Anyone planning to see The Menu this weekend?

1 hour ago, EternallDarkness said:

Had never even heard of Bones and All until I saw an ad for it last week. Looks twisted. 

Yeah at first I thought it was a vampire flick then it dawned on me "Oh shit they're in daylight! OMFG THEY'RE CANNIBALS!" So yeah definitely intrigued for sure (thanks 'Alive' for leaving your mark on my psyche & soul.)

1 hour ago, EternallDarkness said:

Is it too gruesome? My sister actually said she thought it looked good, but I know she doesn't do well with brutal violence. 

There are a couple moments that might be tough for the squeamish, but it’s not really a blood and guts movie. In terms of foodie horror, it’s much less  upsetting than the average episode of Hannibal. 

I haven't seen The Menu yet, but as a big fan of Chef, Burnt, and The Bear (even Pig kind of counts), an amazing movie starring Stephen Graham came out last year, insane reviews, called Boiling Point. Not sure how I missed it, the entire film is done in a one take - and it was a great movie the wife and I watched last night. I highly recommend it if you can't see The Menu yet.

Took an opportunity to see it this weekend, and it’s fun. It’s not amazing, and I’m not sure it’s the most in depth criticism of the issues it addresses, but it’s consistently entertaining.

I enjoy fancy food and I’ve had the opportunity to eat at more than a few Michelin Star restaurants, but I’m in no way a hardcore foodie. Still, I’ve had enough exposure to that scene to really feel what this film is aiming for, and I think they hit it pretty well. Not that I think that’s necessary. You probably don’t need to have seen a single episode of Chef’s Table or had thousand dollar meals to understand what the film is saying about creation and obsession.

There are a few revelations that really made a mark, but also ended up overshadowing other moments that felt shallow by comparison. The leads all do excellent jobs, and the film has a few well earned moments of comedy.

Honestly, my biggest issue with the whole thing might be that they only charge “$1250 a head.” Add a zero to that price at the very least.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I gotta say I was quite unimpressed by this one compared to you guys. I was all in and excited for it and watched it for real in my living room with full attention, well, with my friend and we txtd but that just makes me pay more attention. But yeah it didn’t do it for me, I kept trying to figure out how bad it was trying to intentionally be until I decided it was just bad. Everyone acted in unbelievable ways, like, just the acting even, but it never seemed to earn its tone enough to make it seem intentionally campy. Idk, it just seemed like a great movie set up that was mediocre in execution. 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, SoberChef said:

Oh it was abso-fucking-lutely intentional with the camp & dark humor. I'm sorry you didn't quite enjoy it nearly as much as myself & so many others. Personally, it's having worked in that industry for so very long that in a weird dark way, it was fantasy fulfillment.

If it makes you feel better I saw Terrifier and X because of your posts here and really liked those two! But yeah this one it just got to a point where I didn’t care if it was an intentional or not but it just didn’t land with me and I like that sorta thing. 

Her date in the movie, the foodie guy is 100% my brother in some ways  to a point it’s uncanny, I’ll give them that they nailed that.

• Shocked 1

@stepeeI am flattered that my opinion can have any weight on another, I'm so happy you sought out both X & Terrifier & that you enjoyed them both no less. Yeah, the first 5-10 minutes or so, Nicholas Hault's character is me when I allow myself to endulge at times, so seeing his comeuppance was *Chef's Kiss* beauteous!

• Like 1

Watched it the other day.  It’s a really fun way to spend about two hours with your brain off the hook, but with all the buzz I kept hearing I was expecting more.  It’s well done, it’s funny, some of the actors are clearly having the time of their life, but there’s nothing there to really elevate it to greatness.  I know it’s not really that kind of movie, but it also just doesn’t really make sense in a key moment.

Spoiler

So the dipshit boyfriend/client knows in advance everyone is going to die, and he’s taking pictures of the food?  For what?  To remember them in ten minutes?  I get the irony of him being so obsessed with the chef and the food that he’d ignore the no photos rule, but come it doesn’t make sense after you know what he’s aware of.

• Like 1

I watched a trailer for it a while back and finally watched it this past Friday. I was expecting bit more. A bit more of a mystery being unfolded, like I figured each and every person had done something besides being annoyingly shit humans. I thought there was going to be more cat and mouse terror as people try to survive. As if Saw or Squid Games meets Burnt. I wish I hadn’t seen the trailer a couple months ago. 

ah well, I still enjoyed it. The dark humor and surface level “eat the rich” messaging carried the movie for me. And I like seeing Anaya and Ralph is almost anything. 

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Derek said:

I enjoyed it. I know a lot of the stuff went right over my head or I just missed some things.

Hide contents

Everyone there ruined his 'craft', life or... day in some way. Aside from cheating on his own wife, how did the guy that lost his ring finger 'hurt' the Chef? Or his wife? Also, the foodie? Or was it just because they were terrible people?

If I had time, I would've watched it again, but the free HBO weekend has ended.

I just saw the film as well, I thought it was really good. Well made on every technical level, surprising story with twists and turns you can't guess since the film is so weird and different, and another strong "eat the rich" messaging. I'd give it a 7.5 or 8/10. As to your question:

Spoiler

1. Ralph Fiennes had a problem with the couple where the husband had cheated on his wife because the two of them were his regulars at this exclusive restaurant on an island and they treated it like they were dining at Olive Garden. They couldn't name, much less appreciate, all the exquisite dishes he had been making every time they ate there, which was a lot, which he saw as an enormous insult to him and to food. Which is why he asks them "name one dish you ate last time" or whatever it was. They didn't appreciate what they were being gifted.

2. The two food critics that were eating together were problematic for Ralph Fiennes because the lady food critic had written a poor review of him in the recent past (after being his champion early in his career), and also because artists simply don't think critics who can't do what they do have any right to comment on it, especially negatively. Unless you meant Nicholas Hoult's character that was with Anya Taylor-Joy (he was a foodie, but not an actual food critic), Ralph Fiennes' issue with him was his sycophant-like nature and his belief that acting like you know food doesn't mean you actually know shit about food if you can't even cook (to Ralph Fiennes anyway in the movie) which is why he embarrasses Hoult's character trying to make him cook in front of everyone. Hoult also interrupted him numerous times (which he hates).

• Thanks 1

Spoiler

I thought the food critics were there less for the bad review and more for bringing him into this life in the first place.  He started as a happy burger cook, then his first positive review shows and he’s increasingly less happy.  The more he’s praised, the more exclusive he becomes, and the further it separates him from the original pleasure that cooking and serving people brought.  

• Halal 1

It was ok, entertaining enough but I sorta don't get it..

Spoiler

I get the critic, the fanboy, and the investors. 

But like, the actor? And even more his partner? Why? Because she didn't have to struggle with student loans? Lame.

The patron whos gone 11 times? Why? Him cheating on his wife has nothing to do with the chef. Him not remembering dishes, who cares he enjoys it enough to keep going. And that guys wife, why??? Seems really ungrateful tbh. He should be thanking them for being excellent customers. I didn't notice them complain or demand anything when things were "normal." Their relationship issues aren't Chef's business. 

2 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

It was ok, entertaining enough but I sorta don't get it..

Reveal hidden contents

I think the main answer is that the whole thing is kinda stupid :p

• Guillotine 1
  • True 1