Update (04/01): temporary channel to open next to collapsed Key Bridge for commercial boats

The entire Port of Baltimore is blocked. No cargo is getting in and out until the debris is cleared, and that won’t happen until search and rescue operations are complete. Product availability’s gonna take a hit for quite a while. 

ABCNEWS.GO.COM

A container ship struck Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge early Tuesday.

An unclassified Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency report said the container ship Dali "lost propulsion" as it was leaving port and warned Maryland officials of a possible collision.

The crew notified officials that they had lost control, the report said.

"The vessel notified MD Department of Transportation (MDOT) that they had lost control of the vessel and an allision with the bridge was possible," the report said. "The vessel struck the bridge causing a complete collapse."

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Two people have been pulled from the water - one was apparently unhurt, the other is in critical condition.

I’m interested to find out how many cars were on the bridge. Closest thing I heard on the news was that “sonar showed multiple cars underwater”. What a scary way to go.

11 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

As you'd expect, the dumbest motherfuckers on Twitter are wondering if this was a terror attack. THEY'RE JUST ASKING QUESTIONS

The same people who laughed when president dipshit insulted Bmore is my guess. 

News from the latest Baltimore briefing:

- At least 8 people involved: 1 taken to hospital, 1 not injured, 6 still missing
- All 8 were part of the construction crew
- Construction crew was repairing potholes
- Ship notified authorities of a power issue before the crash

Governor Wes Moore: 

There was a mayday issued and a temporary stop of traffic before the boat, which was traveling 8 knots, hit the bridge. 

Moore says that decision saved lives.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

As you'd expect, the dumbest motherfuckers on Twitter are wondering if this was a terror attack. THEY'RE JUST ASKING QUESTIONS

No they’re proclaiming the captain was a trans black lesbian who was promoted because of DEI

• True 2

29 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I saw a video where you could see the boat oncoming and traffic was still coming across but you could tell there was a definite pause in traffic before impact. The vehicles I saw that fell into the harbor were parked with lights on.

Wondering why word didn't get to the construction crew in time.

I grew up in Baltimore County and my dad works at Hopkins. Fortunately, no one I know seems to have been involved (it was late at night). Hope the people who suffered it end up okay :(

And yeah, 95 and 895 are going to fucking blow so much harder than they already did!

There's now some discussion as to whether "bumpers" around the bridge struts could've mitigated this disaster, but that seems highly unlikely considering the potential momentum that this ship had at the time of impact.

Using the momentum equation: p (momentum) = mass x velocity:

mass = 95,128 (metric?) tons = 95,128,000 kg

velocity = 8 knots = 14.82 km/h = 4.12 m/s

momentum = 95,128,000 x 4.12 = 391,927,360 kg m/s = 263,363,034 lbs f/s

• Shocked 1

8 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

There's now some discussion as to whether "bumpers" around the bridge struts could've mitigated this disaster, but that seems highly unlikely considering the potential momentum that this ship had at the time of impact.

Using the momentum equation: p (momentum) = mass x velocity):

That's why you put bumpers on the bumpers

9 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Using the momentum equation: p (momentum) = mass x velocit):

Well, how strong are the bumpers?

7 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Well, how strong are the bumpers?

I really can't answer that, but you can see examples of them at the base of the electricity pylons in this picture:

imrs.php?src=https%3A%2F%2Farc-anglerfis

The question is whether they could've been retrofitted on the struts of the bridge in the first place.

Lightweight concrete was used in the 1970s construction of Baltimore’s Francis Scott Key Bridge “to improve structural efficiency,” according to a November 2021 report by the US Federal Highway Administration. The report noted that “the material is not commonly used for bridge construction” but “can be used as a durable and cost-effective material for bridges.”

The report seems to give the material mixed reviews, listing “enhanced durability” as a “counterintuitive” benefit while citing “reduced durability” and “lack of familiarity of contractors with lightweight concrete” as “disadvantages.”

Probably didn’t matter but you love to see cutting corners on bridges 

16 minutes ago, Brian said:

Probably didn’t matter but you love to see cutting corners on bridges 

Question is what are they going to do now? Rebuild the bridge using the existing schematics and towers, or go for a new design? Either option will take years and at least a billion $.