Happy 30th, Final Fantasy VI!

I got it for my 14th birthday. My mother scoured through SEVERAL video game stores to find it, as for some reason three years after it came out it was hard to find. I never asked what she dropped cash wise on it, but it had to be a lot.

FFVI, Chrono Trigger, A Link to the Past, and Mario Bros 3 are the four games I’ve replayed the most. 

6 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

You’re missing out on one of the GOAT Final Fantasies.

Well what's the best way to play it? If some how I could get it on steam and maybe mod it that would be ideal. I don't think I can stomach those old school visuals etc. 

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Well what's the best way to play it? If some how I could get it on steam and maybe mod it that would be ideal. I don't think I can stomach those old school visuals etc. 

It’s on every single console.

12 minutes ago, best3444 said:

The pixel remaster is on steam for $18.

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

The original FINAL FANTASY VI comes to life with completely new graphics and audio! A remodeled 2D take on the sixth game in the world-renowned FINAL FANTASY series! Enjoy the timeless story told through charming retro graphics.

If you think pixel art is "old school visuals" that you can't stomach then you might be out of luck.  There's no like, FFVII remake level version.

• Halal 1

14 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I think the Switch version is considered the best one since it fixed the crappy text. If the steam version fixed the text I'd probably go that route.

Just now, Slug said:

The pixel remaster is on steam for $18.

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

The original FINAL FANTASY VI comes to life with completely new graphics and audio! A remodeled 2D take on the sixth game in the world-renowned FINAL FANTASY series! Enjoy the timeless story told through charming retro graphics.

If you think pixel art is "old school visuals" that you can't stomach then you might be out of luck.  There's no like, FFVII remake level version.

Thank you very much! We shall see!

21 minutes ago, best3444 said:

44 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yea, I was 12 when this released. :/

Hang on, you’re two years older than me and you can’t handle pixel art?

3 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Hang on, you’re two years older than me and you can’t handle pixel art?

I haven't played with that type of visual style in so long. I probably can appreciate it since I grew up with it. In fact, pixel art aged better than most visual styles. 

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think the Switch version is considered the best one since it fixed the crappy text. If the steam version fixed the text I'd probably go that route.

From the second last patch:

A “Font type” option has been added to the config screen. This allows you to select between the “modern” font made for this version of the game or the “classic” font in the style of the original game.

Looking at some of the other patch notes, they've changed some of the Esper level up bonuses, the most interesting being speed bonuses. Odin gives +2 to speed instead of +1 but Raiden now gives +2 to speed instead of +2 to strength so you can get Raiden right away without losing the option to boost speed. A couple Espers that didn't have bonuses now do (for another +1 to speed and to replace the +2 to strength that Raiden lost). I still don't see anything about getting to keep items stolen from the last boss like in the GBA version unfortunately.

23 minutes ago, stepee said:

Man and I spent fucking $80 on this 30 years ago - games are so damn cheap now, younger people don’t realize 

I had to buy Star Wars Shadow of the Empire at launch on the 64 for $95. My poor mom just bought it for me and I didn't understand why it cost so much. 

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I had to buy Star Wars Shadow of the Empire at launch on the 64 for $95. My poor mom just bought it for me and I didn't understand why it cost so much. 

Imagine buying a game now for almost $190 and it’s like 4 hours long lol

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

I'll check psn for this and maybe try it out. Is there mini games in this?

Sort of. There is the coliseum that except for 1 fight to get a character back into your party is completely optional. Other than that I suppose you could argue that a few things that happen once or twice are mini games.

There are 2 spots where you control multiple parties with multiple advancing enemy parties and a stationary boss. They're both mandatory but not difficult.

For the opera scene you have to select the right text at number of points. You're supposed to read a book for the correct lines before hand but you can always look up the correct lines and keep them handy either on paper or your phone, just don't take too long picking an option.

There's a "fishing mini game" where you walk up to fish along the shore, grab at least one and bring it to an NPC. It's mandatory and has an effect on the NPC but it's just at one point. You'll be making multiple trips bringing fish but once it's done, it's not repeatable. Whether you get the good or bad scene doesn't matter for the rest of the game so go ahead and keep bring fish and just YouTube the other outcome if you don't feel like trying for both (either save before hand or on different play throughs of the whole game).

Besides that there are a few sequences that are different than most of the game such as the serpent trench that could be loosely considered minigames if you stretch it. Don't bother trying to figure out the correct time for the clock in Zozo by talking to NPCs, just look it up online. I suppose you could consider the auction house a mini game but it's more like a store that wastes your time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dualhunter said:

Sort of. There is the coliseum that except for 1 fight to get a character back into your party is completely optional. Other than that I suppose you could argue that a few things that happen once or twice are mini games.

There are 2 spots where you control multiple parties with multiple advancing enemy parties and a stationary boss. They're both mandatory but not difficult.

For the opera scene you have to select the right text at number of points. You're supposed to read a book for the correct lines before hand but you can always look up the correct lines and keep them handy either on paper or your phone, just don't take too long picking an option.

There's a "fishing mini game" where you walk up to fish along the shore, grab at least one and bring it to an NPC. It's mandatory and has an effect on the NPC but it's just at one point. You'll be making multiple trips bringing fish but once it's done, it's not repeatable. Whether you get the good or bad scene doesn't matter for the rest of the game so go ahead and keep bring fish and just YouTube the other outcome if you don't feel like trying for both (either save before hand or on different play throughs of the whole game).

Besides that there are a few sequences that are different than most of the game such as the serpent trench that could be loosely considered minigames if you stretch it. Don't bother trying to figure out the correct time for the clock in Zozo by talking to NPCs, just look it up online. I suppose you could consider the auction house a mini game but it's more like a store that wastes your time.

Wow. Thank you for the detailed response. 

This was one of the games I was most hyped about as a child. There was an EGM issue with a big preview of it (and I believe a moogle on the cover) and I cut those pages out and took them to school with me to show friends :lol: It lived up to the hype too I think I've beat it 4 times now and it is one of my favorite games of all time (if not my favorite). I'm pretty sure it will get the remake like VII is which will be very interesting. 

FF6 is a game I played for the first time in 2007, after I played FF7 and X and X-12 and XII. I don't remember if I played 8/9 before or after, but I can say despite playing all these other FFs, I really dug 6 for a lot of reasons. @Fizzzzle ended up being a great secondary villain who gives one of my favorite lines.

Spoiler

l7d6vm07etc71.jpg

9 hours ago, legend said:

I suspect if they remake 6, they're going to split it into parts as well. Maybe after 7 part 3 and doing the full world map + air ship they'd be more comfortable doing this though.

Yeah I was thinking 7 part 3 is basically a first pass at this. Would they have to split VI into 4 parts :thinking:

• Like 1