of info and media both sides have become absolute in their belief and devotion to their "cause"

I would gladly endure another Obama-like leader warts and all... having the GOP controlling both houses really limited what he could accomplish (or better balanced him depending on your point of view).... If only there was someone with Obamas "leadership" traits mixed in with easy recognition and trust...if only...

Maybe....

50872988_2820659274641511_14471711614597

Also the notion of Hillary trying to run yet again needs to be crushed NOW...

“Why are they always so loyal?” Trump asked in one staff meeting, complaining that Democrats so often stick together while Republicans sometimes break apart, according to attendees.

I've made this point since I started to pay attention to politics, and I know @SFLUFAN has made this point a billion times too...

....but what the fuck? It's the hardest fucking thing for Democrats to be unified. Look at how they voted for the Iraq War versus Republicans (only 8 voted against the War). Look at how they voted against so many bills during the Obama presidency, down to small stuff like the digital transition, lockstep while Democrats were splintered and the mantra was, "The only bi-partisanship is the opposition to the ACA."

Even the stimulus only managed to snag three Republican Senators. What world is he in?

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

“Why are they always so loyal?” Trump asked in one staff meeting, complaining that Democrats so often stick together while Republicans sometimes break apart, according to attendees.

I've made this point since I started to pay attention to politics, and I know @SFLUFAN has made this point a billion times too...

....but what the fuck? It's the hardest fucking thing for Democrats to be unified. Look at how they voted for the Iraq War versus Republicans (only 8 voted against the War). Look at how they voted against so many bills during the Obama presidency, down to small stuff like the digital transition, lockstep while Democrats were splintered and the mantra was, "The only bi-partisanship is the opposition to the ACA."

Even the stimulus only managed to snag three Republican Senators. What world is he in?

The one where they stood strong against him on the wall, and then Trump decided that was the truth for all time.

I'm sure his truth will change for him tomorrow and he'll tweet "Democrats in disarray!" so . . .

He's just a fucking moron. This is what I said in another thread. 

"What's hilarious is that it was reported recently that Trump was irritated with how strong the Democrats were holding as one against him about the wall and he said to an aide: "Why are they so loyal?" and it's like he doesn't understand how loyalty works when it's earned based on factors beyond strong-arming people. Projection is so strong they don't even see alternative viable explanations for other peoples' behavior."

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

Their version of the continuous CR is that the budget decreases by 1% every 90 days there is no CR. So Republicans can stealthily cut government to the bone by denying a CR when they have either the presidency or one chamber of Congress. Fuck the turtle he's the worst swamp thing in Washington by far

28 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Their version of the continuous CR is that the budget decreases by 1% every 90 days there is no CR. So Republicans can stealthily cut government to the bone by denying a CR when they have either the presidency or one chamber of Congress. Fuck the turtle he's the worst swamp thing in Washington by far

West Virginia should have elected Don Blankenship so he could go turtle hunting. :(

37 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

He's pumping himself up to declare a National Emergency. This thing will be tied up in the courts for years, but at least he can go to his base and say "I did it!"

While simultaneously giving Dems ammo to just say, "Well he says hes got the money for it anyways, so we don't need to add it to the bill," greatly increasing the chances he declares an emergency, lol.  Simply the best negotiator.