Super Mario Bros. Wonder | New Sidescrolling Mario Game - Nintendo reports 4.3 million units sold in two weeks (fastest-selling Mario game ever)

Keyser_Soze

Game Information

Game Title: Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Platforms:

• Nintendo Switch (Oct 20, 2023)

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 91 average - 98% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

CGMagazine - Jordan Biordi - 10 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is a complete reinvention of everything that makes the franchise great, and the best 2D Mario game ever made.

Capsule Computers - Dustin Spencer - 10 / 10

Super Mario Wonder is a modern masterpiece for the Switch, with imaginative game design that is a joy to experience.

ComicBook.com - Marc Deschamps - 5 / 5

The game has set a new high bar for future Mario titles, offering an adventure that can stand with the very best games on Nintendo Switch. Nearly 40 years after the original Super Mario Bros., Nintendo has come along once again to prove that no one does the platforming genre better.

Daily Mirror - Scott McCrae - 5 / 5

Simply put, thanks to the inventive gameplay tweaks, and the absolutely gorgeous visuals and animation, Super Mario Bros. Wonder is the best 2D Mario since the SNES era, and a strong contender for the best one yet.

Easy Allies - Max Michael - 10 / 10

Video Review - Quote not available

Eurogamer - Christian Donlan - 5 / 5

An endless cascade of ideas in a game that takes Mario to some wonderfully strange places.

Eurogamer.pt - Vítor Alexandre - Portuguese - 5 / 5

Much could be written about the particularities of this badge or any idea affects on a level, but nothing like experimenting and discovering how Super Mario Bros. Wonder, starting from the oldest model in the series, is at the same time a wellspring of ideas, mechanics and challenges in constant rotation. It's simple and accessible but at the same time challenging and packed with secret areas, hard-to-get collectibles and arduous challenges that even the most well-versed in the series can feel like the game bites. And in all of this there is fun and the somewhat hallucinated feeling of yet another ingenious level. It's a game that flourishes above all in ideas and mechanics, proving that the 2D segment of the Super Mario series is capable of standing shoulder to shoulder with the 3D references of the series.

GGRecon - Dani Cross - 5 / 5

The more I played Super Mario Bros Wonder, the more I fell in love with its whimsicality and endless redefinition of what Mario can be. It’s a glorious reimagining of Nintendo’s most iconic franchise. It takes the ingenuity and innovation that made Mario’s 3D escapades some of gaming’s greatest achievements and finally introduces them into the side-scrolling world. Wonder is everything I wanted it to be, and might be the most inventive 2D platformer Nintendo has ever made.

Gameblog - KiKiToes - French - 10 / 10

At the moment, even though there are a lot of really good games, few manage to put a smile on your face as soon as you leave the main menu. Super Mario Bros. Wonder is one of those.

Gamepur - Zackerie Fairfax - 10 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is arguably the best 2D platformer from Nintendo. Its range in difficulty makes it a game everyone can enjoy, especially with invincible characters like Yoshi and Nabbit. The co-op makes for a hilarious and fun family game night. Completionists and challenge runners are also in for a treat, as Mario Wonder is bursting at the seams with content.

Wonder feels like the start of a new generation of Super Mario. We are on the precipice looking out at the exciting Mario games on the horizon, and if Mario Wonder is the first step, we are in for quite the journey.

Gamers Heroes - Casey Scheld - 100 / 100

Super Mario Bros. Wonder once again proves that Mario is the king of the platforming genre. Much like his previous adventures did before, the amount of creativity and polish on display sets a new industry standard.

GamesHub - Edmond Tran - 5 / 5

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is built on an abundance of whimsical surprises, and the delight that each new one brings will keep you smiling from beginning to end. It’s a significant, impeccably refined creative leap that resoundingly demonstrates that there is still a lot that can be done to a near 40-year-old idea, and one that continues to spark a fulfilling sense of newfound joy through play.

GamingBolt - Pramath - 10 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder lives up to its name and delivers one of the most joyous and inventive 2D titles the Mario series has ever had.

God is a Geek - Adam Cook - 10 / 10

Super Mario Bros Wonder is a masterclass in 2D platforming, refreshing a long running series in a tremendous way, with inventive new ways to play.

LevelUp - Pablo Vargas - Spanish - 10 / 10

Today, my cousin is gone. But thanks to that charisma, that constant innovation, that seal of quality, that parental control, that philosophy of continuous perfection, that magic of continuing to create games for the whole family, I can not only experience the same emotion that 'Super Mario' transmitted to me more than 30 years ago, but now, I can repeat the experience, with joy, nostalgia and pride with my daughter.

Metro GameCentral - David Jenkins - 10 / 10

A fantastic 2D platformer that immediately takes its place amongst the pantheon of Nintendo's very best titles, with such a constant stream of new and surreal ideas you want to stand up and applaud it by the end of it.

Nintendo News - nintendojam - 10 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is a whimsical masterpiece, and I can say with utmost certainty that it is one of the greatest platformers that Nintendo has ever made. As the first 2D Mario game of the post-movie era, it sets an incredible precedent for the future of the series with its fresh new gameplay mechanics, expertly-crafted level design, gorgeous visuals, and lively animations. If you’re anything like me, you’ll repeatedly tell yourself “just one more level” while a joyful smile remains plastered across your face, all the way up until the end-credits roll.

Press Start - James Mitchell - 10 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is just that. A wonder. It leverages tight and concise platforming with a robust set of power-ups and skills to offer a degree of flexibility to players like never before. While it's still slightly easier than I'd like, Super Mario Bros. Wonder is an incredibly engaging Mario game and one of the best platformers available on the Switch, if not ever.

Seasoned Gaming - Patrick Shields - 10 / 10

We finally have a game that can match Super Mario World as a masterclass in 2D platforming. Super Mario Wonder epitomizes infectious personality and masterful perfection, and it is a must-play wonder to behold.

Shacknews - Asif Khan - 10 / 10

At its core Super Mario Bros. Wonder is a fun and fantastic escape from reality that will leave players smiling for years to come.

VG247 - Alex Donaldson - 5 / 5

Within the understood parameters of what 2D Mario can be, this has to be the single best entry since Super Mario World - and is the perfect first game to launch a new era of Mario games with his new-found elevation to movie star status.

VGC - Andy Robinson - 5 / 5

Inventive and full of heart, with a tight design and striking presentation, Super Mario Bros. Wonder is undoubtedly the plumber’s most memorable 2D outing since the 1990s.

We Got This Covered - Shaan Joshi - 5 / 5

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is an absolute masterpiece, offering up some of the most inventive, charming, and creative platforming action the genre has ever seen. It might have taken three decades, but Super Mario World has finally been dethroned.

Atomix - Alberto Desfassiaux - Spanish - 96 / 100

Just as it happened in 2017 when the Switch was debuting on the market, Nintendo has the luxury of having the same year in which the new The Legend of Zelda and new Mario are released, not to mention achievements of the size of Fire Emblem Engage, Pikmin 4 or the remaster of Metroid Prime. The Kyoto-based company has made it clear that it understands the business much better than its competitors, showing off launches that are not only consistent, but of enormous quality. To close this 2023, Super Mario Bros. Wonder appears to reaffirm all of the above and at the same time, make it very clear who is still the king whenever we talk about video games. The achievements at a technical and design level are outstanding and we believe that they deserve recognition and even study for the rest of those who are dedicated to creating what we love so much.

COGconnected - James Paley - 95 / 100

To be honest, I didn’t expect much from Mario Wonder. The 2D games tend to play it relatively safe, preferring to lean on nostalgia and mass appeal. Somehow I’ve been shocked at almost every turn. The visuals are consistently fresh and exciting. The mechanics blow the whole formula wide open. New powers, new skills, and new challenges had me immediately hooked. The soundtrack is mostly bangers by weight, just a hot mess of excellent music. Sure, the story is forgettable. I couldn’t tell you the name of your constant companion. He’s some sort of bug with a crown? And the bones of the 2D gameplay are well-preserved standards from several generations back. But the total package is an absolute blast. If you’ve been looking for a hot new Mario game, your prayers are answered. Super Mario Bros. Wonder is the best the series has been for years.

Geeks & Com - Anthony Gravel - French - 9.5 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is another excellent Nintendo Switch title that shows the company is still able to come up with brilliant new ideas. I loved every single hours spent in this new 2D Mario world and I hope there's more content coming in the near futur. There's no reason to hesitate, this is one of the best games of the console.

Glitched Africa - Marco Cocomello - 9.5 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder takes simplicity and turns it into pure joy. It is Nintendo’s masterful level design at its finest. The game’s Wonder Seed system also delivers charming gameplay sections we have yet to see from the series to date. It is simply wonderful.

IGN Italy - Mattia Ravanelli - Italian - 9.5 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder paves a bold new road for the "classic" Mario experience. Never a 2D Mario has been so surprising and satisfying since Super Mario World.

NoobFeed - Jacob Cowsert - 95 / 100

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is a title that will end up being an essential part of the Nintendo Switch’s library, and for great reason. It is a game that will stand as a shining mark in the gaming industry of what is possible. Mario Wonder may not be an absolutely perfect game, but it gets as close as possible by remaining the fun and cozy game throughout its run time.

Stevivor - Ben Salter - 9.5 / 10

Super Mario Bros Wonder is a resounding success. It reboots a 2.5D reboot, with far more personality and the best balance and pacing in the modernised side-scrolling Super Mario Bros series.

WayTooManyGames - Oliver Shellding - 9.5 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is easily the best new 2D Mario in a very long time, and it’s really fighting for my number one or two spot. Recency bias has it going head to head with older titles, but that’s the great part: you don’t have to decide. Each game brings something to the table, and Wonder’s new everything – enemies, power ups, level design – keeps it brimming with potential all the way to the very end.

Wccftech - Nathan Birch - 9.5 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is the plumber’s best platformer this generation. We haven’t been able to say that of a 2D Mario for a long time, but this game measures up to the best and most beloved side-scrollers Nintendo has ever made, delivering joyously-creative level design and rock-solid platforming in a gorgeous wrapper.

WellPlayed - Ralph Panebianco - 9.5 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder provides an experience so brimming with personality, innovation, creativity and charm that it thrusts the 2D perspective back into the centre of the way we think about Mario games, and if Nintendo sticks with this formula and builds on it, 2D Mario games are never going to have to play second fiddle ever again.

ZdobywcyGier.eu - Paweł Bortkiewicz - Polish - 9.5 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is, for me, the best two-dimensional Mario game ever. Incredibly creative in all possible aspects of gameplay, and a ton of fun for a player of any age. There's something for everyone, whether it's fully casual gameplay or more challenging levels.

The Games Machine - Danilo Dellafrana - Italian - 9.4 / 10

Nintendo reinvents the two-dimensional platform game with the sheer power of imagination, looking to the past and using it as a basis to create something new. No one else has done it so brilliantly, but after all, everything is easy when you're the king.

Game Informer - Brian Shea - 9.3 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder surprises and delights from the moment you turn on the game. Though the gameplay feels familiar, Nintendo’s ability to iterate on the established formula in unique ways kept me on my toes throughout the journey all the way up to the memorable final battle. After all this time, I thought I had a grasp on the breadth of the tricks the 2D Mario series had up its sleeve, but that Super Mario Bros. Wonder so consistently surprised me speaks to just how much gas is left in the iconic franchise’s tank.

Areajugones - Ramón Baylos - Spanish - 9.2 / 10

Nintendo goes out of its way to offer a succession of new ideas in an infinite chain of creativity to make Super Mario Bros. Wonder a point of no return for the series. Mainly, because anything the company does that even remotely resembles the games that came before it will feel flat, empty of emotion and uninspired. Super Mario Bros. Wonder is, in this sense, a new slap on the table by Nintendo; the translation of what Odyssey meant to what would be the sub-aspect of the franchise in two dimensions.

Everyeye.it - Cristina Bona - Italian - 9.2 / 10

Several times we found ourselves postponing the conclusion of a game session, eager to see what surprise the next level would have in store for us.

GamePro - Tobias Veltin - German - 92 / 100

A triumphant 2D hopping adventure full of ideas and surprises that no Nintendo Switch should miss.

Hobby Consolas - Alberto Lloret - Spanish - 92 / 100

Super Mario Bros. Wonder isn't just a breath of fresh air for 2D platformers, it's a masterclass in how to update a game concept that's been a hit for more than three decades, and do it successfully, without losing the essence. A surprising platformer where the unexpected is the real star.

Attack of the Fanboy - Marc Magrini - 4.5 / 5

Super Mario Bros. Wonder sets a new standard for the world of 2D Mario games. The new features provide more creativity than ever before, with the unique effects of Wonder Flowers introducing their own challenges while helping make up for the game's few shortcomings. If future titles continue to improve on the systems introduced in Wonder, the next 2D Mario game could fully surpass even the most beloved NES and SNES titles.

Checkpoint Gaming - Elliot Attard - 9 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is yet another magnificent showing from Nintendo. To take a concept that's so well understood but still find new ways to impress is no easy feat. Yet Mario Wonder excels in this field thanks to incredibly dynamic gameplay, headlined by the imaginative amazement of the Wonder Flower. It's hard not to fall in love with this new release, a game that's packed to the brim with charm and zest.

Daily Star - Tom Hutchison - 4.5 / 5

Overall, another fantastic Mario game and a real fun standout for the Switch console.

Destructoid - Timothy Monbleau - 9 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is the first Mario game in literal decades to live up to the plumber’s legendary 2D platforming legacy. It is a return to levels overflowing with creativity, a world rich with secrets to uncover, and controls that make the mere act of movement fun. Whether Wonder exceeds or meets the quality of Super Mario Bros. 3 or World is for the fans to debate. But that aside, I’m confident in saying that Mario’s latest adventure is one of the best side-scrollers you’ll find on the Switch. Long live 2D Mario!

Enternity.gr - Nikitas Kavouklis - Greek - 9 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is the game every Nintendo Switch owner should buy!

Entertainment Geekly - Luis Alvaro - 4.5 / 5

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is a tour de force in the realm of platforming, skillfully weaving together the iconic elements of Mushroom Kingdom lore with groundbreaking innovations.

GAMES.CH - Benjamin Braun - German - 90%

Super Mario Bros. Wonder might not be as brilliant as Super Mario Galaxy II or similar unique like Odyssey. But the new Mario adventure is a great 2D plattformer with multi-variant levels, perfect control, a huge bandwidth of creative ideas.

GRYOnline.pl - Mikołaj Łaszkiewicz - Polish - 9 / 10

If you haven’t had the opportunity to play platformers in some time, you simply have to give Super Mario Bros. Wonder a try. The game is a work of art that can persuade even those skeptical of the Mario franchise – it is so original that it is much, much more than just ”another Mario.”

GameSpot - Steve Watts - 9 / 10

This is the rightful successor to Super Mario World, and hopefully, will serve as a touchstone for 2D Mario going forward.

Gamer Guides - Chris Moyse - 9 / 10

With Super Mario Bros. Wonder, Nintendo has delivered a beautifully designed, charmingly realized, and thoroughly joyful jaunt through another fantastical universe. Sporting razor-sharp gameplay - positively bursting with character and personality - Wonder is a celebration of gaming in its purest form, while still boasting one of the most unique and evolutionary experiences in genre history.

GamesRadar+ - Sam Loveridge - 4.5 / 5

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is an excellent 2D Mario game with easily the most impressive world-building we've seen in this style. The trilogy of new power-ups are brilliant fun, and regularly humorous, with Nintendo's finishing touches adding extra personality at every turn.

Geek Culture - Jake Su - 9 / 10

Although 3D adventures like Super Mario Odyssey will continue to be the flagbearer for the franchise, an experience like Super Mario Bros. Wonder is nonetheless gratefully welcome. It is lively and colourful, the animations are pristine and a wonder to watch, and the innovation on display showcases the unwavering and astounding ability of Nintendo to think outside of the box. The 2D platformer still matters, and it has a new champion that players must not miss.

IGN - Ryan McCaffrey - 9 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder looks and plays like the true next step for 2D Mario platformers. Wonder effects change each stage in both surprising and delightful ways, the Flower Kingdom makes for a vibrant and refreshing change of pace, and Elephant Mario steals the show.

IGN Spain - Laura Rey - Spanish - 9 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder exceeds expectations. Get ready for endless fun playing a game that feels more Super Mario Bros. than ever, even while introducing important new features.

LevelUp - Pedro Pérez Cesari - Spanish - 9 / 10

We have spent more than a decade without a classic-style Mario Bros. that truly made us feel magic, that reminded us why the plumber is the king of platformers. Fortunately, the wait for these sensations is over and Super Mario Wonder arrives as one of the best games of the year and as one of the most magical installments of the entire franchise.

Nintendo Insider - Alex Seedhouse - 9 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder left me spellbound. Nintendo remains at the top of its game, and the Flower Kingdom is the perfect playground for its sprightly reinvention of what we have come to expect from setting out on a 2D side-scrolling adventure with Mario and his pals. This world of wonder comes crammed with the most whizz-popping surprises, making for a kaleidoscopic trip to the Flower Kingdom that is simply unmissable.

Nintendo Life - PJ O'Reilly - 9 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is, quite simply, the best 2D Mario game since Super Mario World. This is the slickest, sharpest, and smartest that two-dimensional Mario has felt since 1991 and in its Wonder Flowers, badges, and online aspects, it serves up an endlessly inventive and impressive platforming adventure that we've been utterly hooked on. With local co-op and online fun adding to the replayability factor and nigh-on perfect performance in both docked and handheld modes, this feels like 2D Mario with its mojo back, and one of the very best platformers we've played in quite some time.

PCMag - Will Greenwald - 4.5 / 5

Super Mario Bros. Wonder takes the 2D side-scroller in a fresh direction thanks to reality-bending Wonder Flowers that add fun gameplay-changing effects.

PPE.pl - Wojciech Gruszczyk - Polish - 9 / 10

Mario, in the form of an elephant, touches a flower to fall into a trance and go on crazy adventures in search of seeds? Developers from Nintendo came up with such attractions. Super Mario Bros. Wonder refreshes the basics, returns to the roots and provides great fun for several hours... although I would like this adventure to go on and on.

Screen Rant - Lara Jackson - 4.5 / 5

Super Mario Bros. Wonder could be Mario's most magical adventure, offering up an enchanting experience that shines among the best of the side-scrolling Mario games.

Siliconera - Jenni Lada - 9 / 10

Super Mario Bros Wonder certainly dares to be different with its aesthetically pleasing environments and unconventional Wonder Effects in stages.

Spaziogames - Valentino Cinefra - Italian - 9 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is a new classic: charismatic, eclectic, lysergic, funny, entertaining and... entertained.

The Game Crater - Jayden Hellyar - 9 / 10

Detailed visual and audio elements, exceptional accessibility, and the intriguing Wonder Flower concept make Super Mario Bros. Wonder one of the best in the series.

TheSixthAxis - Stefan L - 9 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder puts a fresh new spin on the classic Mario side-scroller with wild and trippy level transformations. It's still Mario at its core, but it's fun not knowing what to expect from each level. This could be the start of a bright new era for 2D Mario games.

TrustedReviews - Gemma Ryles - 4.5 / 5

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is a fantastic return to the Mario franchise, building upon all the features we know and love while adding a plethora of new abilities to keep things interesting. This is a must-have for Mario veterans and amateurs alike.

Twinfinite - Matthew Carmosino - 4.5 / 5

I simply loved playing Super Mario Bros. Wonder and don’t think another game this year has made me smile as much as this one. It’s a delightful platformer that continues Mario’s 2D legacy into the future with fresh design concepts and gimmicks you wouldn’t have seen a mile away. Now that Super Mario Bros. Wonder has proved that the 2D Mario format still has fresh new tricks up its sleeve, I’d love to see how they iterate on it in their next games.

Video Chums - A.J. Maciejewski - 8.7 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder certainly lives up to its name by offering a spectacle-filled and simply magical experience where you never know what sort of clever twist will pop-up next. Plus, it has a surprising level of challenge for anyone wanting to test their platforming skills.

XGN.nl - Marcus Talens - Dutch - 8.7 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder has its shortcomings. A traditional lives-system has no reason to exist in 2023 and the game's difficulty seems less balanced in optional content versus the main adventure. But the core of the game is a delight! The foundations of Mario are rock-solid as ever, while the new Wonder Flower and its many surprising effects keep the game from getting stale. Add perhaps the best co-op Mario has ever had, and you're left with a wonderful new entry in the Super Mario Bros. series.

But Why Tho? - Eddie De Santiago - 8.5 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder ultimately offers a delightful and innovative refinement of the genre.  If you’re looking to explore the stages and find every hidden secret, it may be best to go solo, but even with a friend or three, you’re going to have a good time.

ElderPlayers - Abdullah Alherz - Arabic - 8.5 / 10

Super Mario Bros Wonder has breathed A dose of innovation in 2D Mario games that makes the player soar into the wonders of the Flower Kingdom from time to time, in addition to new variety of enemies which is something that we have not seen in the series for a long time. But the dose of innovation was not enough to move this genre to a new level as we were looking forward to, as the experience lacked the diversity of bosses and the challenge in completing the stages, as it is it is nothing more than a two-dimensional Mario game polished on many levels with additions to the gameplay.

Forbes - Ollie Barder - 8.5 / 10

Overall though, Super Mario Wonder is an excellent 2D platformer. With excellent level design, polished visuals and mad Wonder Flower setpieces. It’s not my favorite Super Mario game in recent years, but it’s definitely worth checking out.

GamingTrend - Jack Zustiak - 85 / 100

Mario is known for surprising you with new ideas and strong game design. Super Mario Bros. Wonder contains both in spades. Although it executes on the element of surprise in a way I hesitate to call an outright innovation, it always supports the strengths of both the expected and unexpected.

Post Arcade (National Post) - Chad Sapieha - 8.5 / 10

The first Super Mario sidescroller since 2012's New Super Mario Bros. Wii U adds satisfying new gimmicks to a blast from the past. Read on.

The Jimquisition - James Stephanie Sterling - 8.5 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is like a rapid firework display of ideas that never stops dazzling, throwing curveball after curveball and never lingering on a single concept. There’s something to be said for gameplay that doesn’t outstay it’s welcome, but often is the case that Wonder’s twists and tricks barely make it through the threshold before they leave, never to return. I’m impressed by what Wonder does, amazed at its drug-like wackiness, and left with a longing for some of that stuff to stick around longer than it does.

Cerealkillerz - Julian Bieder - German - 8 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder evidently impresses with its creativity and innovation! The best jump 'n' run action paired with the colourful presentation of the flower kingdom including new enemy types and unpredictable spectacles of a wonder flower leave hardly anything to be desired! The implementation of a selectable badge before the levels rounds off the game experience; and the multiplayer has clearly been given some thought too. Only in terms of scope one can sense the short playing time and the small amount of power-ups that can be found.

Cubed3 - Az Elias - 8 / 10

It has taken Nintendo almost 30 years to get its flagship side-scrolling series back on top, but that is exactly what has been achieved with Super Mario Bros. Wonder. Not since the days of the SNES has 2D Mario felt this original and fun, with the bizarre hallucination-like gameplay elements contributing to both the joy and hilarity all at once, coupled with brilliant character animations and a multitude of ideas that makes every level unique. Stages could have stood to be longer, and it may have been a good opportunity to go a bit wilder with the story and villains, but those are small complaints for what is an absolute blast from beginning to end.

Dexerto - James Busby - 4 / 5

While Super Mario Bros. Wonder doesn't revolutionize Nintendo’s beloved series, the charming 2D platformer successfully pays homage to its roots, paving the way forward with unique twists that keep the gameplay feeling fresh. 

Mario Bros. Wonder may not take the crown from Super Mario Bros. 3 or Oddysey, but the latest outing encapsulates the very essence of what a 2D Mario game should be. It’s silly, whacky, and most importantly great fun.

The fact that Nintendo can still deliver a great 2D Mario game 42 years after the first title hit our screens back in 1981, really is a wonder in itself.

Digital Trends - Giovanni Colantonio - 4 / 5

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is both a return to form and a delightful transformation of the classic 2D series.

Guardian - Keza MacDonald - 4 / 5

There’s no story to discover, no complex rules to learn; just instant, appealing fun. It’s fun you’ll have already experienced if you’re a Mario fan, but with enough novelty and unexpected twists to prevent it from feeling over-familiar. And for those new to Mario – kids just ageing into video games, friends or family members tempted into a multiplayer session – this is a wonderful introduction to the fizzy creativity and attention to detail that has made Mario a family staple for nearly 30 years.

Niche Gamer - Fingal Belmont - 8 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is bursting at the seams with personality and details. Small touches like the facial expressions of enemies are gratuitous and don’t enhance the gameplay, but they enhance the experience. It’s because of these details that make Super Mario Bros. Wonder more meaningful and enjoyable than any of the last 2D Super Mario games since Yoshi’s Island on Super Nintendo Entertainment System.

SECTOR.sk - Matúš Štrba - Slovak - 8 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is a very good 2D platformer, full of little innovations, but it doesn't feel like a major revolution. It plays very similarly to Super Mario Bros. 2, and that's a game that's already 35 years old.

Slant Magazine - Aaron Riccio - 4 / 5

Thankfully, every inch of Wonder is bursting with personality, from Mario squeezing through a pipe after eating an Elephant Fruit to your being able to place cardboard cutouts to mark a path for others online and in co-op. That this short and relatively easy game never forces you to master (or even use) abilities like a grappling hook or gliding cap speaks to just how much it’s trying to do, but such minor flaws don’t come at the expense of joy. Wonder is a platforming playground for all ages that, at its best, redefines Mario’s world as one of unlimited potential.

The Outerhaven Productions - Todd Black - 4 / 5

Super Mario Bros Wonder is the big leap that 2D Mario platformers needed. The updated visuals, the Wonder Flower levels, the improved level designs, the variety of new monsters, all of it lends to a great experience that will leave you screaming, "WONDERFUL!!!"

TheGamer - Jade King - 4 / 5

The endgame hides a few new stages and some cool minigames, but you are more or less dropped onto the map and asked to scour the place for everything you missed. I’m excited about playing with friends and family to snoop out the remaining paths that alluded me, and it feels like a game of this ilk would really come alive as four friends are causing maximum chaos together. Alone, its whimsical spark is sadly only surface level, fading away much as the petals on a Wonder Flower wilt under Bowser’s influence. The magic is there, and very tangible in all the right places, Nintendo just needs to take a look at the foundations and reinvent them alongside this luscious new aesthetic. Do so, and we’d have a masterpiece.

Too Much Gaming - Joseph Choi - 4 / 5

I yearn for a meatier, more challenging Super Mario Bros. Wonder with difficult boss battles, but I can recognize that kids like my young nieces will fall head-over-heels in love with Wonder, because it truly is full of entrancing visual wonder and its simplicity is unlikely to cause household tensions between ambitious older siblings and confused younger ones.

Digital Spy - Jess Lee - 3.5 / 5

It is a game that tries to evoke a feeling of discovery at every possible turn, but in doing so loses the element of wonder fairly quickly.

Instead, Wonder's strongest moments are when it takes a breather, taking the time to set the scene while letting the platforming do the talking.

Kakuchopurei - Jonathan Leo - 60 / 100

Don't expect a huge leap in innovation and surprises, but a boatload of fun for both your friends and family. This Mario entry is basically comfort food that barely sates, but doesn't enthrall, inspire, or enervate.

Chicas Gamers - Álvaro Bustío - Spanish - Unscored

Nintendo has done it again, it has managed to innovate itself and bring us Super Mario Wonder, a Super Mario that can boast of being among the first in its series, even at the level of the legendary Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros 3. Super Mario Wonder is a title that every fan of Nintendo or the mustachioed plumber should have in their game library, an adventure that will not leave anyone indifferent and that overflows with originality, charm and, above all, a lot of fun, which we can enjoy alone, lightly accompanied. thanks to its online mode or in company with its local multiplayer mode for up to 4 players, with the most charismatic characters (and immortal for the little ones in the house or the inexperienced).

If you want to laugh, have fun and enjoy a game that never gets boring, this Super Mario Wonder is without a doubt for you, a game in which its creative team can be said to have reached its peak and to enjoy from start to finish for a long time. the 9 hours that its “casual speedrun” lasts or almost 19 hours if we want to do it at 100%.

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended

Super Mario Bros. Wonder delivers one of the best 2D Mario games in decades, providing an experience unquestionably tied to Nintendo’s identity.

GameXplain - Jake Steinberg, Andre Segers - Liked-a-lot

Video Review - Quote not available

Gaming Age - Stan Yeung - A or higher

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is definitely a timeless classic that will survive the test of time.

Polygon - Chris Plante - Polygon Recommends

Like the Switch itself, Wonder is a collision between the traditional and the new. A game that’s the same as it ever was and nothing like Mario has ever been.

Unboxholics - Γιώργος Πρίτσκας - Greek - Masterpiece

There's something pure about Mario's perfectly focused approach to simplicity and effortless fun. Wonder is a creation of pure design craftsmanship that has been honed over many years and is now in a constant dialogue with itself. He takes almost all the rules of the series and plays with them, subverts them, It bends them, reconstructs them, in an inexhaustible ocean of small ideas and mechanisms. His first playthrough is, in my opinion, at the highest peaks of the series and all that remains to be proven is the timelessness of his frantic gameplay. That is, if the paint of all these innovations frays with time and repetition. Either way, now is the time to enjoy the moment!

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Super Mario Bros. Wonder | New Sidescrolling Mario Game | October 20, 2023 - reviews from OpenCritic posted
4 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This phenomenal year just keeps on giving!

Everyone had better enjoy the living hell out of it, because I have a feeling we're not going to experience another like it for a very, very long time.

There's still Super Mario RPG remake and Avatar on the way too. :)

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This phenomenal year just keeps on giving!

Everyone had better enjoy the living hell out of it, because I have a feeling we're not going to experience another like it for a very, very long time.

Yeah, but we will still be going through the backlog from it for a few more years so that helps :P

This is definitely going to be GOTY with no contest, kinda feel bad for some of the other high profile games this year.

But for reals, it’s great when you play your favorite game ever in 1992, and they finally make a follow up to it three decades later. 

• Like 1
  • Hype 1

My inner childhood is screaming for me to get this hahaha. Every review I’ve seen and the few gameplay vids I’ve seen look extremely satisfying. But I think I’m gonna wait for Christmas. Be awesome to have something that brings back my gaming childhood under the tree!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, nublood said:

My inner childhood is screaming for me to get this hahaha. Every review I’ve seen and the few gameplay vids I’ve seen look extremely satisfying. But I think I’m gonna wait for Christmas. Be awesome to have something that brings back my gaming childhood under the tree!

That sounds like a good idea. I don't have will power like that but opening up games for Christmas is a beautiful thing. 

24 minutes ago, best3444 said:

That sounds like a good idea. I don't have will power like that but opening up games for Christmas is a beautiful thing. 

I do it every year. I’ll usually choose 2 or 3 games to hold onto until Christmas. It’s the little things man. I know it’s silly but whatever it’s just how I roll. I think this year I’m going with Spiderman, Lords of the Fallen and this.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Brick said:

The fact that a lot of reviewers have been saying this feels like a proper follow up to Super Mario World is getting me more hyped. I hope that's not hyperbole. 

After about 5 levels, I'd say it combines aspects of every Mario game since SMW.  You can play it fast. You can play it slow. You can play it risky. You can play it safe. Levels have layers and secrets to them. The variety and imagination remind me of playing Galaxy for the first time.

• Like 1
  • Hype 2

15 minutes ago, Biggie said:

November 17. Perfect holiday game. 🦃🎄

I just watched Nintendo's direct with footage. It looks beautiful and yes, a perfect holiday game. This year is hands down the greatest year in gaming history. I never seen anything like this. 

• True 1

Into the second world now, and the game continues to be fresh. It's like SMW and Odyssey had a baby - tight controls of classic 2D Mario games along with the variety in gameplay of modern 3D Mario games. If you thought there were only so few ways to jump around a 2D level, think again because the game finds new ways for you to do it.

• Shocked 2

4 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Into the second world now, and the game continues to be fresh. It's like SMW and Odyssey had a baby - tight controls of classic 2D Mario games along with the variety in gameplay of modern 3D Mario games. If you thought there were only so few ways to jump around a 2D level, think again because the game finds new ways for you to do it.

How did you get it early?