Senator Menendez indicted AGAIN in New York, update (03/05): guess who caught yet another indictment?

The full indictment:

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenttools/robert-menendez-indictment-document/e9ff4e956cb8dfc9/full.pdf

One of the charges:

In or about early 2018, NADINE MENENDEZ, a/k/a Nadine Arslanian, the defendant, informed WAEL HANA, a/k/a Will Hana, the defendant, that she was dating ROBERT MENENDEZ, the defendant. In the following months and years, HANA and NADINE MENENDEZ worked to introduce Egyptian intelligence and military officials to MENENDEZ for the purpose of establishing and solidifying a corrupt agreement in which HANA, with assistance from FRED DAIBES and JOSE URIBE, the defendants, provided hundreds of thousands of dollars of bribes to MENENDEZ and NADINE MENENDEZ, in exchange for MENENDEZ's acts and breaches of duty to benefit the Government of Egypt, HANA, and others, including with respect to foreign military sales and foreign military financing.

WWW.NJ.COM

The N.J. senator was accused of taking lavish gifts, including gold bars, as bribes.

The breadth of the charges were stunning. The indictment alleged a wide-ranging series of corrupt and dark actions by the senior senator for New Jersey that not only represented hundreds of thousands of dollars in payoffs to him while helping his friends, but even more shockingly that he provided U.S. government information and took other steps to secretly aid the government of Egypt.

The indictment by the U.S. Attorney’s office in Manhattan said the senator promised to use his influence to disrupt an investigation by the New Jersey Attorney General’s office of Jose Uribe, a New Jersey businessman who was also indicted.

It alleged that Menendez also improperly pressured an individual at the U.S. Department of Agriculture for the purpose of protecting a business monopoly granted to a close friend, Wael Hana, whose New Jersey company had been authorized by the Egyptian government to verify that halal meat exported for sale to the country’s 90 million Muslims had been prepared according to Islamic law. That monopoly, charged prosecutors, were used in part to fund the bribes being paid to Menendez through his wife.

Additionally, the indictment charged that Menendez promised to “use his influence and power” to recommend that President Joe Biden nominate an individual as U.S. Attorney for the District of New Jersey “who Menendez believed could be influenced by Menendez with respect to the federal criminal prosecution of Fred Daibes.

Daibes, who was also named as a defendant in the indictment, pleaded guilty last year pleaded guilty to taking part in an insider loan scam at Mariner’s Bank, the financial institution that he founded and where he served as chairman of the board of directors. The Edgewater-based developer whose high-profile projects have transformed the Hudson River waterfront admitted concealing a $1.8 million bank loan made to him. He is awaiting sentencing.

I want to make fun of New Jersey for re-electing this guy, but then I'm forced to recall that my own city (but not my district!) re-elected Duncan Hunter. One of the many signs of our broken democracy is how people like this get re-elected.

I hope Democrats show how to properly deal with a crook in their party, call for his resignation, kick him off his committee assignments, and generally push him to the curb.

WWW.POLITICO.COM

Kim was the first Democrat from the New Jersey congressional delegation to say the senator should step down.

It is a vivid sign that the foundation of Menendez’s political power is disintegrating. The aura of fear around him that has deterred challengers and silenced critics in the past has already faded and may soon be gone.

The 41-year-old Kim is a third-term member of Congress with a background in national security. He has a relatively limited profile in New Jersey but has been a prolific fundraiser and has won several tough races in a battleground district.

He may not be the last member of the state’s House delegation to take on Menendez directly. New Jersey has a handful of potential successors in the wings, and state party leaders are still trying to figure out how to deal with explosive allegations while Menendez remains defiant.

Kim’s announcement quickly set off jockeying for his House seat. Democratic state Sen. Troy Singleton and his running mate Assemblymember Carol Murphy, both Democrats from Burlington County, said they are considering running for the 3rd District nomination.

WWW.CNBC.COM

Menendez said he would fight the bribery and corruption charges.

Sen. Bob Menendez of New Jersey suggested Monday that the cash seized by federal investigators from his home came from his personal savings account.

“I have withdrawn thousands of dollars in cash from my personal savings account, what I have kept for emergencies and because of the history of my family facing confiscation in Cuba,” Menendez said during a press conference on Monday.

“Now this may seem old-fashioned but these were monies drawn from my personal savings account based on the income that I have lawfully derived,” he added.

Menendez, who spoke for approximately 25 minutes in both English and Spanish, did not take any questions.

“Prosecutors get it wrong sometimes,” he said, reiterating that he did not plan on resigning.

“I recognize that this will be the biggest fight but as I have stated throughout this whole process, I firmly believe that all the facts are presented, not only will I be exonerated, but I still will be New Jersey’s senior senator.”

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

“Now this may seem old-fashioned but these were monies drawn from my personal savings account based on the income that I have lawfully derived,” he added.

This sounds so much like how I would have responded to getting caught with money I won gambling in high school lunch Magic The Gathering games.

Now this may seem esoteric but today I am flush with cash because I was simply unsure as to whether or not the price of creamsicles increased since yesterday’s lunch period purchase. These monies were brought from home after having legally procured them from my place of employment.

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, brucoe said:

Every time I see a picture of Menendez, I'm convinced it's just a picture of Santos when he got older.

Ahem...

THEHILL.COM

Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.) said Sen. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.) should not resign from his position amid the longtime senator’s recent indictment on federal charges, saying, “he’s innocent until proven…

• Haha 2

On 9/25/2023 at 9:14 AM, Kal-El814 said:

This sounds so much like how I would have responded to getting caught with money I won gambling in high school lunch Magic The Gathering games.

Now this may seem esoteric but today I am flush with cash because I was simply unsure as to whether or not the price of creamsicles increased since yesterday’s lunch period purchase. These monies were brought from home after having legally procured them from my place of employment.

Well, they do say that highschool never ends... :daydream:

5 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Well, they do say that highschool never ends... :daydream:

I stopped playing MTG back in high school after they cracked down on it because of the aforementioned gambling. I'm not sure how much money that saved me in the long run, but based on the collections some of my friends have it's... a lot.

• Hugs 1