‘Vice,’ the Dick Cheney Biopic, Might Be the Worst Movie of the Year

Jason

36 minutes ago, johnny said:

I haven’t read a review for this yet but I’d be interested if some shitty critics let their political views cloud their judgement 

I have seen some pretty left leaning critics that hate it.  Actually I don't know of any real right leaning people who cover movies for a living...

1 hour ago, number305 said:

I have seen some pretty left leaning critics that hate it.  Actually I don't know of any real right leaning people who cover movies for a living...

I was going to say, who are some Conservative critics? Lol

With a year that gave us Robin Hood and Venom, I very much doubt this is the worst movie of the year. 

12 minutes ago, Brick said:

I was going to say, who are some Conservative critics? Lol

With a year that gave us Robin Hood and Venom, I very much doubt this is the worst movie of the year. 

There’s no chance of that but nobody will click on the article if you title it “Vice was.... meh” 

I saw this today. I dunno. There's a good long stretch that's basically just a recap of every shitty thing that happened in the early 00's and blames it all on Cheney. True or not, it wasn't particularly entertaining, and that's really all I was looking for. 

It's fun to watch Bale quite literally sink deeper into character of the course of the movie.

I was not a fan.

In The Big Short there are a few sections where the story pauses to explain some ridiculous financial scheme. In that film they felt necessary because there is no good way for a character, even one learning about the subject, to adequately explain some of that stuff, especially since many of the characters themselves didn't really understand. Vice is like if you took those meta explainer sections, lowered the writing quality a few notches, and clumsily tossed them into a cut of The Wolf of Wall Street that a film student edited in the style of Pulp Fiction.

The frustrating thing is that Christian Bale does a great Cheney, and the rest of the cast does a pretty good job as well. This movie could have been up there with Wolf if McKay had played it straight.

So regarding that menu scene, the review I posted in the OP omits that it's not the only surrealist scene in the movie. They were not particularly good scenes, but the review left me with the impression that it was being played straight, which made the scene sound a lot more awful than it actually was.

On 12/29/2018 at 2:33 PM, TheLeon said:

I saw this today. I dunno. There's a good long stretch that's basically just a recap of every shitty thing that happened in the early 00's and blames it all on Cheney. True or not, it wasn't particularly entertaining, and that's really all I was looking for. 

It's fun to watch Bale quite literally sink deeper into character of the course of the movie.

Yeah, the movie started okay, but the last 20-30 minutes were really fucking tedious.