I’ll be in Germany/France next week and it will be around 40-50 degrees

I am obviously from a place where it isn’t regularly in that temperature range. Any suggestions on the sorts of clothing I ought to pack for a week of such temps?

15 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Even for temps in the 40s, I'm usually just going with a long sleeve shirt. It was 44 when I sent my 4yo to school this morning and I sent her off in a light hoodie.

19 minutes ago, Chris- said:

But in all seriousness, just focus on packing things you can layer; far better to layer for warmth than rely on one jacket/sweater.

I was thinking mostly hoodies/long sleeves. “layering” seems to be the sort of thing I am seeing most often when I looked around the googles.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

I was thinking mostly hoodies/long sleeves. “layering” seems to be the sort of thing I am seeing most often when I looked around the googles.

Depending on where you are, especially in France, I'd be more wary of chilly wind. You can get hit with the same weather we're getting here in Massachusetts. We've been getting days where too much time in the sun will leave you feeling baked, but the air temperature is still down in the 40s and 50s. No wind and and a ton of sun will leave you sweating if you're dressed too heavily while a hoodie would be really nice to protect your face when the wind turns against you.

Unless you are going be outside a lot, you don’t need that much warm clothing. Warm hat, gloves and a good jacket is all I would recommend. Europeans keep the indoors fucking toasty.  Not sure if the Christmas markets are open yet but if they are, definitely hit them up and drink some mulled wine. 

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I am obviously from a place where it isn’t regularly in that temperature range. Any suggestions on the sorts of clothing I ought to pack for a week of such temps?

Pants. Sweatshirts. Pull overs. Light jacket. Maybe a windbreaker. What are you three years old? Don’t know how to dress in cooler temps?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Pants. Sweatshirts. Pull overs. Light jacket. Maybe a windbreaker. What are you three years old? Don’t know how to dress in cooler temps?

It is that temp like 7 random days a year here! I don’t think I even own a sweat shirt, light jacket, or windbreaker 😂

But in all seriousness, yeah you want one or two layers of heat retention (e.g. hoodies, fleece) and a layer of wind/rain stopper (e.g. rain jacket, hardshell jacket, etc.). Hat/gloves optional, depending on your personal comfort level. It might also be a good opportunity to buy and wear a scarf, if you've never done so before. It's the style there (it's where I picked up the habit too) and it's pretty crazy what a difference it makes if your neck is no longer exposed and cold!

Yeah man, layering is the way. That way when you inevitably enter a business/cafe/whatever and it's 90 degrees in there because everyone is chain-smoking and the radiators are turned to full heat in typical European fashion, you can cope with it. 

For me that temp is weather for undershirt, undershirt t-shirt over that, hoodie and light jacket combo. Thick socks and you're good. 

On 11/9/2022 at 8:06 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

Talking to him about money is like telling a fish to swim. He's going to buy whatever it is no matter the price. :p

My daily outfit is 99% of the time $12 gym shorts and a $20 Astros or movie themed tshirt! I like good value props