Akira Toriyama, creator of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, dead at 68

• Bacon changed the title to Akira Toriyama, creator of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, dead at 68

Well, fuck. I just saw this news as well. He just started working on Dragon Ball Daima and he also has his old passion project, Sand Land, finally getting some attention. I can't even begin to describe his influence on the shonen action genre.

24 minutes ago, best3444 said:

RIP 🙏 

I never watched that stuff but I understand how important it is to so many. 

It's really hard to explain how DBZ really became such such a part of the black and Latin American 90s zeitgeist. As a Puerto Rican kid born in 82, growing up in a largely Hispanic community, DBZ and Neo Geo arcade cabinets were my childhood.

I remember in the early/mid 90s asking my parents for a VCR for Christmas specifically to record the Spanish dubs of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z airing on Telemundo.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

It's really hard to explain how DBZ really became such such a part of the black and Latin American 90s zeitgeist. As a Puerto Rican kid born in 82, growing up in a largely Hispanic community, DBZ and Neo Geo arcade cabinets were my childhood.

I remember in the early/mid 90s asking my parents for a VCR for Christmas specifically to record the Spanish dubs of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z airing on Telemundo.

The Spanish dub was also the best non-native dub by a LOT. 

• Halal 1

Looks like it was an acute subdural hematoma on March 1st. 
I’ve been saddened by celebrity deaths in the past, but this one is absolutely devastating me. It just feels so unreal.

I’m very glad I got this drawing and signature years ago:

IMG-4513.jpg

• Hugs 2

1 hour ago, CastletonSnob said:

Does his death still not feel real to anyone else?

Nope and it's really not going to help that the Sand Land series starts airing later this month, the game comes out next month, and Dragon Ball Daima lands later in the fall anime season.

That's also ignoring that the most recent chapter of the Dragon Ball Super manga came out nearly a month ago so Toyotarou should, by now, be finishing up chapter 103 based on the final notes and comments he got from Toriyama.

There was a decade or two where the only thing Toriyama was doing was character design for Dragon Quest. Until now, he was as busy as he had every been.

This one is going to suck for a while.

14 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Nope and it's really not going to help that the Sand Land series starts airing later this month, the game comes out next month, and Dragon Ball Daima lands later in the fall anime season.

That's also ignoring that the most recent chapter of the Dragon Ball Super manga came out nearly a month ago so Toyotarou should, by now, be finishing up chapter 103 based on the final notes and comments he got from Toriyama.

There was a decade or two where the only thing Toriyama was doing was character design for Dragon Quest. Until now, he was as busy as he had every been.

This one is going to suck for a while.

I remember reading the Sand Land oneshot in the US version of Shonen Jump.

On 3/8/2024 at 12:08 AM, Ricofoley said:

Wasn't that much of a Dragonball guy, but just for the Chrono Trigger character designs on their own he's an absolute legend

chrono_trigger_art.0.jpg

Chrono Trigger was something we never got enough of. It was my second RPG after Mario RPG, before I made the full dive into Final Fantasy. I remember joking at the time that Cloud and Sephiroth were palette swaps of Crono and Magus.

17 minutes ago, Jason said:

Apparently in Mexico they were advertising the home stretch of Super episodes like a boxing match.

c3e.jpg

They actually got into trouble over this, but Mexico didn't really care. Just look at that crowd.

16 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

They actually got into trouble over this, but Mexico didn't really care. Just look at that crowd.

The screenings were being put on by the Mexican government and the Japanese government sent them an official diplomatic communication telling them to knock it off, and the Mexican government just ignored it. :lol:

On 3/8/2024 at 6:30 AM, LazyPiranha said:

First Miura, now Toriyama…

I was just thinking about this. Miura shared his vision for the end of Berserk, so Berserk can be completed. I'm sure Toriyama shared the ending of Dragon Ball Super with Toyotarou. Not that hard to guess, since DBS should end with the start of the 28th Tournament where Goku continues his terrible father streak and takes Uub on as his student.

Toriyama also probably shared the conclusion of Dragon Ball Daima with the studio, but that one is easy since it finishes where Dragon Ball Super begins.

The real mystery is what happens after Dragon Ball Z. I don't know if Toriyama has ever shared that with anyone.

About a week or so ago I was thinking about Goku’s VA (the real one, not the American dude) and how she’s pushing 90 (she’s 87) and hoping they’d get more DBS anime out before it’s too late… and then Toriyama passes, someone who absolutely wasn’t on my radar.

Someone else I’ve been thinking about lately is Harry Shearer (Mr. Burns, Ned Flanders, Principal Skinner, Kent Brockman, etc) as he’s 80.

13 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

It’s hard to imagine Dragon Ball even ending, it’s not like there’s some sort of logical conclusion it just goes.  Berserk had a major conflict that could, in theory, end.  

The thing is DBZ ended in 1995/96. What's wild is how enduring its story has been. Like if you go back to 1995 you can find Spider-Man games, but they aren't telling the same story the recent Spider-Man games are telling. Go back to 1995 and you can find a game where you can replay the fight with Frieza on the SNES and then fast forward to today and you can replay that exact same fight on the PS5 with DBZ: Kakarot. No changes. No update to the story. No update to the characters. Just the exact same fight with the exact same characters on the exact same planet, just updated with modern graphics for a new generation of players.

I can't even think of anything else with such a lasting legacy. The original Star Wars trilogy and then...ummmm...

The gathering in Argentina was something else.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 2:44 PM, Ghost_MH said:

Some of my favorite reactions were from watching mass groups like this…

It just made it feel like it was “our” universe at stake and we were all watching it play out

THEDAOOFDRAGONBALL.COM

According to Akira Toriyama’s former assistant on Dr. Slump and Dragon Ball, Toriyama had a brain tumor and an operation to treat it prior to his death. Details and translation here. Takashi Matsuyama, age 66, worked as an assistant for Akira Toriyama, and continued to be close f

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...