Embracer has closed Volition Games (Saints Row, Red Faction, Freespace), laid off personnel from Gearbox Publishing

Commissar SFLUFAN

Oh man that suckkkkks. I’m sure Embracer or whoever they sell the IP to will end up making a new Saints some day but it’ll never be quite the same. 

And now we only have one developer who makes open world city games (watch dogs is also on hiatus) and they only release one every 15 years now.

35 minutes ago, stepee said:

Not until someone else makes open world city games with a focus on zany fun! I was hoping they would do a Saints Row super hero style again next ;(

No way, a cadre of like 12 people who really liked Saints Row 2 convinced them that somehow that's the fucking one we all wanted to play, not the dramatically more successful SR3.

• Sad 1
  • Halal 1

51 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I really liked that open world Red Faction game whose name I can't even remember. Guerilla I think?

Well, there was Red Faction I, then Red Faction II, then Red Faction: Guerilla and finally Red Faction: Armageddon. So either Guerilla or Armageddon most likely?

Either way, what a shame. I loved their original Descent I+II games when they were known as Parallax Software. I also really enjoyed their destructible FPS games Red Faction I and II on PS2 which I played multiplayer deathmatch a lot with friends. Once all they started making were Saints Row games I checked out though since I wasn't interested in that series. But a long-time third party developer going out of business sucks.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Embracer has closed Volition Games (Saints Row, Red Faction, Freespace), laid off personnel from Gearbox Publishing
On 8/31/2023 at 10:42 AM, Xbob42 said:

No way, a cadre of like 12 people who really liked Saints Row 2 convinced them that somehow that's the fucking one we all wanted to play, not the dramatically more successful SR3.

On 8/31/2023 at 11:25 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah I NEVER understood the love for Saints Row 2. It was good but SR3 was far better.

I like Saints Row 2 more than 3. :shrug:  Saints Row 4 is fun, but feels more like a side game than a main entry. Agents of Mayhem is pretty bad, and the latest Saints Row reboot is somewhat disappointing despite being kind of fun from a gameplay perspective. The story and characters are pretty meh IMO.

I don’t really feel sorry for Volition because they kind of shit on their fans during the development of the Saints Row reboot. As much as they claim to care about their fans, they didn’t really seem to at that time. And they released the game in a somewhat unfinished state full of bugs and glitches which hindered my overall enjoyment of it. After Saints Row: The Third they just weren’t the same top tier developer that they once were, and I have a feeling that any further releases from them wouldn’t have been that good.

• Halal 1

21 hours ago, stepee said:

Oh man that suckkkkks. I’m sure Embracer or whoever they sell the IP to will end up making a new Saints some day but it’ll never be quite the same. 

And now we only have one developer who makes open world city games (watch dogs is also on hiatus) and they only release one every 15 years now.

If Embracer can closer the studio wouldn’t that indicate Volition likely owns the IP? I guess Embracer could sell the IP too, if they’re plan is to sell off Volition piece by piece. 

4 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

If Embracer can closer the studio wouldn’t that indicate Volition likely owns the IP? I guess Embracer could sell the IP too, if they’re plan is to sell off Volition piece by piece. 

Embracer owns the (totally worthless) Saints Row IP and along with the (also totally worthless) Volition IPs for Red Faction and Freespace.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So do you think the Epic exclusive money for Saints Row wasn't enough? Maybe if they released on steam at the same time, even with the middling reviews it could have done better financially. 🤔

I'm willing to be that Embracer has yet to even to fully repay Epic (through royalties derived from the revenue generated by sales of the game on EGS) for whatever monetary advance they received for the timed EGS exclusivity.

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

What I would give to hold of an actual EGS exclusivity contact just to be able to see the terms and conditions involving the length of the exclusivity period and the repayment of the upfront cash for the exclusivity.

Don't you work for the government? You could make this possible!

• 4 months later...
43 minutes ago, Brian said:
WWW.GAMEDEVELOPER.COM

"It's been five months since the closure of Volition, but I'm grateful to post that a group of us have re-formed as Shapeshifter Games."

Most importantly, which isn't clear from the headline, is they didn't reform under Embracer, they reformed outside of Embracer with another publisher.