Super Mario Bros. Wonder | New Sidescrolling Mario Game - Nintendo reports 4.3 million units sold in two weeks (fastest-selling Mario game ever)

Keyser_Soze

15 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

You know, thinking back, the most memorable level in Mario Odyssey was the New Donk City celebration with Pauline singing. So this level in Mario Wonder, the piranha parade, and a few others made me realize that I really like musical Mario.

I really hope we see more of this in the future.

That level in Odyssey was fucking fantastic.

On 10/24/2023 at 5:38 AM, Ghost_MH said:

Fuck this special level that you have to perform wall jumps over rising poison to the beat of the music. I keep dropping my wall jump on the very last jump.

Took me probably over 100 tries to beat this fucking level. If I wasn't fucking up one of the wall jumps, it was being a beat behind and getting like 85% of the way and then having the floor disappear or the block you needed to wall jump off as you're midair. If you botch ANY of the jumps, even if the lava poison hasn't caught up you need to just restart because you'll lose the floor/wall near the end. 

• Hugs 1

On 11/5/2023 at 6:01 PM, Jason said:

Took me probably over 100 tries to beat this fucking level. If I wasn't fucking up one of the wall jumps, it was being a beat behind and getting like 85% of the way and then having the floor disappear or the block you needed to wall jump off as you're midair. If you botch ANY of the jumps, even if the lava poison hasn't caught up you need to just restart because you'll lose the floor/wall near the end. 

I finally got 100% on this level today, fucking ridiculous level, I don’t want Nintendo doing too much of that again even though I beat it. 

I’m now 100% on every level besides the last one in special world which I just got to. Also only missing 4 standees so I’ll go for the full 100%.

6 minutes ago, johnny said:

for that wall jumping level i used the badge that lets you jump higher and that made it not too difficult imo. you don’t have to worry about coming up short on a jump at least. and the level is tight enough i don’t recall overshooting a jump. 

oy, didn’t even think to use that one!

I’ll have to see how I feel over the years, but this is definitely at least the second best Mario game (and thus, side scrolling platformer) after Mario World.

Even if I remove nostalgia, I don’t think a Mario game can beat World for me unless I can RIDE Yoshi. Also the elephant is amazing and some of the badges are a lot of fun, and there’s more mechanic variety here, but the cape is still my favorite power-up and I really would like to see it in one more game some day (besides mario maker).

But I mean, I’m comparing this to my all time favorite game. Definitely a true 10/10 and one of the better games made.

9 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’ll have to see how I feel over the years, but this is definitely at least the second best Mario game (and thus, side scrolling platformer) after Mario World.

Even if I remove nostalgia, I don’t think a Mario game can beat World for me unless I can RIDE Yoshi. Also the elephant is amazing and some of the badges are a lot of fun, and there’s more mechanic variety here, but the cape is still my favorite power-up and I really would like to see it in one more game some day (besides mario maker).

But I mean, I’m comparing this to my all time favorite game. Definitely a true 10/10 and one of the better games made.

I'll play early next year. Is it difficult? I'm not so good at 2-D side scrollers. 

12 hours ago, johnny said:

for that wall jumping level i used the badge that lets you jump higher and that made it not too difficult imo. you don’t have to worry about coming up short on a jump at least. and the level is tight enough i don’t recall overshooting a jump. 

How did that work with the final stretch of one-block walls though?

12 hours ago, stepee said:

oy, didn’t even think to use that one!

I tried using the vine one as my first workaround once I got it after multiple failed attempts at the stage, but what I think ultimately made the biggest difference was using the D-pad instead of the analog stick. One of the problems I was having initially was accidentally triggering butt-stomping with the analog stick.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

How did that work with the final stretch of one-block walls though?

I tried using the vine one as my first workaround once I got it after multiple failed attempts at the stage, but what I think ultimately made the biggest difference was using the D-pad instead of the analog stick. One of the problems I was having initially was accidentally triggering butt-stomping with the analog stick.

For me the biggest thing was just memorizing it so I know when those little blocks come up - I need to be prepared for those in advance or I just can’t hit it right in time. When I beat it, nothing seemed to help, so I was just using the coin magnet to try to get as many coins to buy my lives back lol

Alright. I'm more than half-way through the regular game. It's fun, but I do miss the comforting familiarity of the Mushroom Kingdom. I want to collect stars, not seeds. The few power-ups are fun. I like the badges, but it gives me anxiety trying to choose the best one for a level. Also, I am not good at rhythm games, so the few rhythm levels don't do it for me.

I am enjoying it, but the rumor of a Super Mario Bros. 3 remake has me even more excited. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Super Mario Bros. Wonder | New Sidescrolling Mario Game - Nintendo reports 4.3 million units sold in two weeks (fastest-selling Mario game ever)

This is pretty great... and so so so much better on a big TV than on the little screen. I have my own personal Switch Lite that is only for my use (because my kids destroy everything) and I had been playing it on that and it just kills my thumbs with the weird grip and bad ergonomics... figured out how to make my saves sync (easy, I just didn't have it on) across devices and now it's so much better playing on the main switch on an actual TV.

Just now, best3444 said:

@Biggie @stepee

You guys know my tastes. With some free time right now I'm going to buy a Nintendo game. 

Should I get Mario RPG or Mario Wonder?

I’ll buy you whichever regardless, but my suggestion would be Mario RPG as I think the story part will wrap you more into it..unless you played and remember the original. 

Holy shit @stepee! This makes me feel better I really appreciate this. 

I've been doing research and I never played Mario RPG. I actually enjoy turn based combat especially here since it will be basic. But Wonder looks to be a complete masterpiece. Hmm

Yes, I have Nintendo online....I think? I have the store but I honestly never checked online for the Switch.

• Hugs 1

Ok, I realize this question will earn me some quantity of masterbation jokes, but my Neighbor Joe has just asked if Mario Wonder can be played...one handed? Yes, neighbor Joe is a REAL person and no, I am not my neighbor Joe. Apprently his father has recently had surgery on one of his hands and is looking for games he can play one handed. @stepee @Biggie

26 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Ok, I realize this question will earn me some quantity of masterbation jokes, but my Neighbor Joe has just asked if Mario Wonder can be played...one handed? Yes, neighbor Joe is a REAL person and no, I am not my neighbor Joe. Apprently his father has recently had surgery on one of his hands and is looking for games he can play one handed. @stepee @Biggie

Nope. You’ll need one hand for movement and the other to dash/jump. The good news is he still has one hand to :fap:

• True 1

• 2 weeks later...

I find the badge system to be kind of weird. Seems like there are a few that are just so much better than the rest... while simultaneously... all of them feel pretty useless because every level has to be reasonably beatable without a player using them.

Overall this game gets two big thumbs up from me. I'm slowly working my way through it. I love the goofy "Wonder Flower" portions of levels and the overall level design feels fresh and unique and not repetitive. Controls feel tight and not floaty. Some of the previous years 2D Mario games had controls I just found weird.

My main issue with the game is that I find the overworld to be confusing and pointless. I feel like I'm always lost and confused and feel like I'm probably missing out on secret levels here and there. It's also goofy we're always earning all these seeds and purple coins and whatnot, but at no point in the entire game so far have I ever once reached a locked level on the map that I was not able to just instantly open and just go into. It makes all of the stuff we are collecting feel completely valueless. And, while overall I like this flower world or whatever, all of the levels feel kinda similar. Mario games do a good job of taking you from world to world and throwing a bunch of similarly themed levels at you... lava world, ice world, jungle world, desert world... etc... Mario Wonder all pretty much feels exactly the same to me.

Oh, and I love the talking flowers. If someone had told me that the new Mario game featured overly cheerful witty flowers that talk to you and crack little jokes I would have rolled my eyes and assumed they were just terrible... but no, they never fail to amuse me. They add a lot of character and flair and fun to the game.

The badge system makes me wish for my longtime dream of a side scrolling Metroidvania Mario game. How cool would it be to have a Mario game with a giant connected map and permanent unlockable power-ups... you know... a Metroidvania, but Mario.

I've wanted one for decades now and I'm surprised Nintendo has never tried to pull it off. Feels like a no brainer.

9 hours ago, ort said:

I find the badge system to be kind of weird. Seems like there are a few that are just so much better than the rest... while simultaneously... all of them feel pretty useless because every level has to be reasonably beatable without a player using them.

Overall this game gets two big thumbs up from me. I'm slowly working my way through it. I love the goofy "Wonder Flower" portions of levels and the overall level design feels fresh and unique and not repetitive. Controls feel tight and not floaty. Some of the previous years 2D Mario games had controls I just found weird.

My main issue with the game is that I find the overworld to be confusing and pointless. I feel like I'm always lost and confused and feel like I'm probably missing out on secret levels here and there. It's also goofy we're always earning all these seeds and purple coins and whatnot, but at no point in the entire game so far have I ever once reached a locked level on the map that I was not able to just instantly open and just go into. It makes all of the stuff we are collecting feel completely valueless. And, while overall I like this flower world or whatever, all of the levels feel kinda similar. Mario games do a good job of taking you from world to world and throwing a bunch of similarly themed levels at you... lava world, ice world, jungle world, desert world... etc... Mario Wonder all pretty much feels exactly the same to me.

Oh, and I love the talking flowers. If someone had told me that the new Mario game featured overly cheerful witty flowers that talk to you and crack little jokes I would have rolled my eyes and assumed they were just terrible... but no, they never fail to amuse me. They add a lot of character and flair and fun to the game.

I agree with this. The game is definitely a 2 thumbs up. It's Mario. It's fun. That being said, the only badge I've really used since I got it was the sensor badge and that was only to keep me from googling how to find the missing seeds and coins I missed. I feel the the 'grabbling hook' could be a super cool element and have a place in its own game, but I haven't used it, other than to get the badge. Imagine a Bionic Commando Mario. Bowser steals Mario's ability to jump, (maybe smashes his knee caps in a torture scene) and Mario needs his grabbling piranha plant to fight Bowser and Nazis!

But anywho, I also agree about unlocking levels with Wonder Seeds. The only area that I had to 'do work' to unlock a level was the magma area. There was one place that needed 25 seeds to open, but it was completely optional. Also, the desert and magma sections were the only ones that I missed secret exits/levels, by the time I finished. 

I also enjoyed the flowers and Wonder Seed segments. The overworld didn't do much for me, but like I may have said in an earlier post, I missed my Mushroom Kingdom.

Disclaimer: I haven't fiddled with any of the 'Secret World' yet, so maybe badges will play a bigger part in that.