Akira Toriyama, creator of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, dead at 68

Well, fuck. Toyotarou has confirmed that the last thing Toriyama ever did for the Dragon Ball manga was suggest adding Piccolo waving goodbye in the second to last panel here. This entire sequence of Goku finally meeting Pan was already quite lovely without knowing it was Toriyama's final addition with his all time favorite Dragon Ball character.

Ou4S7HB.jpeg

VXRf4rU.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Well, fuck. Toyotarou has confirmed that the last thing Toriyama ever did for the Dragon Ball manga was suggest adding Piccolo waving goodbye in the second to last panel here. This entire sequence of Goku finally meeting Pan was already quite lovely without knowing it was Toriyama's final addition with his all time favorite Dragon Ball character.

Ou4S7HB.jpeg

VXRf4rU.jpeg

Wait how long ago was this drawn? 

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

Wait how long ago was this drawn? 

Dragon Ball Super is a monthly series and this chapter came out last week with the magazine probably going to print a couple of weeks before then, so I'm going to assume this chapter was worked on a couple of months ago. Toyotarou, himself, confirmed it on Twitter. This was his original storyboard...

JAAoGbD.jpeg

And these are the changes Toriyama made...

bYiiFdb.jpeg

Toriyama was absolutely correct in his choice here. Having the chapter end with five panels of the characters' backs is off putting. Having Piccolo turn back before the camera then also turns back to end on the faces of Piccolo and Pan's teacher flows way better.

Toriyama has always done a great job with framing and the flow of action from panel to panel and this is a perfect example of it.

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

Dragon Ball Super is a monthly series and this chapter came out last week with the magazine probably going to print a couple of weeks before then, so I'm going to assume this chapter was worked on a couple of months ago. Toyotarou, himself, confirmed it on Twitter. This was his original storyboard...

JAAoGbD.jpeg

And these are the changes Toriyama made...

bYiiFdb.jpeg

Toriyama was absolutely correct in his choice here. Having the chapter end with five panels of the characters' backs is off putting. Having Piccolo turn back before the camera then also turns back to end on the faces of Piccolo and Pan's teacher flows way better.

Toriyama has always done a great job with framing and the flow of action from panel to panel and this is a perfect example of it.

Wasn't baby Pan there when Beerus first showed up at Bulma's party? Or do you mean that it's the first time Goku's meeting Pan when she's old enough to talk?

36 minutes ago, Jason said:

Wasn't baby Pan there when Beerus first showed up at Bulma's party? Or do you mean that it's the first time Goku's meeting Pan when she's old enough to talk?

No, she wasn't born yet. During that fight with Beerus they needed to perform the God ritual, but they were one Saiyan short until Videl announced that she was pregnant with Pan.

Fast forward to now and Goku barely remembers any of that.

fo7bkTi.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

No, she wasn't born yet. During that fight with Beerus they needed to perform the God ritual, but they were one Saiyan short until Videl announced that she was pregnant with Pan.

Fast forward to now and Goku barely remembers any of that.

fo7bkTi.jpeg

I could have sworn I've seen Goku in a shot with baby Pan...maybe I'm thinking of the Dragon Ball Super anime end credits or something? What I'm remembering is baby Pan flying around, Goku and Vegeta bumping each others' heads trying to catch her, and then Vegeta getting pissed off and giving Goku a thumb signal that it's time to go fight.

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

I could have sworn I've seen Goku in a shot with baby Pan...maybe I'm thinking of the Dragon Ball Super anime end credits or something? What I'm remembering is baby Pan flying around, Goku and Vegeta bumping each others' heads trying to catch her, and then Vegeta getting pissed off and giving Goku a thumb signal that it's time to go fight.

You might be thinking about Bulla, Vegeta's daughter, who was a baby in the DBS Broly movie. I don't remember if Goku met Bulla, but her debut was definitely there. That much I remember because until then Bulla was always older than Pan thanks to DBGT, but DBS swapped them around and made Pan the older of the two girls.

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

You might be thinking about Bulla, Vegeta's daughter, who was a baby in the DBS Broly movie. I don't remember if Goku met Bulla, but her debut was definitely there. That much I remember because until then Bulla was always older than Pan thanks to DBGT, but DBS swapped them around and made Pan the older of the two girls.

Ah yeah I'm probably thinking of Bulla, thanks.