~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

Finally finished Vikings. I’ve been watching it for about a year, taking a few breaks. Overall, I liked it, though it really felt meandering a lot of the time. Some plot lines just seemed to add nothing and bored me. But there were some really great moments. And the last season, particularly the second half, was a really great ride with some truly amazing character moments. The ending nailed it, in my opinion. I went from hating Ivar, to sympathizing with him, back to a mix of love/hate. Honestly, he was a great character and the actor did a phenomenal job. In the end, I think Ubbe was my all around favorite. 

While it doesn’t come close to The Last Kingdom(tied with The Wire for being my favorite show ever), it was overall a really solid show with more ups than downs. And I love Viking history. I give this a solid 7.5/10. 

Im sure I’ll be watching Vikings: Valhalla in the near future. 

spacer.png

PIg: 8/10

Who knew the truffle game was so cutthroat? It was interesting the week this came out I floated this as a possible substitute for the Anthony Bourdain movie that I was going to see with someone else. Little did I know how similar the movies would be. A first time film from writer and director Michael Sarnoski is actually pretty good. It starts off with Nic Cage's truffle pig getting kidnapped and we start thinking, "is this going to be John Wick but with a pig?" but then we're taken down the dark underbelly of the culinary scene. I think the charm of the movie is taking what would have been kind of ordinary subject matter and making it somewhat compelling and also visually engaging. You can add this to the good Nic Cage movie pile.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, gamer.tv said:

We’ve started watching Grey’s Anatomy and it might be the perfect thing to watch an episode of as a couple in a) their early 30’s b) never seen this c) love a good mid-2000s trope 

that show has great seasons but also some that suck ass. i can’t remember which seasons but there’s a couple seasons in the middle that suck, then it gets really good again, then like after season 12 or something it hits a strong decline into one of the worst shows on tv. 

THE INVISIBLE MAN (‘20) 4K/Atmos 4.5/5

Fuck am I becoming a huge fan of anything Leigh Whannell newest works. Upgrade if you haven’t seen, is fucking amazing with so many great camera angles. Thankfully he has a couple great new angles/holy shit moments to show off in this film too. It is tense from the get go and he is always leaving empty space to be filled by the viewers imagination. It’s like the Garfield cartoons without Garfield included and just conversations with John. (Adrian in this case) Gotta say the picture quality is a little soft looking but seems on purpose, but do they ever have some fun with the Atmos track. Just ups that tension/creep factor in so many ways and just keep the film going along. If they ever do follow through on the American version of The Raid and need a new director. Give this man the job, but I would love to see him be let loose with a big action film. 

• Halal 1

I'm having a hard time with 8-1/2 by Fellini currently. I saw it several times when I was a kid, my uncle loved Fellini. Revisiting this one now, it's stunningly gorgeous, most of the sequences are great but the pacing, structure, something about it bored me to the point I had to stop halfway through. Watched another 20 minutes the next day and paused again. It's not like I don't watch all sorts of films from all eras, of all lengths and what not. I think I'm more frustrated by not enjoying it more as a film because the images are living in my head right now and the segment about his childhood bedtime is haunting me. 

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

Wednesday: 9/10

I've said plenty about this show in the Wednesday thread and having just finished it my analysis remains the same. Wednesday is an outstanding show and the Addams Family spinoff you never knew you needed. It's similar to Harry Potter in that it's about Wednesday at a magic school (of sorts) and she's there solving a mystery. Except, this has cooler characters. The dark humor and quips are spot on, giving me shades of Veronica Mars almost in terms of wit. It's a strong contrast to that Werewolf movie I watched recently that had all it's jokes land with a thud, Wednesday's jokes hit their mark every time. Finally of course, Ortega is spectacular. She's on another level with this role, a perfect fit. If you haven't seen it by now you should probably fix that soon.

• Shocked 1

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

spacer.png

Wednesday: 9/10

I've said plenty about this show in the Wednesday thread and having just finished it my analysis remains the same. Wednesday is an outstanding show and the Addams Family spinoff you never knew you needed. It's similar to Harry Potter in that it's about Wednesday at a magic school (of sorts) and she's there solving a mystery. Except, this has cooler characters. The dark humor and quips are spot on, giving me shades of Veronica Mars almost in terms of wit. It's a strong contrast to that Werewolf movie I watched recently that had all it's jokes land with a thud, Wednesday's jokes hit their mark every time. Finally of course, Ortega is spectacular. She's on another level with this role, a perfect fit. If you haven't seen it by now you should probably fix that soon.

Addams Family Values is one of my favorite movies of all time and this one isn't working for me after an episode. I think I might've not been in the mood though so I'll give it another shot. 

And no, I'm not kidding, Values is literally one of my favorite movies ever. Arthouse shit and all be damned. 

• Sicko 1
  • Halal 1

spacer.png

The Third Murder: 8/10

The Third Murder is a legal drama written and directed by Hirokazu Kore-eda. I've only seen Nobody Knows from him but I might have to fix that soon. In any case the film is very non-conventional. It begins with a man, Misumi Takashi, murdering his boss. From there it's up to his legal defense team to reduce his sentence so he won't get the death penalty. It's a long journey of the lawyers putting in work to figure out why he did it. It's a unique perspective you don't usually get to see, lawyers doing investigative work to make a compelling case rather than similar dramas where things just are very straightforward. One last thing I'll say is the final shot of the movie is probably one of the coolest things you'll see.

• Thanks 1

Puss and Boots: I forget the Subtitle

9/10

Brought my son to the theater(first time since Sonic before Covid for him) to see it today. Uhhh it’s fucking fantastic. During the action sequences they switch to a “Spiderverse” style of animation that looks fantastic. Story is great, the emotional parts land really well and the it’s funny as hell. John Mulaney as the bad guy crushes it. Def recommend it. 

On 1/1/2023 at 11:17 AM, gamer.tv said:

We’ve started watching Grey’s Anatomy and it might be the perfect thing to watch an episode of as a couple in a) their early 30’s b) never seen this c) love a good mid-2000s trope 

I know most of it through my wife who loves it..  early seasons are definitely a cut above many shows.. there is a lull when a certain character shows up that signals the “perfect run” is over but it regains good momentum for a good while longer..

The Warriors 10/10… Will never go out of style, characters, visuals, soundtrack…. Walter Hill movies are always good (Can You Dig It?) Gangs are still awesome as ever. I watched my old Directors Cut Dvd unfortunately (only Directors Cut that downgrades the film).. I was tempted to upgrade to Blu Ray since it came out last year and included the original cut…. unfortunately the DC is Blu Ray and Original Cut is DVD.. Heres hoping for 4K soon.

In seeing the added special features it talks about other “gang” movies of the 70s… apparently The Wanderers is another film to be on the lookout for 

spacer.png

W.: 6/10

I might be being generous with the score but this is a strange film. Like, why was it made? It's pretty much a retelling of his life up to the end of his presidency (the film even released when he still had a couple of months left to go). It's a bit uneven of his portrayal. At the beginning of the movie it makes him seem like a brilliant guy but then the rest makes it seem like he was some fuckup who just wanted to be better than his dad (so very true to life!). It's not a very interesting life and generally not too compelling either.

So as much as the subject matter seems redundant it seems played straight for the most part, like this all star cast. Probably the biggest compliment you could give to the Bush family is the star studded cast they used to portray them. Toby Jones as Karl Rove seemed about right though. In any case like I said before, the feeling you get throughout and even at the end of the movie is "Why?" A well made, directed and acted film but leaves you feeling empty.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

W.: 6/10

I might be being generous with the score but this is a strange film. Like, why was it made? It's pretty much a retelling of his life up to the end of his presidency (the film even released when he still had a couple of months left to go). It's a bit uneven of his portrayal. At the beginning of the movie it makes him seem like a brilliant guy but then the rest makes it seem like he was some fuckup who just wanted to be better than his dad (so very true to life!). It's not a very interesting life and generally not too compelling either.

So as much as the subject matter seems redundant it seems played straight for the most part, like this all star cast. Probably the biggest compliment you could give to the Bush family is the star studded cast they used to portray them. Toby Jones as Karl Rove seemed about right though. In any case like I said before, the feeling you get throughout and even at the end of the movie is "Why?" A well made, directed and acted film but leaves you feeling empty.

I actually think this is a really good watch as a double feature with Vice (W. first, then Vice).

Aftersun

I can’t fully articulate just how emotionally overwhelming this movie was to me. I saw it earlier this week and it just keeps replaying in my head, over and over, amplifying each time. It’s a simple story about a young woman remembering a vacation she took with her father, but the real magic is in how the story is told. We learn so much about these characters based on what is both said and not said, what is both seen and unseen. It made me sort of spiral (in a good way) thinking back on trips I took with my recently divorced parents when I was roughly this kid’s age, remembering how I experienced them as that child and seeing them with a fresh perspective and empathy for what my parents must have really been feeling in those moments. Simply beautiful piece of work.

• Halal 1

spacer.png

This Guy Is The Biggest Mistake of My Life (この男は人生最大の過ちです): 7/10

So as you know I generally watch Korean dramas. I mainly like the outside of the box thinking and stuff like that. But I thought, why don't I watch a Japanese show since I can sort of understand it? Upon watching this

Arrested Development Mistake GIF

Only joking of course, sort of. It's based on a manga of the same name. It follows a woman, Yui Sato, who's dog just died and she takes out her frustration on some dude at a bar. Little does she know that the guy turns out to be the president of the company she works for. The thing is that president becomes infatuated with her and would like to be romantically involved but she rejects him. But the problem here is he wants to be her slave and basically gets off on being humiliated so any attempt to reject him is stimulating for him. So while the show is supposed to be humorous it's hard to kick the yucky feeling you get from watching basically workplace harassment from a person in power. Perhaps this would have worked better as an anime since it's cartoony and not real people.

But other than that there are a lot of things I like about the show. I like that it's fairly easy to understand. For some reason anime has complicated phrases but on this show most of the language is easy to follow. I also like it as it's a slice of modern Japanese life. So often you see a Japanese home and it's like tatami mats and old looking but here they live in modern buildings, work in modern buildings, heck they even have garages where she lives. I think the intro really shows this off, and the intro is pretty cool too how it shows both sides going to the same location, he takes a car and she takes the train (so you know @b_m_b_m_b_m is down)  and arrive at the same time. The guy literally crosses the line at the end though, which is basically the theme of the show. Only 10 episodes though so check it out of you're curious and not absolutely turned of by the premise. :p

• Haha 3

spacer.png

Poltergeist - 9/10

I've been meaning to revisit Poltergeist for ages and finally got around to it. I know it was directed by Tobe Hooper but Spielberg was involved and it absolutely has that Spielberg/Amblin "magic" for me. It knows exactly what it is, what it wants to be and executes it at the highest level possible. It's gorgeously shot, beautifully constructed and has incredibly endearing performances by the whole cast. 

Much like Ghostbusters, this movie almost feels like an intrinsic part of my childhood and yet I appreciate it even more now that I understand just how masterful they are. 

• Thanks 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

White Lotus S2 - 9/10

I thought the first season was fine. Beautifully shot and acted but I lost interest as it went along. This season was fantastic throughout, incredibly compelling. The Sicilian setting was also way more of a character itself than Hawaii. 

“My Achilles heel is an Achilles cock, it’s like a Greek tragedy” 😂😂 line of the year 

spacer.png

A Sound of Thunder: 6/10

A Sound of Thunder is based off of the Ray Bradbury story of the same name. It stars Ben Kingsley and Edward Burns in what I'd call a film a bit too ambitious than it's budget. It takes place in 2055 where a rich dude has the only time machine in the world and naturally like any rich person would do, uses it for profit by conducting safari's where they take rich people back in time to kill dinosaurs. There are strict rules to the hunt of course because any small thing could alter the course of history, so you can only stay on this force field path that does not touch the ground and the ammunition are nitrogen bullets that leave no trace, the dinosaur they kill is the same one and supposedly is seconds from dying in a tar pit. But, as you would expect, there is a small change in time that causes waves of time to affect the present time period. It's kind of like that Simpsons episode where Homer goes back in time and steps on a butterfly and time changes (in fact it was probably inspired by the same story).

It's a film not entirely too interesting until something goes wrong and when it does it's fun to see the new creatures that inhabit the earth once they come back. However, this is where the film gets too hungry because boy the special effects look BAD with a capital B (all caps in fact). Early on there are a lot of just completely CG shots with a total green screen set. Not unlike how the Star War prequels looked except if they were at the quality of mid '90s CG TV shows like ReBoot and Beast Wars. I feel like the guns used the XCom plasma gun sound effects as well. Almost hard to believe this had an 80 million dollar budget, where did all the money go? I feel like other than the budget, which is kind of a huge distraction everything else is fine, it comes off as almost a cheesy creature feature with an interesting story. Certainly a fun watch.

• Thanks 1

Andor

I loved it. I can't really pinpoint what it is, the show has a very unusually quality about that I have a hard time describing, just the ordinariness of how everything feels. No Skywalkers, no force, no saving the whole galaxy just a group of mostly ordinary folks put into something they really didn't sign up for and on the other side no Emperor or Vader just some middle management officers.

9/10

spacer.png

No: 8/10

Based on real life events, No takes place in the late 1980s right before a referendum to remove dictator Augusto Pinochet from power. It stars Gael García Bernal, who's already been in several high profile movies, as some guy who works in advertising. He gets hired by the "No" campaign to achieve the impossible, to actually persuade people to vote no and overthrow a dictator in an election. It's pretty interesting to see how they went about doing this, kind of makes me wish they'd do something like this in the states. As for the look of the film, I think it's a love it or leave it kind of thing. I do respect they actually went out and filmed it on u-matic video cameras but I personally cannot stand that look, it kind of gives me a headache after a while. Other than that I really have no complaints. As someone had no idea this was a thing that happened the film really captured my attention.

I started Mythic Quest last night and I’m on season 2 now, I’m enjoying it. It’s pretty fun and breezy and I have a crush on Poppy ofc. I realized that Rachel is Aloy and also Chloe from Life is Strange and she also writes for this as well as acts in it. I like her in it too she has great chemistry with the actress that plays Dana and watching them is cute. The running hr gag makes me lol. 

Though honestly the Dark Quiet Death one off episode was probably my favorite so far, I thought that was very very well done and I was impressed how much mileage they got out of 36 minutes.

7 hours ago, stepee said:

I started Mythic Quest last night and I’m on season 2 now, I’m enjoying it. It’s pretty fun and breezy and I have a crush on Poppy ofc. I realized that Rachel is Aloy and also Chloe from Life is Strange and she also writes for this as well as acts in it. I like her in it too she has great chemistry with the actress that plays Dana and watching them is cute. The running hr gag makes me lol. 

I first knew Ashly Burch (Rachel) from dumb video game themed YouTube videos she made with her brother over a decade ago. It’s been cool to watch her go from that to a very successful VO/acting career. 

• Like 1