Succession: The Final Season (HBO, 26 March 2023) - Official Trailer

• 2 months later...

I've been re-watching this show in anticipation and it's just so good. The writing is incredible. It's fun and funny, but it really pulls a magic trick in how well the stakes of every conversation are so clear, even when they're discussing some arcane financial mechanism or complicated corporate strategy. When I compare that to Yellowstone, which is a very similar show in some ways, the actual business dealings are comparatively straightforward, but communicated so poorly. It's not necessarily confusing, but it's definitely far less clear in addition to being much less fun. In Succession you can revel in both the language as much as the boardroom drama.

• Halal 1

• 4 weeks later...

Creator Jesse Armstrong has confirmed that this upcoming season will be the last:

jeremy-strong-sarah-snook-kieran-culkin-
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

Creator Jesse Armstrong confirmed that the upcoming installment will be its last.

Creator and showrunner Jesse Armstrong revealed that the upcoming fourth season will indeed be its final run on the Warner Bros. Discovery-backed premium cable network, telling the New Yorker that “there’s a promise in the title of Succession. I’ve never thought this could go on forever. The end has always been kind of present in my mind. From season two, I’ve been trying to think: Is it the next one, or the one after that, or is it the one after that?”

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Succession: Season 4 (HBO, Spring 2023) - creator Jesse Armstrong confirms that this is the final season
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Succession: The Final Season (HBO, Spring 2023) - Official Trailer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Succession: The Final Season (HBO, 26 March 2023) - Official Trailer
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, good start... pretty by-the-numbers / low-key episode overall... but even an episode that's just sorta setting the table and bringing us back into the world is still solid gold.

Critics have been sent the first 4 episodes to watch and apparently they are A. very very good and B. some huge shit goes down that they are not allowed to discuss.

Surely at some point Logan is going to actually die? Right? Guessing not in the first 4 episodes... but I can see this show making his death very sudden or shocking in some way.

I'm excited to finally be able to watch this show in real time with the rest of the world. I feel like Succession is one of the few shows that is actually almost a cultural event in this insane over-saturated / over-entertained / over-stuffed media landscape we live in.

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

The three Roy kids get a legitimate win over their father, so that means things are going to go particularly bad for them in the next few episodes I imagine. Glad to have the show back, it hasn't skipped a beat. 

I didn’t entirely read it like that, though I don’t disagree that the other foot is bound to drop. I thought that it was pretty clear that the kids were clearly in over their heads, negotiated poorly, and as a result dramatically overpaid. Yeah, they beat out Logan’s bid, but as much as they might be ready to celebrate, they clearly have no understanding of the value of money or how much of it they just wasted in order to “win” this one from their dad.

I thought this was a great opening to a final season. Can’t wait to see more.

• True 1

12 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I didn’t entirely read it like that, though I don’t disagree that the other foot is bound to drop. I thought that it was pretty clear that the kids were clearly in over their heads, negotiated poorly, and as a result dramatically overpaid. Yeah, they beat out Logan’s bid, but as much as they might be ready to celebrate, they clearly have no understanding of the value of money or how much of it they just wasted in order to “win” this one from their dad.

I thought this was a great opening to a final season. Can’t wait to see more.

Yeah I agree with you - the win for them was as children when Logan go told them to fuck themselves. After all the abuse they've suffered since they were children, to me that was the win, not beating out Logan to buy Pierce News. This is the first time they've truly emancipated themselves from Logan and there seems to be slightly more trust and breeziness without Logan looming over their heads and pitting each of the siblings against each other. 

And I agree I was saying similar things to my wife as I was watching. "They're acting like they have $10 billion to casually throw away." "Why is Roman sounding like the voice of reason this entire episode?" "Roman is right you're letting yourselves get dragged back into family/dad shit". "What if the GoJo sale doesn't go through in the next 48 hours because Logan refuses to sell it as a 'fuck you' to the kids for fucking him over with Pierce News?" So the Roy kids definitely don't understand what they're doing, but hey, they're somewhat free finally.

The reason I think this is a ticking time bomb is because this is Succession and no one gets to be happy for very long. Also show is still funny as shit, I'm constantly laughing far more than I should.

• Like 1

It may just be the time skip but the Roy kids all seem kind of flanderized. The dialogue continues to be all bangers all the time, but I’m starting to feel like there might actually be too many bangers and they’ve gone too far upstream from anything anyone would ever say. 

Also I’m officially casting my lot with team Disgusting Brothers. I hope they win the game of thrones. 

1 hour ago, osxmatt said:

Nan accepting $10 billion from the kids when Logan offered here $25 billion in season 2, oof!

Sounds like Pierce News' value has been slipping considerably since season 2. In the latest episode Roy didn't even seem willing to go over $7 billion. One thing the Roy kids haven't considered yet is, even though their new idea/company The Hundred sounds like a slapdash idea on paper, it is media and content related so why not combine The Hundred with Pierce News? Use a legacy brand to boost a new idea to help make The Hundred successful out of the gate? They're looking for backers and contributors anyway so how can not owning Pierce not help with that? They kept talking like they can't do both. I assume they'll lose their own money they had planned to use to back The Hundred and moved it to buy Pierce but still seems doable.

4 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

I'm in season 1, the board vote scene where Logan refused to leave and fired everyone I think is how a Trump cabinet no confidence vote would have gone for Pence. 

If you think season 1 is Trumpy, just wait until season 2 and 3 when it goes full blown Murdochs.

• Like 1

Connor's final lines of the episode: damn

“The good thing about having a family who doesn’t love you is that you learn to live without it. You’re all chasing after Dad, saying, ‘Love me, please love me, I need love, I need attention.' You’re needy love sponges. And I’m a plant that grows on rocks, and lives off insects that die inside of me. If Willa doesn’t come back, that’s fine. Because I don’t need love; it’s like a superpower. And if she comes back, and doesn’t love me, that’s okay, too. Because I don’t need it. Thanks for the party.”

• True 1

Spoiler

The look on Logan's face when he says "They have some fucking juice." He just loves the thrill of the hunt. He always says "everthing I've done, I've done for my children," which would be true if you swap the word "for" with "to." He truly only lives to abuse people. his children most of all.

Also yeah, the Connor speech at the end was fantastic. It's the type of thing only a character who's been pointedly ignored or derided for several seasons could pull off.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

29 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

That was an absolutely riveting hour of TV, the way it was filmed made me feel what the children were going through in the moment.

Yeah and having some lost family members recently it definitely felt real to me. The "inside the episode" after this was very interesting describing how the actors felt shoiting this and how they filmed certain scenes. Amazing.

• Thanks 1