Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 3 (05 May 2023) - Superb Owl Trailer

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 3 (05 May 2023) - Official Trailer

I haven't seen Thor Love and Thunder or Black Panther Wakanda Forever yet, so before I watch this trailer are there any spoilers for those movies in this? I'm guessing no, but want to be safe. I haven't seen She-Hulk yet but I can't imagine that show would have much to do with this movie haha. 

2 hours ago, Brick said:

I haven't seen Thor Love and Thunder or Black Panther Wakanda Forever yet, so before I watch this trailer are there any spoilers for those movies in this? I'm guessing no, but want to be safe. I haven't seen She-Hulk yet but I can't imagine that show would have much to do with this movie haha. 

I’m behind on my Marvel flicks as well. I watched Spider-Man: No Way Home but that’s all, and it didn’t seem to show anything spoiler wise to previous movies/shows. Good trailer and excellent choice as always for the song

7 hours ago, Brick said:

nothing from those movies/shows are in teh trailer 

8 hours ago, Brick said:

While I wouldn't say it's essential viewing just for the trailer, but when the actual film GotG 3 comes out the opening act in Love and Thunder does have the Guardians in it so there is connective tissue story-wise from Thor: Love and Thunder to GotG 3 that you'll probably want to see beforehand. Not a lot happens but there are scenes with them after Endgame in Love and Thunder. :p 

• 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 3 (05 May 2023) - Superb Owl Trailer
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This flick is really good for about 85% of its run time, but the weak bits really did drag it down for me. All the Rocket backstory stuff was great, some of the stuff Gunn has proven best at during the Marvel part of his career.

The people I watched it with liked it a lot more than I did, so I’ll be curious to see the reaction of everybody here.

Tracking on the flick is below Ant-man 3, which is crazy to me. I haven’t watched more than one trailer, are they just not selling it well? Hearing more real people takes, seems like audiences love it, so WOM should help it leg out solid business.

16 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Tracking on the flick is below Ant-man 3, which is crazy to me. I haven’t watched more than one trailer, are they just not selling it well? Hearing more real people takes, seems like audiences love it, so WOM should help it leg out solid business.

I see non stop commercials for it so I'm sure someone will go to see it.

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I see non stop commercials for it so I'm sure someone will go to see it.

I mean, it’s still tracking north of 100 million. Just surprising to me that Antman 3 might have the higher opening weekend. I can’t imagine a scenario in which AM3 has a better total gross than GOTG3 though, as AM3 might be a legitimately bad movie and I didn’t hear hardly a single positive reaction to it!

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

That does seem crazy. The previous Guardians movies have dramatically outpaced the Ant Man films in BO and in both critical and audience reception.

I imagine you're right that Guardians 3 will absolutely beat Quantumania in overall gross, but it seems like it shouldn't even be close at opening. Guardians 2 did almost $150M opening weekend, but I guess that was a lot of Marvel movies ago.

This will likely be the last MCU movie that I see in theaters. Quantumania really soured me on Marvel as a whole but I wanna see the Guardians through for what is sure to be the last movie for many of these characters.

Maybe the low projection is a sign that the enthusiasm and good faith for every new Marvel thing is starting to wan. I thought this being a James Gunn Guardians movie would bring more interest but it seems like the brand has really been tarnished by Phase IV and Quantumania.

22 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Liked it a lot. Easily my favorite of the post-Endgame era.

I mean, not exactly a high bar. But the flick is well made and the funny bits are actually funny. Who would have thought making the funny stuff funny would be a good idea?

Black Panther 2 just made close to $900M, Strange 2 almost hit $1B, Love and Thunder hit almost $750M despite not being a critical darling. I don't think the MCU is tarnished, Quantumania was just a bit of a stinker. If you asked what people liked most about the first 2 Ant-Man flicks, it was probably heist hijinks, the supporting cast, and them having fun with shrink / growth powers. Quantumania has almost none of those things!

I think there's a ton of real estate between the superhero movie doom that people have been predicting for at least a decade now and MCU flicks being an automatic money printer.

16 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I mean, not exactly a high bar. But the flick is well made and the funny bits are actually funny. Who would have thought making the funny stuff funny would be a good idea?

The funny stuff is funny, and the emotional stuff actually got me feeling pretty emotional. 

Spoiler

At the end when Rocket goes back and finds the cage full of baby raccoons, I kinda lost it in a way I really wasn’t expecting. These movies never hit me like that. 

• Hugs 1

Saw it last night and I really liked it. Definitely the best MCU film post Endgame and it might be right up there with some of the best the series has to offer. It takes a lot of big emotional swings and it doesn't always connect, but there are more hits than misses, and a few of them it hits out of the park. There are a few incredibly touching moments that affected me more than I expected from an MCU movie, though it also veers into the saccharine more than once. Even when it did go a bit far, it was always a very genuine send-off from a cast and crew that really love this bunch of misfits. The humor and the action felt like they took a back seat to the drama, but they both showed up when they needed to. There's one stand out action sequence and a number of comic bits that really landed.

I have to say that didn't miss the multi-verse at all. Yeah, there is a lot of continuity baggage given that we've been seeing these characters in half a dozen films over the last 9 years, but like the other Guardians movies, this one felt like it took place in it's own corner of the universe. For some reason I was expecting to see Thor (and even kinda rewatched the terrible Love and Thunder), but I didn't really miss him.

55 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

There's one stand out action sequence and a number of comic bits that really landed.

Gunn really saved his best action work for THAT scene. I think the movie, and GOTG as a whole, is just a perfect example of what the MCU could be if Feige would let directors have more creative freedom.

And I get why he doesn’t, but it is also why despite the countless failures by Warners with DC Film, I am significantly more interested in what they have cooking over there as the studio returns to a filmmaker first stance as they move forward.

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Gunn really saved his best action work for THAT scene. I think the movie, and GOTG as a whole, is just a perfect example of what the MCU could be if Feige would let directors have more creative freedom.

And I get why he doesn’t, but it is also why despite the countless failures by Warners with DC Film, I am significantly more interested in what they have cooking over there as the studio returns to a filmmaker first stance as they move forward.

I love Gunn but I dunno that his vibe is right for an entire “universe,” so we’ll see how broad of a brush he wants to use while painting DC.