Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 3 (05 May 2023) - Superb Owl Trailer

10 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I love Gunn but I dunno that his vibe is right for an entire “universe,” so we’ll see how broad of a brush he wants to use while painting DC.

From the stuff he and Peter have been saying, I don’t get the sense that they want to Gunn-ify the whole thing. The really consistent thing from them, and the new Warner Studio co-chiefs is: give all the resources and awesome IP to talented writers and directors, and make great movies.

31 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I love Gunn but I dunno that his vibe is right for an entire “universe,” so we’ll see how broad of a brush he wants to use while painting DC.

13 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

From the stuff he and Peter have been saying, I don’t get the sense that they want to Gunn-ify the whole thing. The really consistent thing from them, and the new Warner Studio co-chiefs is: give all the resources and awesome IP to talented writers and directors, and make great movies.

Yeah, I don't think they are going to Gunn-ify the whole thing either. We've seen The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker, which is definitely very James Gunn with an R-rating. But my understanding is that James Gunn's upcoming Superman movie which he's writing (Superman: Legacy, which he'll presumably direct as well) is being "based" off of Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely's "All-Star Superman" (which I loved as I'm sure most did) and the vibe of that comic series is decidedly not James Gunn at all (except in its humor and breeziness perhaps). 

I think this is the Superman people wanted instead of Snyder's version, so it's probably the right way to go. Kind and noble god who does struggle and deal with problems as opposed to a dark and tortured and conflicted god.

Hey I want to believe. But when I read the strat is “give all the resources and awesome IP to talented writers and directors, and make great movies,” I get the same vibes as when I hear execs say, “our new focus is delivering products on time and and on budget.” :p If it was that easy everyone would be doing it. 

But hey if that conjures a Superman movie that doesn’t blow ass I’ll be thrilled. 

6 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Hey I want to believe. But when I read the strat is “give all the resources and awesome IP to talented writers and directors, and make great movies,” I get the same vibes as when I hear execs say, “our new focus is delivering products on time and and on budget.” :p If it was that easy everyone would be doing it. 

But hey if that conjures a Superman movie that doesn’t blow ass I’ll be thrilled. 

But it is literally what Warners did for all but maybe a decade of their 100 year existence! They were the filmmakers studio! Then they got it in their heads they needed to rip off what Disney was doing with Marvel, and they did it really poorly and made a bunch of other blunders that harmed their credibility with top tier talent.

I’m telling you, watching Zaslav go unscripted for 20-30 minutes about cinema (basically nobody does this at Cinemacon, and the teleprompter screens are right next to where I usually sit 😂), it wasn’t suit talk. Same thing when Pam Abdy was talking at the Cinema Foundation gathering last fall. There wasn’t any press, she was speaking freely (and what a MOUTH that Jersey girl has 😮), and just riffing for an hour about why it important for Warners to be the filmmakers studio again, and how much support she and her co-chair Mike De Luca have from the very top. It is also telling to me the Zaslav hired people who haven’t spent their whole career pumping out big franchise titles to run the studio.

I could be getting rug-pulled by them, but I don’t think so. I don’t generally buy what these people are selling, for the reasons you allude to.

25 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

But it is literally what Warners did for all but maybe a decade of their 100 year existence! They were the filmmakers studio! Then they got it in their heads they needed to rip off what Disney was doing with Marvel, and they did it really poorly and made a bunch of other blunders that harmed their credibility with top tier talent.

I’m telling you, watching Zaslav go unscripted for 20-30 minutes about cinema (basically nobody does this at Cinemacon, and the teleprompter screens are right next to where I usually sit 😂), it wasn’t suit talk. Same thing when Pam Abdy was talking at the Cinema Foundation gathering last fall. There wasn’t any press, she was speaking freely (and what a MOUTH that Jersey girl has 😮), and just riffing for an hour about why it important for Warners to be the filmmakers studio again, and how much support she and her co-chair Mike De Luca have from the very top. It is also telling to me the Zaslav hired people who haven’t spent their whole career pumping out big franchise titles to run the studio.

I could be getting rug-pulled by them, but I don’t think so. I don’t generally buy what these people are selling, for the reasons you allude to.

818k1CLbUbL.jpg

I enjoyed this one well enough. As far as trilogy cappers go this one is more in the vein of Return of the Jedi. It does make some weird choices in the middle that I appreciate but overall the conclusion felt intentionally safe.

Spoiler

The first trailer was definitely selling this as a movie where one of the main crew will die so I went in expecting a tragic ending and there is none of that. But maybe that's okay? Audiences have been in love with these characters for 9 years now and the world sucks enough as it is, so I can't get too mad at everyone surviving by the end. But it did keep the ending from seeming so... I dunno, final? I know several of the cast said this is their final Marvel movie but it won't be too hard to bring back at least some of these characters, even if just to have a small part in an Avengers movie. Was hoping for more definitive of a conclusion but I guess this is as good as you'll get from Marvel.

3 hours ago, Kamusha said:

I enjoyed this one well enough. As far as trilogy cappers go this one is more in the vein of Return of the Jedi. It does make some weird choices in the middle while I appreciate but overall the conclusion felt intentionally safe.

Hide contents

The first trailer was definitely selling this as a movie where one of the main crew will die so I went in expecting a tragic ending and there is none of that. But maybe that's okay? Audiences have been in love with these characters for 9 years now and the world sucks enough as it is, so I can't get too mad at everyone surviving by the end. But it did keep the ending from seeming so... I dunno, final? I know several of the cast said this is their final Marvel movie but it won't be too hard to bring back at least some of these characters, even if just to have a small part in an Avengers movie. Was hoping for more definitive of a conclusion but I guess this is as good as you'll get from Marvel.

Me and my friends joked...

Spoiler

...just in case that whole DC thing doesn't work, Gunn still has all his MCU toys alive and well to play with later.

Word of mouth is good on this flick. Only a -49% drop in week 2, even with a not movie going friendly holiday in Mother's Day killing the Sunday matinee attendance which drives Sunday box office.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think this is the weakest of the Guardians movies. It’s still a good time but I think there’s a lot here that would have been caught with better editing and a more cohesive mission statement.

Peter has a drinking problem but only for as long as it takes to cause a consequence and then it never comes up again. Kraglin having a bigger role feels way more like it’s because he’s James Gunn’s brother than anything interesting to do with the character especially because he learns the exact same thing as Peter did at the end of the last movie. Groot has never been this boring before. Mantis telling Drax she thinks that he’s stupid and then memory wiping him is just… so fucking mean. And for a movie that sets up the the High Evolutionary’s treatment of animals as cruel and inhumane… the Guardians slaughtering a bunch of them in a hallway and then the mid credits scene where they’re clearly about to tee off on a bunch of “lower life forms” feels like it misses the entire point of why Rocket’s creation was so heartless.

Nebula and Gamora were all good, the movie has a solid sense of style, and it’s always great to see the heroes of these movies genuinely care about saving and helping people. The needle drops were fun, as always. And all of the Rocket stuff was pretty great

But I dunno, for a movie that’s supposed to be the end of this crew, I feel like them breaking up came out of the blue within the movie and I dunno that it made a ton of sense?

• Halal 2

• 4 weeks later...

That reminds me that I gotta put my 3D order in at Amazon Japan, as it comes out in another 2 weeks. Does it have the shifting aspect ratios on the Disney+ version. I’m hoping it’s on the 3D release as well because they have been missing on all releases after Black Widow. 

I didn't know this came out in D+, I'll have to check it out.

The first GOTG movie is easily the best MCU movie in my opinion. The second one is pretty good, but I don't like how they *constantly* have to undercut every heartfelt moment with a joke before letting it breathe for a damn minute.

• Halal 1

57 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

The first GOTG movie is easily the best MCU movie in my opinion. The second one is pretty good, but I don't like how they *constantly* have to undercut every heartfelt moment with a joke before letting it breathe for a damn minute.

Honestly, on recent rewatch of Vol. 2 it doesn't undercut those moments as frequently as we all remember I think, it was one or two moments, and nothing in it is as egregious as Korg's comments at the end of the otherwise excellent Thor: Ragnarok (when Asgard blows up, etc.). Not disagreeing with you, but I remember even I felt it was pretty bad on first watch, then on rewatch felt nah, this is pretty solid overall, not as much undercutting as I remember of dramatic moments with comedy/humor/quips. But not as good as the first, and I felt Vol. 3 was better than Vol. 2 as well.

watched it today.. braced myself for the sadness.. still hits..

its a bit sloppier than the other films in the series but still a good time..

it is very odd to see the film close on the guardians preparing to slaughter some animals after the arc the movie just went through…

2 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

yeah I meant 4 lol..

I tried watching it at the theater but there was an audio issue that prevented it.. stupid lost in the woods theater

Man, I felt Thor: Love and Thunder (the fourth one) was really rough. A string of not great SNL skits and overtly cheesy family stuff all in one.

24 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Man, I felt Thor: Love and Thunder (the fourth one) was really rough. A string of not great SNL skits and overtly cheesy family stuff all in one.

There was a good movie in there somewhere, but they kept too much of the cringy improve. Some of it worked but very rarely did it land a good laugh like Ragnarok did. Maybe I was missing that Thor and Loki dynamic of welcoming the help but being very wary of it what he could do. No one on the team you had to worry about stabbing you in the back, as they all had it. 

• Halal 1