Super Mario Bros. Wonder | New Sidescrolling Mario Game - Nintendo reports 4.3 million units sold in two weeks (fastest-selling Mario game ever)

Keyser_Soze

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Never even heard about Mario RPG.  😕 

I really hope Nintendo launches the Switch 2 with a follow up to Mario Odyssey.  🙏 

If youve never played SMRPG I kinda envy you. One of the last and best RPGs Square made before they became Square Enix. Back when they made amazing RPGs

3 hours ago, eventide11 said:

One of the last and best RPGs Square made before they became Square Enix. Back when they made amazing RPGs

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars came out on SNES in March 1996. Square didn't merge with Enix until April 2003 so this isn't true at all. All sorts of games, from Vagrant Story to FF7-9 to Chrono Cross and many more released in the 7 years in between. Basically their whole PS1 and much of their PS2 era games were before they merged with Enix. :)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars came out on SNES in March 1996. Square didn't merge with Enix until April 2003 so this isn't true at all. All sorts of games, from Vagrant Story to FF7-9 to Chrono Cross and many more released in the 7 years in between. Basically their whole PS1 and much of their PS2 era games were before they merged with Enix. :)

You totally misunderstood my post. This one was one of the last great RPGs SQUARE made BEFORE they merged with Enix. But yes, you are exactly right otherwise. I miss when they were just Sqaure.

11 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

You totally misunderstood my post. This one was one of the last great RPGs SQAURE made BEFORE they merged with Enix. But yes, you are exactly right otherwise. I miss when they were just Sqaure.

Given what you caps locked for emphasis, I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm saying Square made a bunch more great RPG's for an additional 7 years before they merged with Enix. If you're saying nothing they made in those 7 years was "great", that's ridiculous.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Given what you caps locked for emphasis, I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm saying Square made a bunch more great RPG's for an additional 7 years before they merged with Enix. If you're saying nothing they made in those 7 years was "great", that's ridiculous.

Nope. Just saying that was one of the last since they only made a handful after that if I remember right. But the main point is they weren't as good after the merger

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

And we don't have the same opinion on what was great after SMRPG. FF7, FF8, Xenogears, FF9, FFX were all I cared about after SMRPG. But Vagrant Story gets an honorable mention.

12 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

Nope. Just saying that was one of the last since they only made a handful after that if I remember right. But the main point is they weren't as good after the merger

Debatable but I'll agree - but not what we're discussing exactly. 

2 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

And we don't have the same opinion on what was great after SMRPG. FF7, FF8, Xenogears, FF9, FFX were all I cared about after SMRPG. But Vagrant Story gets an honorable mention.

I don't understand - if those RPG's are all ones you care about, you're aware those were all made by Square in the 7 years after SMRPG released but before the merger right? SMRPG is certainly not the last "great" RPG Square made between 1996 and 2003. Your posts don't make a lot of sense.

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

Debatable but I'll agree - but not what we're discussing exactly. 

I don't understand - if those RPG's are all ones you care about, you're aware those were all made in the 7 years after SMRPG but before the merger right? SMRPG is certainly not the last "great" RPG Square made between 1996 and 2003. Your posts don't make a lot of sense.

Yes, those are AMONG THE LAST great RPGs Square made IMO. For me personally. Yes they made about Xtillion games after SMRPG but there was a bunch of shovelware that I didn't give 2 shites about

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

That still reads like you think Square Enix made FF7-9 when it was just Square. Also, like SMRPG isn't even close to one of the LAST great RPGs made by Square. SMRPG came out in the middle years of Square's existence.

Nope. Totally aware those were Square games. I mean, if Square had made 15-20 AAA RPGs after that I would digress and say I'm old and misremembered but nah, only a few that I cared about after the SNES. I think you and @Greatoneshere

are thinking I'm with the majority on what was good or great during those years and I'm not. I only liked a handful of RPGs during those times and SMRPG was one of em. Then a few more after that from Square piqued my interest and that was that. SE took them in a completely different direction and I lost interest little by little

• Thanks 1

Now I'm thinking back to my favorite RPGs during the PS1 and PS2 era and none of them are Square. Morrowind, KotOR, Grandia, Suikoden, Lunar, Star Ocean, Xenosaga, Paper Mario, MegaTen, Persona, whatever Tales game was around. FFX, I think, was the biggest Square timesink for me.

6 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

Nope. Totally aware those were Square games. I mean, if Square had made 15-20 AAA RPGs after that I would digress and say I'm old and misremembered but nah, only a few that I cared about after the SNES. I think you and @Greatoneshere

are thinking I'm with the majority on what was good or great during those years and I'm not. I only liked a handful of RPGs during those times and SMRPG was one of em. Then a few more after that from Square piqued my interest and that was that. SE took them in a completely different direction and I lost interest little by little

That is an incredibly hot take. SMRPG isn't even hard and doesn't even have that interesting of a story compared to a lot of other Square RPG's even. It's a good RPG but c'mon.

4 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Now I'm thinking back to my favorite RPGs during the PS1 and PS2 era and none of them are Square. Morrowind, KotOR, Grandia, Suikoden, Lunar, Star Ocean, Xenosaga, Paper Mario, MegaTen, Persona, whatever Tales game was around. FFX, I think, was the biggest Square timesink for me.

Favorite RPG's is fine, but to suggest Square's best work was behind them after SMRPG but before the Enix merger is ridiculous.

That is an incredibly hot take. SMRPG isn't even hard and doesn't even have that interesting of a story compared to a lot of other Square RPG's even. 

Favorite RPG's is fine, but to suggest Square's best work was behind them after SMRPG is ridiculous.

Sorry pal. That's how it was for me. Which was my point all along.

• Shocked 1

Favorite RPG's is fine, but to suggest Square's best work was behind them after SMRPG but before the merger is ridiculous.

That's a different story. Chrono Cross was overly-ambitious, but still great. I think my favorite post-Mario RPG, pre-SE game from Square is probably Legend of Mana. That game was brilliant. I do admit to liking FF6 better than any of the FF that came out afterward, but I was always more of a fan of Enix's JRPGs like Grandia, Star Ocean, and Dragon Quest over any of the FF games.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

Sorry pal. That's how it was for me. Which was my point all along.

OK, but your opinion isn't facts tho. Just because you have wrong opinions doesn't mean SMRPG was one of the last great Square RPGs. Like, you can't just say "It was this way but that's my opinion". I mean, you can but that is when you get called wrong. It's like you are saying, "Welp, the sky looks green in my opinion."

And "That's how it was for me" wasn't your point all along. Nothing in your original statements indicated subjectivity. Not that I expect everyone to lace their sentences with "IMO" and "for me personally", but I consider it a decently bold statement for a game I perceive as "mid". An "IMO" in your one post would have prevented at least some of the misunderstandings.

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

OK, but your opinion isn't facts tho. Just because you have wrong opinions doesn't mean SMRPG was one of the last great Square RPGs. Like, you can't just say "It was this way but that's my opinion". I mean, you can but that is when you get called wrong. It's like you are saying, "Welp, the sky looks green in my opinion."

And "That's how it was for me" wasn't your point all along. Nothing in your original statements indicated subjectivity. Not that I expect everyone to lace their sentences with "IMO" and "for me personally", but I consider it a decently bold statement for a game I perceive as "mid". An "IMO" in your one post would have prevented at least some of the misunderstandings.

Ok