Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F | Coming July 3, 2024 to NETFLIX

• 5 months later...
  • Keyser_Soze changed the title to Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F | Coming July 3, 2024 to NETFLIX
On 12/14/2023 at 6:45 PM, 5timechamp said:

a jacket and bringing back cameos of friends from the series is not enough.. almost feels like a different character… guess Coming to America 2 didnt dissuade him from this.. Looking forward to Golden Child 2

I want the knife........................again!

• Haha 1

I don't have a lot of hope this will be good after how Coming 2 America turned out. This is a first time director too. I mean, Eddie Murphy's last two good movies were, what? Back in 2016, eight years ago, with Mr. Church and Dolemite is My Name? And before that, when? Dreamgirls in 2006? Before that it was Life and Bowfinger in 1999. I don't even think Eddie Murphy made a good movie between Coming to America in 1988 and those two movies in 1999. So we'll see. The only thing that gives me hope is that the screenwriting duo who did The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent wrote this (re-writing another person's screenplay) and that was pretty good so there's a chance. 

35 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I don't have a lot of hope this will be good after how Coming 2 America turned out. This is a first time director too. I mean, Eddie Murphy's last two good movies were, what? Back in 2016, eight years ago, with Mr. Church and Dolemite is My Name? And before that, when? Dreamgirls in 2006? Before that it was Life and Bowfinger in 1999. I don't even think Eddie Murphy made a good movie between Coming to America in 1988 and those two movies in 1999. So we'll see. The only thing that gives me hope is that the screenwriting duo who did The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent wrote this (re-writing another person's screenplay) and that was pretty good so there's a chance. 

I know you don't watch trailers but the newest trailer made it seem watchable.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Is that the bar we're aiming for, watchable? :p 

I never saw Coming 2 America or half the movies you listed (although I did see Bowfinger) but I mean the movie based off the trailer didn't look bad from what I remember. 🤷‍♀️

(I watched it yesterday :p )

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I never saw Coming 2 America or half the movies you listed (although I did see Bowfinger) but I mean the movie based off the trailer didn't look bad from what I remember. 🤷‍♀️

(I watched it yesterday :p )

Like I said, thanks to the screenwriters it could be good. Beverly Hills Cop 1 (and 2 to a lesser extent) are really good movies. Beverly Hills Cop III has already sullied the franchise, but still, watchable/didn't look bad is not the level we should be aiming for. Middling is a waste of making a Beverly Hills Cop movie. But if it's passable that's something I suppose. I just wish movies would aim higher and be better if this is going for "watchable" at best. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just watched the first two last night and they are still solid. The first one is better but the second is still a lot of fun especially since you like these characters already at that point. 

Unfortunately, that means I have to watch the third one tonight.

• Haha 1

I am the odd guy out on this one. I absolutely love the third one. It's probably my favorite out of the three.

While there are some movies I will admit are a guilty pleasure that I am probably only a fan of because I watched it when I was young, I have to say I am not really sure why the third Beverly Hills Cop gets so much hate. 

The entire ending fight is classic. From Axel trying to figure out how the hell the Annihilator works to....

:lol:

Anyway, Netflix's July lineup is great. It's the first time I have bothered to subscribe since Dec. '22. Already finished Prodigy season 2, Beverly Hills Cop tomorrow, and Cobra Kai about halfway through the month. Good stuff.

• Hype 1

Beverly Hills Cop 3 I hadn’t seen before and I thought it was a little better than it gets credit for too. It’s not bad and definitely serviceable and has some great parts like yeah I love the whole ending sequence. I definitely wouldn’t put it above part 1 or even part 2 though mainly because it’s missing Taggart.

I like Hector Elizondo but his character here doesn’t fill that missing piece at all. That clip is like the one time I cared about his character lol.

It’s also just how Eddie is trying too hard to play Axel as more mature now and less funny. He later said himself the edge was gone and I agree. I get why he wanted to do it but it’s not good for a BHC movie.

From comments he’s made since the third one also I do have a good feeling it could at least be as good as the second one. 

Oh it looks like reviews are out and with 59 in it’s sitting at 69% which is better than 46% for 2 and 11% for 3 on RT.

Also I read the original script was going to be with Tagart in it and then the three were going to be in Europe - I bet that would have been more fun (though I don’t hate the theme park theme)