Super Mario Bros. Wonder | New Sidescrolling Mario Game - Nintendo reports 4.3 million units sold in two weeks (fastest-selling Mario game ever)

Keyser_Soze

This is the best 2D Mario I've played since Mario World and it's not even close.

Every single stage has had new and completely unique little gameplay concepts and bespoke wonder flower mechanics, the game is full of all the energy and creativity that I felt every single NSMB distinctly lacked. I got more joy out of world 1 of this game than all of the NSMB games combined.

The platforming is great, the mechanics are great, enabling online is somehow fucking great. It basically brings ghosts of other players into your stage, which at first I thought were like time trial ghosts or something, just old play data. But no, it's other people playing the stage with you in real-time. They can't interact with anything in your world, but they can share power-ups, they can revive you and vice versa. You can send little emotes to each other and it's been completely seamless. Once connected I've never seen anyone lag or teleport or had any weird internet hiccups. If you get within a few feet of them, you can even see their username and stuff.

You can leave little standees in a stage by crouching an pressing X, which basically serves as a combination "proof I was at this spot" and "if you touch this as a ghost, you'll revive," so they're for bragging and for helping. This concept alone has made some levels super fun because you can chain revive on more difficult levels and cheese things, which with a bunch of rando strangers is somehow incredibly entertaining, just a bunch of dumbasses dying over and over again but using standees and each other to keep from staying dead.

I even like the talking flowers. I didn't like them at all in the trailer, thought they were annoying. But they have plenty of little hidden gags if you find secret ones that often feel like very light developer commentary, which injects a little more life into the world and is a fun additional secret reward.

New power-ups are fun, overworld has plenty of secrets and hidden paths, references to Mario World abound, and just a huge amount of energy I feel like 2D Mario games have lacked for ages. They felt like safe, sedate corporate products. This feels a lot more weird and wild even if some of the bones are very similar.

It also feels like they learned a lot of good lessons from Mario Maker, in terms of creativity and what's possible within platformers. The game is absolutely bursting with unique one-off concepts and gimmicks and I've found every single one both fun and delightful. It's been like there's a surprise in every stage.

Me and the boys being complete dumbasses in an expert level we somehow found ourselves in.

• Shocked 1
  • Hype 3

10 minutes ago, stepee said:

It definitely seems like a literal 10/10

I'm on my second world and I see nothing that would contradict that. The only complaint I can even muster is "sometimes when exiting stages the FPS drops to 30 for a second" which isn't even a complaint so much as a little oddity.

I can't remember the last time I played a Mario game and was just laughing from the silly shit happening on screen.

• Hype 1

Did I mention there's no level timers? Level timers always sucked, you can play each stage as long as you like! Some certain things have timers or are timed of course, but in general you're free to just explore. No feeling like you have to rush because you were enjoying a level too much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hype 1

14 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Is the online friends only, or can you see random people in your game?

Both. You can invite friends or you can play with randos. If no randos are available you'll get actual ghost data of past players (which look different than normal live player ghosts) that can still revive you and stuff if you touch them as they play out the stage.

Or you can turn all that off! But I wouldn't in a million years, it makes it so much more fun.

• Hype 1

8 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Did I mention there's no level timers? Level timers always sucked, you can play each stage as long as you like! Some certain things have timers or are timed of course, but in general you're free to just explore. No feeling like you have to rush because you were enjoying a level too much.

Damn I really like that 

6 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I might have to use my voucher. I don’t know what I wanna do. Lol

Much bigger chance of having fun little moments spoiled in a game that came out yesterday than in one that came out almost three decades ago! I’d get this of the two IMO. Plus you can kick the can further down and figure out SMRPG later!

• Hype 1

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

John Linneman from Digital Foundry reviews Super Mario Bros. Wonder - is this the best 2D Mario game in a generation? G…

So what about the tech powering it? Well, firstly, from what the ever-reliable OatmealDome has deduced, Mario Wonder is derived from the ModuleSystem tools and technology powering Tears of the Kingdom and Splatoon 3. More insight would be required to understand how this is modified to fit each project, but there's little doubt that it works exceptionally well here.

Wonder may be a 2D game at heart, but it boasts a complex animation system and huge numbers of bespoke objects per scene. Unlike Tears of the Kingdom and Splatoon 3 though, Wonder delivers exceptionally good image quality - one of the best we've seen from Nintendo, due in part to the selected style. The game runs at 1080p native in docked mode and 720p in portable. It does use dynamic resolution scaling, which can drop to 864p (80 percent of 1080p) - but this is relatively uncommon and usually only applies to the 3D overworld map.

There are some nifty technical tricks here too, including shadows projected from dynamic objects, suitably-cartoony particle effects and some mind-bending stage transformations - all running at a near-flawless 60fps. I say near flawless because there were occasional hiccups when transitioning into a level, but this never seems to impede gameplay and the overall experience feels solid. I'd expect no less from a side-scrolling Mario game, but it's nice to confirm it.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Super Mario Bros. Wonder | New Sidescrolling Mario Game - "An incredible game that shows perfect mastery of Switch hardware" (Digital Foundry Technical Review)
35 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Like I said previously, better enjoy the living hell out of this one, because there ain't gonna be another like it for a very, very long time.

And at this point thank god cuz my wife is starting to raise eyebrows and frankly I’m exhausted :p

• Haha 2