Update on The Winds of Winter

WWW.FORBES.COM

I'm not sure we'll ever get any good news, let alone a satisfying conclusion to Martin's epic fantasy series. What a shame.

Last year, Martin said he’d finished 1,100 to 1,200 pages of the Winds and had a few hundred more to go.

We've learned recently that one whole year later, Martin has still only written about 1,100 pages of Winds and continues to struggle with the writing process, 

• Haha 2
  • Sicko Sherman 1

32 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

George, you don't have to finish the series - you really don't.

The world has moved on.

I would like to see his ending and how it would play out. Even if it ended the same as the show I doubt it would feel the same. But I don't care about the actual story. I just wanna know how it ends via Wikipedia.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

George, you don't have to finish the series - you really don't.

The world has moved on.

I think he's genuinely paralyzed with fear about how his ending will be looked at since I imagine where things end up (for some characters) is now "ruined" and was received poorly by audiences (whether this is true or not is irrelevant, I think he believes it). This is despite the fact the books are setting everything up enormously better than the TV show, which were all shortcuts and leaps, but this is where we are.

The shame of it is as a big fan of the books (yes, even books 4+5) long before the TV show (and was a big fan of the show until seasons 7+8), any book fan could tell you that the book universe is much bigger than the TV universe. The characters in play, numerous additional plotlines, etc. It has far more depth and is far more interesting (and mythological) than the TV show gets, which is very mild, even in House of the Dragon. So worrying about the show is stupid because the books are already so different but I do think he's got in his own head about it all. He has said as much from time to time in interviews.

Edit: The shame of it is I want to see the book versions of things. I want to see the Blackfyre stuff and the Iron Island Kraken stuff. I want to know what Roose Bolton even is and what his continued game plan is. Same with Littlefinger. Things are really building in the books, show barely scratches the surface.

2 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

The following book after this was supposed to be the last if it happens?

It's supposed to be (book 6 and then book 7) but he's floated from time to time that it might be 8 books. It could be he thinks book 7 will simply be too long otherwise so split it in two or he just wants to do more books. I hope he sticks to the original plan.

Edit: @legend, most likely is why he's floated talk about an 8th book here and there if I remember correctly. Whatever it takes to do the story justice but you gotta write them then. :p 

• True 1

58 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

While that's undoubtedly true, he is probably experiencing some degree of psychological "anguish" over the situation that no amount of financial prosperity could compensate for.

Yeah that's self-inflcted. Martin decided to focus on other projects rather than finish these books because he had other stuff that he wanted to do. Go and look at all of the other stuff he's been involved with in the last ten years. Frankly, I think it's more likely that he's OVER The Song of Fire and Ice books and wants to be done with them but his ego won't let him finish. He KNOWS the ending to the story, it's not like he has to think any of this stuff up. The broad strokes of the plot have been there for years. He'd much rather leave the story unfinished than give the fans what they want. Other authors have even offered to step in and help him finish and he just refuses.

• True 1

2 hours ago, Brian said:

Use those millions to hire Sanderson to finish the books. He will get wrapped up by 2025.

Sanderson has already poured cold water on that notion as the thematic tone and content of the series clashes with his personal religious principles:

….the point is moot, as I wouldn’t say yes to finishing ASOIAF, if asked. (And I don’t think they’d ask me.) I’d respectfully decline. I wouldn’t be right for the job for many reasons. I wouldn’t want to put in the content that the series has, and part of that is due to my religious faith, part of it is just who I am. I don’t shy away from difficult material, but I prefer not to get explicit.

4 hours ago, Brian said:

Use those millions to hire Sanderson to finish the books. He will get wrapped up by 2025.

The series doesn't shit on homosexuality and Sanderson doesn't vibe with that so... he'll stick to finishing titty obsessed stories where dudes have multiple wives which is much more his speed.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah that's self-inflcted. Martin decided to focus on other projects rather than finish these books because he had other stuff that he wanted to do. Go and look at all of the other stuff he's been involved with in the last ten years. Frankly, I think it's more likely that he's OVER The Song of Fire and Ice books and wants to be done with them but his ego won't let him finish. He KNOWS the ending to the story, it's not like he has to think any of this stuff up. The broad strokes of the plot have been there for years. He'd much rather leave the story unfinished than give the fans what they want. Other authors have even offered to step in and help him finish and he just refuses.

It also might be that GoT ending was HIS ending and well we saw what happened there.

• Halal 1

30 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

It also might be that GoT ending was HIS ending and well we saw what happened there.

I don’t think the problem with the ending was where it ended, but rather how abbreviated the journey was to get there. D and D (don’t care enough to recall their actual names) wanted it over and so just used a giant ellipsis for the final season. What should have been multiple seasons was wrapped up in one short wretched one. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, Air_Delivery said:

I believe it was or very close to it. I think D&D just took shortcuts to get there but ultimately I think this was pretty much how he planned on ending it except for the fact that I believe 

Spoiler

Tyrion is also a Targaryan Bastard... i think the Mad King raped his mother at one point and that's why Tyrion has one purple eye in the books and why Tywin says "your no son of mine" repeatedly as he dies.

9 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Game of Thrones got pretty bad after they ran out of books to adapt. Best example of a show that was so good for so long, then turned to poop. 

I think it was still great for one more season after the books, but they were probably still leaning on stuff Martin already knew for that.

"The Door" episode is one of my favorite "twists" in tv/movies because it wasn't a twist for a twist sake. It actually explained things and brought a new perspective on a long standing character.

• Halal 1