Happy 30th, Final Fantasy VI!

I'm not sure why people think Square Enix will ever remake FF6 when producer Yoshinori Kitase recently came out and said it would take twice as long as FF7's remake trilogy, which he said took 10 years, meaning an FF6 remake would take them 20 years, according to him (not sure where he's getting 10 years, it's longer since episode 3 is still not out and the trilogy entered production in late 2015). While many employees at the company want to do an FF6 remake apparently, if he thinks it would take 20 years I don't see it happening and he just said this in January. A lot of people are thinking an FF9 remake is next, which is fine I guess. I would have loved an FF8 one, as that is my favorite one (after FF12). Remember, Square Enix recently came out saying it was looking to scale back the amount of projects they greenlight, and an FF8 remake has been pretty expressly ruled out which also probably hurts FF6's chances. :( We also can't forget Dragon Quest XII, FF7: Episode 3 and Kingdom Hearts 4 are all also in the works, and those will take years. Here are the news pieces on this:

WWW.IGN.COM

A remake of Final Fantasy 6 is a hot topic within the walls of Square Enix as many members of its development teams are eager to make it.

WWW.PUSHSQUARE.COM

Twice as long as FF7 - Final Fantasy 7 Remake was a game long thought to be a pipe dream, but Square Enix eventually made it happen. It's being released in t...

WWW.GAMINGBIBLE.COM

Yoshi-P just dropped a major tease suggesting that a Final Fantasy IX remake is on the way.

WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

“We really have to think very hard about taking on any kind of project like that.”

FFVI is my favorite JRPG. I appreciate that it's not paced as well or has characters as interesting as Chrono Trigger, it's probably not as much of a leap forward for the genre or series as FFIV was, and its impact is a ripple next to FFVII's splash. But it came out at the right time in my life for me to go absolutely apeshit over it and the nostalgia is undefeated. I have a lot of early internet memories tied to it as well, it came out when the transition away from BBS to modern websites was in full swing and there was a lot of fansite bullshit out there on places like Geocities that had nonsense like how to get General Leo in your party that didn't work and required a shitload of effort.

Obviously I'd play a remake, but I love the game as it is, warts and all, and I think it kind of stinks that in versions like the Pixel Remaster, the Sketch glitch is fixed. Is it better that your save can't get totally corrupted? Of course, but I like an inventory with 500+ Excaliburs for Shadow to throw like they're ninja stars and for everyone to dual wield Atma Weapons.

Rebirth has really gone a long way to illustrate that an old game can still feel like a mostly new experience.  It just takes a gargantuan leap in fidelity and redesign around that.  I love the combat system.

OG FF6 is perfect for what it is.  But I honestly wouldn’t mind a modern take that could be its own thing too.  30 years is more than enough time.

I remember FF6’s plot points a lot more vividly than FF7’s though.

14 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

FFVI is my favorite JRPG. I appreciate that it's not paced as well or has characters as interesting as Chrono Trigger, it's probably not as much of a leap forward for the genre or series as FFIV was, and its impact is a ripple next to FFVII's splash. But it came out at the right time in my life for me to go absolutely apeshit over it and the nostalgia is undefeated. I have a lot of early internet memories tied to it as well, it came out when the transition away from BBS to modern websites was in full swing and there was a lot of fansite bullshit out there on places like Geocities that had nonsense like how to get General Leo in your party that didn't work and required a shitload of effort.

Obviously I'd play a remake, but I love the game as it is, warts and all, and I think it kind of stinks that in versions like the Pixel Remaster, the Sketch glitch is fixed. Is it better that your save can't get totally corrupted? Of course, but I like an inventory with 500+ Excaliburs for Shadow to throw like they're ninja stars and for everyone to dual wield Atma Weapons.

There was a set of Game Genie codes that changed the drops so you'd get all sorts of good stuff including Marvel Shoes, Atma Weapons, Ragnaroks and Illuminas. They'd drop through out the game so you'd have them early on. Atma is weak with low HP and the other 2 swords drain MP so it can be worth using something else like Excalibur early on (though if Edgar and Locke haven't learned magic yet, there's no sense worrying about MP), but Illumina one shots the early bosses even at low level and even when it doesn't trigger Pearl.

10 hours ago, Dodger said:

I have zero desire to have a remake with a combat system like the 7 remakes with stagger bars and shit. 7 was good for this kind of remake because the graphics were always ass.

There's no reason to assume an FF6 remake would adopt the same combat system as the FF7 remake. It could, but I don't think that's a given. Either way an FF6 remake probably isn't happening.

7 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

There's no reason to assume an FF6 remake would adopt the same combat system as the FF7 remake. It could, but I don't think that's a given. Either way an FF6 remake probably isn't happening.

If they wanted to do a real-timish game, I think the core structure of FF7R's combat actually is a good fit. Both 7 and 6 were ATB games. If memory serves 6 has a bit more custom actions between different character than OG7, but that actually plays well into how have 7R has each character play differently with their own ability set.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to something more turn based either if we ever got this.

• True 1

34 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

With them saying it would take "twice as long" as the 7R to do this I assume it would be along the sort of game that 7 is. Also the combat in 7 is the basic direction they've been going since like XIII. If they ever do it I'd like something similar to the rumored 9 remake which is supposed to be smaller in scope. 

55 minutes ago, Dodger said:

With them saying it would take "twice as long" as the 7R to do this I assume it would be along the sort of game that 7 is. Also the combat in 7 is the basic direction they've been going since like XIII. If they ever do it I'd like something similar to the rumored 9 remake which is supposed to be smaller in scope. 

Sure, I'm just saying you can't automatically presume it would be like 7R's combat specifically. As I said, it certainly could, but it's not a given. And again, as others have pointed out, FF6 would work well in FF7R's combat system theoretically.