~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

spacer.png

Mouse (마우스): 8/10

Mouse is a high concept crime drama that spans multiple generations and time. This is a show that takes a heavy investment to get into. I'm not sure what goes on in Korean television ( @thewhyteboar) but there are 20 episodes and nearly all of them approach 90 minutes each (without commercials!) It's so full of twists it's hard to describe without giving much away.

The concept of the show begins as a political issue. A scientist finds that 1% of people are born with either a genius gene or a psychopath gene, meaning that they will become murderers. Now a controversial issue is brought up to vote in the Blue House, if a psychopath gene is detected do you force the woman to have an abortion. Ultimately this does not pass. So there is a neurosurgeon, Han Seo-joon, who actually turns out to be a serial killer. But before he goes to jail he confesses to his wife that he needed to carry on the bloodline. It's up to her to decide what to do with the baby knowing that it has the psychopath gene and she decides to have it and lo and behold the kid grows up to be a murderer. However, not everything is this straightforward and there are many twists and turns along the way.

I will say that a lot of the twists seem absurd at first but they manage to write their way out of it. One of the big twists I wasn't a fan of, although it was written intentionally that way, it took a lot of convincing to go with the flow after that but I think they managed to pull it off. The biggest thing the show has going for it is that it is very thorough. By the end I don't think there are any loose ends and with such lengthy episodes they can afford to cover all their bases. I've mentioned the length of the episodes a couple of times but I must say for such long run times the show is totally engaging. Mouse is a good show with maybe a twist one too many but an overall success. I'd be curious to hear other's thoughts on this show.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

spacer.png

Mouse (마우스): 8/10

Mouse is a high concept crime drama that spans multiple generations and time. This is a show that takes a heavy investment to get into. I'm not sure what goes on in Korean television ( @thewhyteboar) but there are 20 episodes and nearly all of them approach 90 minutes each (without commercials!) It's so full of twists it's hard to describe without giving much away.

The concept of the show begins as a political issue. A scientist finds that 1% of people are born with either a genius gene or a psychopath gene, meaning that they will become murderers. Now a controversial issue is brought up to vote in the Blue House, if a psychopath gene is detected do you force the woman to have an abortion. Ultimately this does not pass. So there is a neurosurgeon, Han Seo-joon, who actually turns out to be a serial killer. But before he goes to jail he confesses to his wife that he needed to carry on the bloodline. It's up to her to decide what to do with the baby knowing that it has the psychopath gene and she decides to have it and lo and behold the kid grows up to be a murderer. However, not everything is this straightforward and there are many twists and turns along the way.

I will say that a lot of the twists seem absurd at first but they manage to write their way out of it. One of the big twists I wasn't a fan of, although it was written intentionally that way, it took a lot of convincing to go with the flow after that but I think they managed to pull it off. The biggest thing the show has going for it is that it is very thorough. By the end I don't think there are any loose ends and with such lengthy episodes they can afford to cover all their bases. I've mentioned the length of the episodes a couple of times but I must say for such long run times the show is totally engaging. Mouse is a good show with maybe a twist one too many but an overall success. I'd be curious to hear other's thoughts on this show.

Sounds interesting! I'll look it up.

• Hugs 1

spacer.png

Twixt: 5/10

Written and directed by the legendary Francis Ford Coppola comes Twixt, a rather ordinary supernatural movie. Val Kilmer plays Hall Baltimore, a small time horror writer who arrives in a small town with a cock tower with 7 faces for a book signing. The sheriff gains Hall's interest saying that he's got an amazing story to tell based on a mass murder that happened in the town. So Hall reluctantly takes him up on the idea after seeing a dead girl in his dreams related to the murders. The thing is in order to write the story he always has to be unconscious so that Edgar Allen Poe can guide him through the dreams to figure out the mystery.

Sadly this movie is nothing special, you'd probably expect more from Francis Ford Coppola but it feels really low budget, boring and predictable. The tone is also all over the place. It initially feels like it's trying to be a comedy horror movie but the humor slowly fades away and there really isn't much horror to speak of. I think the ending tries to blow you away but it feels expected in a way.

• Thanks 1

The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4k.

Leone , Morricone , Eastwood , Wallach , Van Cleef in 4k greatness. This is my favorite "spaghetti western". Leone takes all the stereotypes of the western genre and blends them together in to a fever dream that borders on surrealism. Characters wander into separate plots and scenes with no explanation and no one bats an eye, shots linger into the realm of absurdity . The score is pure Morricone and lives in its own pop culture status. Eastwood is Eastwood and never really veers off course, Wallach is the standout as Tuco and is the Tasmanian devil brought to human form. Van Cleef is fantastic as Angel eyes, he carries a lot of menace and there something very ominous about his look in this film , almost not human. 

The basic gist is 3 gunslingers each trying to get to a stash of gold and each one holds a piece of information to its location. Its got a 3 hour run time, so its not fast watch but it never feels like a drag.

9/10

• Halal 1

spacer.png

Scum's Wish: 7/10

This is a very grounded anime about relationships, love triangles (quadrangles maybe), unrequited love, etc. Ultimately about a girl named Hana who's  in love with her high school teacher (yeah i know yuck) but she knows the love won't be reciprocated. Another student, Mugi, is in the same boat. So they get together (Mugi and Hana) as a surrogate for the person they actually love. But then it goes deeper with how others love them and they won't reciprocate back and it's kind of a chain reaction down the line. It feels very mature, no big bouncing anime chicks, titty milk or anything like that. In fact the feelings of the women felt so real I had to check and the Manga was written by a woman and you can really sense that perspective throughout the show. It's not the most uplifting anime you will watch but it is compelling at least. This is on Prime Video if you're inclined to watch.

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

Parasomnia: 5/10

Parasomnia is the real life phenomenon and also the final movie from writer / director William Malone. It's hovering around that B movie range with Timothy Bottoms and Patrick Kilpatrick probably being the biggest names (and a random appearance from Alison Brie). The movie is quite odd and not in a good way. It follows an artist, Danny Sloan, who visits his friend in a drug rehab hospital. On his way out his friend tells him to go check out this guy in the mental ward who's chained up because he has psychic powers that allows him to kill anyone just by looking at them (good reason to keep him alive). He checks out the dude but also in the room next door to the dangerous murderer is a beautiful woman with parasomnia, meaning she's basically only awake for a few minutes a day. Well Danny falls in love with her and since this hospital has amazing security that allows you to walk into any patients' room and kidnaps her (or a rescue from experimentation depending on your perspective). In any case it's very strange to take an unconscious woman with the mind of a 3 year old from a hospital and wipe dirt off her body while she's unconscious. In any case it turns out the guy next door to her in the hospital shares a mental dream link that can control her mind while she's awake, and yada yada yada, it's the end of the movie.

I'm all for fresh ideas but I think there are a lot of flaws in this story. The gore is probably the best part of the movie. However, it's not very scary. There is a lot of low budget CGI and the movie is just a lot of nonsense.

• Thanks 1

TOP GUN: MAVERICK(4K/Atmos) 3/5

Finally found the time to watch my 4K disc after all the rave reviews for the movie, and it was ok for me. I haven’t seen the first movie, I know, but I’ve seen Hot Shots. (Top Gun 3D viewing hopefully soon) Anyways the movie feels like it leans heavily on nostalgia, with some awesome dogfights and Atmos track. I was never thrown off with the changing aspect ratio on my screen and the 7.2.4 sound was kick ass with everything always being engaged (but I need to tweak for my added 2 front wide speaker) Its entertaining when flying but my expectations were a little grounded in the end. 

Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities

Frustrating and disappointing. The majority of the episodes go on much longer than they have plot for and then have either a non-sensical ending or add in a completely detached from the original story plot element. The autopsy was the only episode I really enjoyed. The Viewing was interesting until it fell apart at the end.

3/10

13 hours ago, elbobo said:

Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities

Frustrating and disappointing. The majority of the episodes go on much longer than they have plot for and then have either a non-sensical ending or add in a completely detached from the original story plot element. The autopsy was the only episode I really enjoyed. The Viewing was interesting until it feel apart at the end.

3/10

I think I was on a high from The Autopsy and relatively cool first episode when I initially said this was great. The whole series took a sharp downturn for me after that. The HP Lovecraft episodes specifically were a major letdown and I'm surprised considering Del Toro seems like a huge fan. Dreams... especially was fucking stupid. 

They all clearly had a great budget to work with yet the majority of the episodes were, like you said, annoying or didn't go anywhere in some capacity. The one with the beauty cream was stretched out way too long and ultimately annoying as well. 

Barry season 1-3

I has seen season 1 and 2 before but my wife had not so I decided to do a rewatch with her before starting season 3. The level of performance this show pulls out of its actors is incredible especially with Hader and Winkler. I am glad they did not attempt a redemption arc in season 3, there is no getting around what Barry is.

This is honestly one of the top 5 shows on television currently, check it out if you have not.

9.5/10

spacer.png

The Space Between Us: 5/10

In the not too distant future (or possibly alternate present) a multi billionaire, Nathaniel Shepherd (Gary Oldman) wants to send people to Mars so that they can live there. Supposedly we are under the pretense that the earth is dying and we want to live there (kind of like how it is right now, except for the living on Mars part). Shepherd can't go there himself because he's got a brain condition that will kill him if he leaves earth, so he assembles a brave team of astronauts to go there. Sarah Elliot is the head astronaut on the mission and the film opens right before they go on this journey. Some time after they are in space they discover that Sarah is pregnant, like somehow mission control can see a sonogram with the baby inside. Now this creates a couple of dilemmas: 1. If the baby is born on Mars, it's anatomy will acclimate itself to the planet Mars and then the baby cannot return to earth or it will die. 2. They can't tell anyone about the baby because they are under the impression that it will cause bad PR (will it though?). So the baby is born and the mother dies in child birth. The film then flash forwards 16 years later where the baby is now known as Gardner Elliot (Asa Butterfield) raised by the scientists (Carla Gugino is looking after him now, talk about an upgrade!) but he is still kept a secret from earth. If the motives of the movie weren't a head-scratcher before here's where things get odd and also predictable. Obviously the boy wants to know who his mother is and about Earth and all this stuff, and he's got a high tech computer, like unheard of future tech that is also used on earth in class rooms. He somehow was able to connect with a girl on earth named Tulsa and he says he wants to meet her and all that, but since he can't leave he makes up excuses, just kind of a pen pal.

Now as a side criticism here this world is not cohesive in any way. The movie acts like we should flee earth but it seems as beautiful as ever, like there's no reason to leave. Another is we've got this high tech computer, a mars colony, some kind of POS droid, but on earth they are still flying crappy bi-planes. Huh? Anyway, Carla Gugino convinces people at NASA to bring Gardner home although he has to do some surgery to his bones because his bone density can't withstand earth, like literal Wolverine stuff (more high tech stuff). And he comes to earth and meets the girl, falls in love, wants to find his parents etc.

Second side criticism edit: The kid is supposed to be super smart, like he knows all about Thomas Jefferson, yet when he's on earth he's baffled by the sight of a horse. 😬

You can see every beat coming a mile away and the film is written in such a way it's convenient for the characters to achieve what they want. This is probably the biggest flaw of the movie. The film also feels very artificial in a way, like a movie created in a petri dish that lacks any kind of heart of any kind of human connection. The worst part is the whole Mars part of the movie didn't need to be there. It didn't really add anything and you could have created the same backstory out of a fisherman or something. The whole movie is a teacup ride without any bite. It's a shame since the cast isn't actually half bad, it's just they were given the most vanilla story imaginable.

• Thanks 1

Slumberland - 7/10

Watched this last night with the family. It’s fine. There’s kind of a twist that you can see a mile away but it’s still executed well. Def has the heart it needs with a couple scenes that trigger those damn allergies out of nowhere haha. Very good if you’re looking for a family movie this season. Not a must see otherwise. 

spacer.png

1899: 7/10

From writer and director duo Jantje Friese and Baran bo Odar, creators of Dark, comes another strange mystery. If you've seen Dark you know that nothing is quite as straightforward as it seems and that goes double for this show. It seems like the went for "let's make it strange" first and built everything else around it. It's hard to say what the show is quite like without spoiling it so you'll just have to see it to figure it out. For the most part it's about a bunch of people on a ship who have no idea why they are there. Each episode reflects on the background of that character and then we go further to figure out the mystery of the ship. That being said if you thought this would be a simple boat mystery you'll either be thrilled or disappointed with where it goes. Personally I thought it was fine, not as good as Dark which seems to be a cohesive idea. Like I said this show is more like let's make it weird and yeah they keep making it weird. It's a bit slow paced so the weirdness is strung out for a long time. If you give the show a shot, it's only 8 episodes, but if it doesn't click immediately you'll have to give it a little longer to get to the meat of the show.

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

Morbius: 7/10

Dr. Michael Morbius is a super smart scientist with an incurable blood disease. So he makes it his life's mission to cure him and his close friend he meets in the hospital during his childhood. This cure involves splicing human DNA and bat DNA and the experiment doesn't go exactly according to plan. The whole situation is almost very spider-man like, though Morbius did it under his own will unlike Peter Parker who's was a mistake. In any case the doctor is very cognizant of what is going on, and has compassion for the victims he's accused of killing and out to set things right.

It's both interesting and strange to go into this movie that is considered so bad by so many people it had become a meme. What could possibly drive so many people to pile on to a movie and declare it so horrible? The curiosity is there to see it, but is it really that bad? I don't think it is. I think this movie is about as good as any marvel movie you'll see, it's certainly at least as good or better than any phase 1 MCU movie (A lot better than Thor 1 and Captain America 1). The movie is competently acted but everyone. I think Leto turns in a very genuine performance and the story that basically pits two friends against each other was compelling. The movie doesn't look bad and the action sequences are cool. It's just too bad this movie got shit on so hard because it isn't really bad at all.

• Thanks 1

On 12/3/2022 at 9:06 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

it's certainly at least as good or better than any phase 1 MCU movie (A lot better than Thor 1 and Captain America 1). 

dude, put the pipe down! I will admit it had the bones of a good flick but it needed (and these days with the length of so many movies I can't believe I'm saying this) another 30 -40 minutes. From what I remember it just seemed like there were scenes missing, jumps in the story 

THE SUICIDE SQUAD (4K/Atmos) 4.5/5

Now that is what a Suicide Squad movie should be like. Great characters and *POOF* they are taken out of the picture . . . literally. Some deaths even surprised me (especially knowing some characters from the JL cartoon) Unlike the last movie, where Diablo was the only character I gave a crap about. Here I had several that I wanted to see live, and some didn’t, but that’s what made me love this movie. Gotta say the 4K disc looked amazing on my projector, especially when the polka dots start flying. Plus the Atmos mix was stellar with great bass action and every speaker was always engaged in one way or another. The overheads really get a work out, and really standout in the big end action sequence. Plus, can I just mention how fucking awesome Davis is at nailing the Waller character. I forgot she was in the last one too and nailed the role then, but shines here. 

Bone Tomahawk - 5/10 - Everybdoy I follow on Letterboxd loves this movie so I’m surprised I found it to be quite average and a bit too long. There’s some good acting and visuals but so much time is spent with boring dudes in a boring desert having boring conversations. Then an explosion in the last ten minutes and it just… ends. 90 minute movie stretched into 120 and then cut short somehow at the end. 

spacer.png

Mary and the Witch's Flower: 7/10

Mary and the Witch's Flower feels a bit like Castle in the Sky meets Harry Potter (Unlike Harry Potter you won't feel dirty about enjoying this movie). The Studio Ghibli aesthetic is no surprise given the director of the film, Yonebayashi Hiromasa, who had previously directed The Secret World of Arrietty and When Marnie Was There. The film follows a clumsy girl who accidentally gets magic powers and flies to a magic academy in the sky but Mary soon discovers that the academy is run by evil shitheads that kidnap her friend and she goes there to rescue her friend and thwart their plan.

As mentioned earlier it does feel Ghibliesque right down to the look but the animation isn't quite up to their standard, this movie produced by Studio Ponoc and this was their first feature film. That being said the animation is good and there are some cool moments such has a lot of the water effects. It's an okay story, the main character is a bit obtuse at times. Like, if you had just learned magic I don't think you'd forget you have a magic broom or could cast magic spells shortly after. That being said this movie feels like it follows @Greatoneshere's desired template he laid out in the Mario thread. The girl is the main protagonist and she kind of is there to rescue the guy, but the guy is actually more competent than her and she's kind of a klutz, however, at the outcome at the end is actually refreshing. Mary and the Witch's Flower does some things differently if not feeling a bit derivative but not as good as other works. Still enjoyable overall.

• Thanks 1