Nintendo 64's GoldenEye 007 is coming to Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack and Game Pass on January 27th, now with online play!

Brian

40 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Looks mindblowing running at 60 instead of 12 fps

This looks more like the N64 version running without as much slowdown.  Maybe bumped to 30fps at parts?  Hard to say.

Check the European video when split screen multiplayer crops up.  It's definitely not a native port.

40 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Since Microsoft made it I don't think Nintendo's netcode will be a factor.

Its likely running on Nintendo's N64 emulator and the online they built for that.   The Xbox port won't have online play, so it wouldn't be Microsoft's doing.

I have limited nostalgia for this one. I never had an N64, so it was something I could only play at a friend’s house. And those early 3D console games are generally really rough to revisit in my experience. Might download it on Game Pass just to poke around, but I can’t imagine spending much time with it.

• Halal 1

So we have the regular Nintendo Online thing... but to play this I need to subscribe to some sort of additional thing, right? Boo.

I would play through this again. I loved Goldeneye back in the day (and still have my copy and N64), but I can't play a FPS with the N64 controller anymore. My brain has been rewired for dual analogue. 

EDIT: Wait, it's also on Xbox Game Pass, and I gots that. Yay.

25 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Lol. Does that matter at this point? I mean sure, in 1997 this game was pretty damn amazing. You compare it to today's standards it's just not a good videogame in any way. 

I dunno. Comparing it to today’s standards would be kind of a weird thing to do? Goldeneye has its own charm and appeal regardless of the time it’s played, and if they do add dual stick controls it actually is a pretty decent time with buddies. That perfect dark remake was a good little romp when it came out. 

8 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I have limited nostalgia for this one. I never had an N64, so it was something I could only play at a friend’s house. And those early 3D console games are generally really rough to revisit in my experience. Might download it on Game Pass just to poke around, but I can’t imagine spending much time with it.

Single player will feel dated, but the objective-based mission structure is still much more interesting than FPSs today generally.  Playing at 60fps on Games Pass would be a treat, hopefully that's the case.

8 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I don't either.  I played it at a cousin's place over Xmas -- and my memory was that I was underwhelmed and thought that Quake 2 online multiplayer was a lot better.

Yeah, Goldeneye's multiplayer isn't all that great compared to PC FPSs at the time, especially with how it ran.  But for bringing FPS multiplayer to the masses, on the couch, it was fantastic.

Goldeneye also had headshots and location based damage.  Team Fortress is the only other FPS that did it at the time, and only predated it by a few months.

49 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Comparing it to today’s standards would be kind of a weird thing to do? 

Huh? It's 26 years old and it's not a 2-D game like the NES/SNES/Genesis provided that have aged beautifully.

Goldeneye will look like shit today. I remember even back then I was critical with the hands being blocks lol.

The gameplay is not even remotely going to be fun if it's not duel analog. The game is extremely small, too. Meh big time.

• Guillotine 1

40 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Yeah, Goldeneye's multiplayer isn't all that great compared to PC FPSs at the time, especially with how it ran.  But for bringing FPS multiplayer to the masses, on the couch, it was fantastic.

Goldeneye also had headshots and location based damage.  Team Fortress is the only other FPS that did it at the time, and only predated it by a few months.

I expect a mediocre 1997-era FPS would make for a bad 2023-era experience.

36 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Huh? It's 26 years old and it's not a 2-D game like the NES/SNES/Genesis provided that have aged beautifully.

Goldeneye will look like shit today. I remember even back then I was critical with the hands being blocks lol.

The gameplay is not even remotely going to be fun if it's not duel analog. The game is extremely small, too. Meh big time.

What I’m saying is that purchasing this only to feign surprise that it is not up to modern standards is not something that any serious person is going to do. You know what you’re getting. 

27 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Lol. Does that matter at this point? I mean sure, in 1997 this game was pretty damn amazing. You compare it to today's standards it's just not a good videogame in any way. 

Technically, sure, but the game's design is still really solid. The levels are generally pretty open and allow for multiple ways to tackle them, and the mission objective structure is pretty novel and encourages exploration. And you get new objectives with each increasing level of difficulty. I'd say for a good decade or more after the 90s, FPS's were generally pretty dumbed down in favor of elaborate set pieces and funneling you through linear levels.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I expect a mediocre 1997-era FPS would make for a bad 2023-era experience.

36 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

Technically, sure, but the game's design is still really solid. The levels are generally pretty open and allow for multiple ways to tackle them, and the mission objective structure is pretty novel and encourages exploration. And you get new objectives with each increasing level of difficulty. I'd say for a good decade or more after the 90s, FPS's were generally pretty dumbed down in favor of elaborate set pieces and funneling you through linear levels.

Longer than that IMO.  I’d love more fps’s today to take cues.  Levels are so much more replayable when the difficulty changes more than just the AI and health.

I think the leaked 360 remaster looked like a great time, and plenty modern to be enjoyed today.  Fingers crossed the Xbox release is that.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I'll never win in this argument. I hope you guys enjoy.

I actually agree with you on some of your complaints.  It kind of looked bad for the time, and needs dual analog to feel modern.  There's even the issue of strafing being faster than normal walking. :o

Calling it too small is silly though.  It's at least as long as standard FPS campaigns today.

38 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I actually agree with you on some of your complaints.  It kind of looked bad for the time, and needs dual analog to feel modern.  There's even the issue of strafing being faster than normal walking. :o

Calling it too small is silly though.  It's at least as long as standard FPS campaigns today.

I forget the length but I remember the levels being kinda small. I won't touch this but it's cool I guess to try it for nostalgic purposes. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I forget the length but I remember the levels being kinda small. I won't touch this but it's cool I guess to try it for nostalgic purposes. 

For free yes. But no way am I going to upgrade my Nintendo online membership to play this lol. 

• True 1

1 hour ago, ShreddieMercury said:

4 player split screen Goldeneye would be more fun than about 95% of modern videogames so I'm not really understanding the whinging.

:feelsgood:

12 minutes ago, Dodger said:

This is the great thing about Games Pass. I'll give it a try for free and if it turns out it's aged like shit or the nostalgia just isn't there I can move on. 

Better than what I said above. :p

• Halal 1