Do you have difficulty playing old games and picking up right where you left off?

Biggie

For example I was playing Pokémon Shining Pearl tonight and moving along nicely because it hadn’t been too long since I last played it. But then I wanted to try and play Legends Arceus and shit I was totally lost. From what to do, to where to go, to using any of the controls. Guess I’ll just start a new character. Is this common with any of y’all or am I just getting old af. 

37 minutes ago, Biggie said:

For example I was playing Pokémon Shining Pearl tonight and moving along nicely because it hadn’t been too long since I last played it. But then I wanted to try and play Legends Arceus and shit I was totally lost. From what to do, to where to go, to using any of the controls. Guess I’ll just start a new character. Is this common with any of y’all or am I just getting old af. 

Depends on the game but for the most part, yes. Sometimes it's easier for me to just start over... I've been trying to beat The Saboteur for YEARS now... it's the only reason I still have a 360 hooked up.

It depends on the game and also how much I was paying attention at the time, but I’m pretty good with it. I often start games and play through the initial setup until things start opening up to get a feel for them and then may or may not return. Usually I remember enough of the beginning that I can just jump right back in without doing that part again.

Sometimes I’ll get further in a game, maybe half way or so and then pick it back up. I’ll usually read a synoposis up to where I left off to jog my memory a bit. Not often but sometimes I can’t remember for the life of me what happened in a game and honestly when that happens I sort of just don’t feel like returning. 

I don’t really like starting games over but I will if it’s something I’m pretty damn sure I’ll really love, but usually that is because of wanting to switch platforms, not because I forgot what happened.

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

Depends on the game but for the most part, yes. Sometimes it's easier for me to just start over... I've been trying to beat The Saboteur for YEARS now... it's the only reason I still have a 360 hooked up.

Freakin love that game!

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

Yeah. honestly that's one of the reasons why, if I ever drop a game, the odds of me ever picking it back up again are close to zero. Especially if I have made it significantly far in the game.

Same. It used to happen quite often with RPGs. I'd stop playing for awhile and then come back, totally lost. Instead of restarting, I'd just stop playing it.

It depends on the game and what aspect of the game is hard to remember.

A story based game that has no recap of what you did might be hard to return to.

Likewise a game with in depth mechanics might also be hard to return to.

I mentioned Heaven's Vault a bit ago and this is one that is hard to return to IMO because you have to learn the symbology for the words plus remember the overarching story. I haven't played it since 2019 so I think I'm a bit screwed in this respect.

However, I do poke my head back into Elden Ring every so often and I feel like while there is a lot to remember you can get your bearings fairly easily so I don't feel the need to restart that one.

Not too soon after the GTA6 trailer hit, I fired back up GTA5 and dammit I still don't know what button to hit to stay behind a wall!!! (To be fair, I feel as though I struggled with this back in 2013/2014 as well when I first played it.)

• 2 weeks later...

Normally yea, I find that I forget all the little details. However I recently finally broke my destiny fomo addiction back before Diablo 4 released and in that time I went back and jumped back into Elden Ring for the plat. 

But the real big one was just a bout 2 days ago i fully platted out bloodborne and old hunters, I hadn't played Bloodborne in 9 years.

• Shocked 2
  • Hugs 1

Normally yes if the game is very story focused or very mechanically unique and not all that intuitive without a tutorial. The biggest culprit is JRPGs as they can often be all of that. So not only do I need the motivation to play it again, but I often feel the need to completely restart. 

I’ve always been bad with names, I’m real life and in games. So a very story driven game in a completely original made up world will have me lost on who the fuck anyone is talking about. Like imagine starting Game of Thrones halfway into season 4, and that’s how lost I feel. I can’t tell the names of the good guys from the bad guys. I may not even remember specific events. 

It can also happen if I put the game down while playing a very challenging part of the game or on the highest difficulty setting. Not having the same muscle memory or timing and finesse I may have had before putting the game down. 

7 hours ago, The Dude said:

Normally yea, I find that I forget all the little details. However I recently finally broke my destiny fomo addiction back before Diablo 4 released and in that time I went back and jumped back into Elden Ring for the plat. 

But the real big one was just a bout 2 days ago i fully platted out bloodborne and old hunters, I hadn't played Bloodborne in 9 years.

Where the hell have you been!?

17 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Oh just living life man, working on new house and all that life stuff lol I got back to throwing a few posts on gaf and figured I'd see what's cookin here. Enjoying some good games lately for sure. 

• Halal 2

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Oh just living life man, working on new house and all that life stuff lol I got back to throwing a few posts on gaf and figured I'd see what's cookin here. Enjoying some good games lately for sure. 

Good to hear. This place is relatively active even though we only have 35 or so users. You should post here more. The community is phenomenal and even though it's a 100% liberal forum where you will get utterly trashed even remarking anything on the rights agenda, it's a solid place to post.

If that's you, stay away from the politics and post about games, movies, and streaming services. 

The community cares for one an other and is extremely generous. 

Hell, I was gifted a freakin OLED Deck 2 months ago!

12 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Good to hear. This place is relatively active even though we only have 35 or so users. You should post here more. The community is phenomenal and even though it's a 100% liberal forum where you will get utterly trashed even remarking anything on the rights agenda, it's a solid place to post.

If that's you, stay away from the politics and post about games, movies, and streaming services. 

The community cares for one an other and is extremely generous. 

Hell, I was gifted a freakin OLED Deck 2 months ago!

I'll post a bit sure. Alot of good stuff out and coming down the pike. Finally playing FF 7 remake and it's top notch.  Overall tho I don't post anywhere, been away from gaf since 16 17, era is trash, just basically talk in my clan discord etc

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I'll post a bit sure. Alot of good stuff out and coming down the pike. Finally playing FF 7 remake and it's top notch. 

I was about 10 hours into FF7 Remake and got depressed with the environments. The actual game and combat are great, though. I'm looking forward to the release of part two later this month. 

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I was about 10 hours into FF7 Remake and got depressed with the environments. The actual game and combat are great, though. I'm looking forward to the release of part two later this month. 

Yea it's good combat, tryin to get it 100% before rebirth. Hoping the elden ring dlc rumors are true and we get some info on it, that's the one I'm super stoked for 

• Halal 1

7 hours ago, best3444 said:

Oh just living life man, working on new house and all that life stuff lol I got back to throwing a few posts on gaf and figured I'd see what's cookin here.

I was wondering where you’ve been as well. I’m still here, but I don’t post a lot since I’m still gaming on a PS4 so I’m behind the times compared to most everyone else here. I plan on getting a PS5 when the Pro comes out.

12 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I was wondering where you’ve been as well. I’m still here, but I don’t post a lot since I’m still gaming on a PS4 so I’m behind the times compared to most everyone else here. I plan on getting a PS5 when the Pro comes out.

Good to see ya Phase. And yea I don't really post much, I actually play more these days when before I used to post more. I was also just glued to destiny 2, probably 6k hours in it over the years so it really had a grip.

And nice man yea the ps5 pro will be a nice release, Def a great time to snag one I'm sure. 

What have you been playing? 

Wow! Came back to post and there isn’t even a Game Giveaway going on!!!!

(not a knock on you it’s just that some members seem to only show up and post when there is a Game Giveaway)

Welcome Home GIF

6 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Wow! Came back to post and there isn’t even a Game Giveaway going on!!!!

(not a knock on you it’s just that some members seem to only show up and post when there is a Game Giveaway)

Welcome Home GIF

Ha yea, I'm so disconnected I wouldn't even know if there was a game giveaway. Just passin thru a bit. 👍

• Hugs 1

Depends on which part I'm picking up.

From least difficulty picking up to most, for me it's: Story -> Current Objective -> Gameplay mechanics

So, never have any trouble remembering the overall story, maybe I'll have forgotten some minor details. Current objective will depend on the game, obviously no problem if it's plastered on the screen, less so if it's a less structured game. And gameplay mechanics is where I'll be most likely to need to spend several minutes refreshing myself.

Only one time ever have I dropped a game and picked it back up where I left off. It was only a month and it felt wrong, but I knew that was the only way I would finally beat XBC. I usually drop games for so long that I have to restart.

On 2/2/2024 at 4:30 PM, The Dude said:

I don't really post much, I actually play more these days when before I used to post more. I was also just glued to destiny 2, probably 6k hours in it over the years so it really had a grip.

I don’t play multiplayer or online games, only single player games.

On 2/2/2024 at 4:30 PM, The Dude said:

What have you been playing? 

I’ve been playing all sorts of games from big releases to indies whichever I’m in the mood for at the time. I played a lot of indies last year, but I plan on playing some bigger games this year like God of War: Ragnarok, Horizon Forbidden West and Hogwarts Legacy.

On 2/2/2024 at 8:02 AM, The Dude said:

Welcome back bro :mhug:

On 2/2/2024 at 3:53 PM, best3444 said:

God I hate him but that's a good gif.

Not a fan of players who like to kick other players in the balls or step on folks?