Update on The Winds of Winter

11 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

I don’t think the problem with the ending was where it ended, but rather how abbreviated the journey was to get there. D and D (don’t care enough to recall their actual names) wanted it over and so just used a giant ellipsis for the final season. What should have been multiple seasons was wrapped up in one short wretched one. 

That's a completely accurate assessment of the myriad of issues that plagued the final season.

Taken in and of themselves, nothing was inherently "wrong" with how the individual narrative arcs concluded, but the ludicrously truncated plot development (or lack thereof) leading up to those conclusions led to situations where character motivations/personality traits made utterly bewildering 180 degree reversals seemingly out of nowhere.

It's been more than 12 years since the last book came out (an even bigger gap than any of the books in The Dark Tower)-- it doesn't matter any more.  While I think he could do a credible job of wrapping it up, and having the ending make sense.  I don't think that I care enough to pick up the book if it ever does come out.

15 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Sanderson also sucks. No thank you.

Nah. He's an incredible world builder and makes some awesome, deep characters. He writes for writing's sake and is good to his fans. His prose can be kind of bland but that's the biggest knock you can make against him. But agreed 'No thank you' to him doing ASOIAF as stylistically that would not be the right call at all.

15 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Well damn, I’ve actually been interested in some fantasy and I always thought he was one of the biggest and best. 

He is. But he's not somebody I'd start with if you're not already into fantasy.

2 hours ago, legend said:

I think it was still great for one more season after the books, but they were probably still leaning on stuff Martin already knew for that.

Agreed - season 5 is still pretty good, it's mostly book stuff but stripping book stuff from books 4/5 that widen or build out the world - it was clear after season 5 that the show had no intention of continuing to adapt the books as it looked to be "too much" for the show to handle. Season 6 is almost all off book but really well done TV - especially the last two episodes. I was pretty hopeful that since season 6 worked out, seasons 7+8 would too but boy was I wrong.

• Like 1

I just cracked up at how many people were SHOCKED at Dany’s turn at the end, I thought that was pretty well telegraphed throughout the show.

But in regards to the books, I read them, and I feel like in his attempt to expand the world, there were way too many character introduced in the last book, to the point where I thought “George, you wrote yourself into this corner”.

Spoiler

Like the whole Lady Stoneheart thing, come on. Where would that even go in the grand scheme of things?

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, legend said:

I think it was still great for one more season after the books, but they were probably still leaning on stuff Martin already knew for that.

For me the show is pretty damned good up until the last two episodes. The Battle of Winterfell is one of the most epic and best shot episodes of ANYTHING I've ever seen. The fact that they did that on a TV budget and schedule is pretty damned amazing to me. The sacking of King's Landing is pretty good as well in spite of Dany's heel turn but I really think if they had another couple of episodes, her and Jon's love affair and their conflict would have had more of an impact. The show isn't "ruined" for me at all by the finale and is still one of the best shows ever made, but that rushed ending does sour things a bit. D&D really should have done another couple of seasons or passed the show over to someone else, but I totally understand why they were ready to be done with it. This show was a MASSIVE undertaking from season to season given how many different locations they were shooting on. Honestly I feel more for them than I do GRRM. These guys missed significant chunks of spending time with their families in order to make this show. 

5 hours ago, legend said:

"The Door" episode is one of my favorite "twists" in tv/movies because it wasn't a twist for a twist sake. It actually explained things and brought a new perspective on a long standing character.

There was a lot I liked in season 6, I'll grant that. The Door and Battle of the Bastards were great episodes.

Seasons 7 and 8 were a mess. Some really great character moments for sure, but the pacing and storytelling were a mess.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

d&ds main sin was letting their desire to move on from thrones harm the show by not stepping away and letting somebody else finish

hbo could have got damn near anybody they wanted to come in and see the show up with another few seasons and they would have been glad to do so i imagine

which humorously the situation makes d&d a hell of a lot like grrm himself

4 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Nah. He's an incredible world builder and makes some awesome, deep characters. He writes for writing's sake and is good to his fans. His prose can be kind of bland but that's the biggest knock you can make against him. But agreed 'No thank you' to him doing ASOIAF as stylistically that would not be the right call at all.

He is. But he's not somebody I'd start with if you're not already into fantasy.

Yeah, other than Harry Potter and the thee GoT books, I haven't read much fantasy. I read Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros and I'm about to read the sequel. Also have The Priory of the Orange Tree my Samantha Shannon on my shelf.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

For me the show is pretty damned good up until the last two episodes. The Battle of Winterfell is one of the most epic and best shot episodes of ANYTHING I've ever seen. The fact that they did that on a TV budget and schedule is pretty damned amazing to me. The sacking of King's Landing is pretty good as well in spite of Dany's heel turn but I really think if they had another couple of episodes, her and Jon's love affair and their conflict would have had more of an impact. The show isn't "ruined" for me at all by the finale and is still one of the best shows ever made, but that rushed ending does sour things a bit. D&D really should have done another couple of seasons or passed the show over to someone else, but I totally understand why they were ready to be done with it. This show was a MASSIVE undertaking from season to season given how many different locations they were shooting on. Honestly I feel more for them than I do GRRM. These guys missed significant chunks of spending time with their families in order to make this show. 

There were some good moments but I recall having one too many wtfs at the shortcuts they took. It’s too bad because it could have been a gold standard series if they took a breath. 

But yeah it didn’t ruin the rest of the series for me. It’s not like it was mass effect 3 bad :p

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yeah, other than Harry Potter and the thee GoT books, I haven't read much fantasy. I read Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros and I'm about to read the sequel. Also have The Priory of the Orange Tree my Samantha Shannon on my shelf.

I’m reading through Priory right now. I’m enjoying it quite a bit so far. About halfway through. 

WWW.IGN.COM

A Song of Ice and Fire author George R.R. Martin has shared a first look at the incoming official Game of Thrones cookbook, including a recipe for Highgarden Dumplings.

I don’t care about how Tyrion makes a pecan pie. Used to be very curious how he gets back to Westeros if at all. Now only a little curious. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:
WWW.IGN.COM

A Song of Ice and Fire author George R.R. Martin has shared a first look at the incoming official Game of Thrones cookbook, including a recipe for Highgarden Dumplings.

I don’t care about how Tyrion makes a pecan pie. Used to be very curious how he gets back to Westeros if at all. Now only a little curious. 

This makes me irrationally angry. :lol: :p It always annoyed me in the books how much ink he spent describing food rather than moving the plot forward, and now he's taking it to the next level. :silly:

• True 1