Succession: The Final Season (HBO, 26 March 2023) - Official Trailer

5 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Personally, I say it's underlined. Who starts crossing out words from left to right beginning with underlining the first word? It would start out crossing the first word from its middle, I'd presume. Looked to me like an old man doing a poor underlining job. 

Same exact thought I had.

• Halal 1

19 hours ago, Amazatron said:

Second-hand embarrassment was strong in this one watching Tom, Greg, and Hugo fumble over themselves trying to make an impression to the Swedes.

The Swedes made me experience something that I previously considered impossible: to feel the smallest possible iota of sympathy for the Roys.

So, clearly the Roy Boys overplayed their hand, even if either outcome works out for them (Shiv may be playing a longer game by trying to stay in Mattson's orbit without a safety net being given by her siblings). It's pretty clear Mattson was never going to buy Waystar Royco without ATN once he made his intention known that he wanted ATN too. In fact, the idea he was proposing on what to do with ATN afterward sounded a lot like what the Roy siblings wanted to do by combining Pierce with ATN and creating something new from that. 

So either (a) the Roy Boys are able to get Mattson to spurn the deal in a manner that doesn't look like they intentionally sunk the deal as co-CEO's (as that would go against their fiduciary duty to the board) and they get to run Waystar Royco; or (b) they get Mattson to overpay, which is exactly what happens, whether intentionally or not. You could even argue Roman subconsciously ruined things because he seemed to want to follow through on his dad's desire to sell and since it worked and Mattson is overpaying, it makes the Roy Boys look good even though it's not what they wanted deep down (moreso for Kendall). Whether they keep Waystar Royco and run it or get Mattson to overpay and make a shit ton of money, more than the originally floated $144 per share up to $192 per share and then go do whatever they want afterward, either is a win.

So while Mattson "wins" I think since they could never keep ATN getting all that money they can combine Pierce with their idea of The Hundred (if that's still happening) and go from there. Free themselves from the yoke of Waystar Royco altogether now that Logan is dead.

God this show is good. Every episode is a banger.

16 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

So, clearly the Roy Boys overplayed their hand, even if either outcome works out for them (Shiv may be playing a longer game by trying to stay in Mattson's orbit without a safety net being given by her siblings). It's pretty clear Mattson was never going to buy Waystar Royco without ATN once he made his intention known that he wanted ATN too. In fact, the idea he was proposing on what to do with ATN afterward sounded a lot like what the Roy siblings wanted to do by combining Pierce with ATN and creating something new from that. 

So either (a) the Roy Boys are able to get Mattson to spurn the deal in a manner that doesn't look like they intentionally sunk the deal as co-CEO's (as that would go against their fiduciary duty to the board) and they get to run Waystar Royco; or (b) they get Mattson to overpay, which is exactly what happens, whether intentionally or not. You could even argue Roman subconsciously ruined things because he seemed to want to follow through on his dad's desire to sell and since it worked and Mattson is overpaying, it makes the Roy Boys look good even though it's not what they wanted deep down (moreso for Kendall). Whether they keep Waystar Royco and run it or get Mattson to overpay and make a shit ton of money, more than the originally floated $144 per share up to $192 per share and then go do whatever they want afterward, either is a win.

So while Mattson "wins" I think since they could never keep ATN getting all that money they can combine Pierce with their idea of The Hundred (if that's still happening) and go from there. Free themselves from the yoke of Waystar Royco altogether now that Logan is dead.

Given the information we actually get, I think it's impossible to know if the deal is a good one or not, but ultimately I think that's not the point. The boys, despite all their bluster, got played, again. Certainly we know that the old guard is happy with the new price that includes ATN, but I don't think that necessarily implies that Mattson overpaid.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

24 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Given the information we actually get, I think it's impossible to know if the deal is a good one or not, but ultimately I think that's not the point. The boys, despite all their bluster, got played, again. Certainly we know that the old guard is happy with the new price that includes ATN, but I don't think that necessarily implies that Mattson overpaid.

I agree given we don't know the value of ATN so we can't know he necessarily overpaid, but the initial hope was between $144 to $148 (where they considered $148 very hopeful) before Mattson re-introduced also including ATN. But most people at Waystar Royco seem very pleased and celebratory at hearing $192 which includes ATN, so I'm assuming that while he maybe didn't overpay, this is way better than anyone at Waystar Royco seemed to expect, even including ATN in the deal. Especially since the Roy Boys were at the helm. This may not have been what they secretly wanted and so to them Mattson "won", they still look really good at getting him to $192 so maybe while not intentional it helps their resumes and business credibility.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TheLeon said:

It is pretty funny how Mattson completely destroys Kendall and Roman by just offering them a shit load of money. 

That's how it works for rich people... they "lost" by becoming even richer. That's why this show is so brilliant. Shiv is definitely playing the long game because she wants to be rid of Fox New... I mean ATN and she sees Mateson as her vehicle to do so. He wants to turn ATN into Bloomberg news from the sound of it where she wants it to become MSNBC. Gonna be real curious to see how this resolves itself. I'm also curious about what her plans for Tom are. Seems like she wants to keep him around just to torture him. Line of the night: "I'm more worried about what the cast of Bugsy Malone has in store for me" - Tom :p

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

God this show is good. Every episode is a banger.

From what I understand, Waystar's stock a had taken several hits from it's highs of 200+ per share. The guys where hoping for around 145-147 per share and weren't willing to go below 144. Mateson bought it for 197 per share so given the historical trends of the stock and the potential for it to get back it its peak of 200+ per share (where it was basically when the show started) Mateson STILL got a bargain and has the potential to make even MORE money. Bottom line is ALL of these fuckers are rich and the winning and losing is really only measured by who loses the dick measuring contest.

Rome didn't like Mateson disrespecting their father and Ken didn't like playing second fiddle to Mateson and secretly wants to take over Waystar Royco and prove that he's better at it than Logan. This is all a battle of ego. These people are so rich they will never truly be broke. See Donald Trump.

6 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

Finished season 3, kinda proud of Tom ngl. Dude comes from nothing and is (currently) in a better position than kids born at the top. He was smart to volunteer himself and was the only one who treated Logan (not that he deserves it) like a human/with compassion when he was sick. 

Tom is easily my favorite character on the show.

I kind of hate how much internet analysts have latched onto the “serious people” line. The Roy kids never had a chance with a father who just wants them to dance and kiss the ring. All of Logan’s offers to his kids have been in bad faith and calculated to maximally humiliate them when he finally reneges. Matsson isn’t serious when all he does is insist on haste while demanding to renegotiate just at the finish line. Everyone in this show is just fucking around yet somehow the kids are the only ones accused of not being serious. 

The whole thing is a dick measuring contest where the first person who pulls out their dick gets made fun of for actually wanting to measure dicks. 

• Halal 3

On 5/1/2023 at 6:14 AM, TheLeon said:

“It’s enough to make you lose your faith in capitalism. You can say anything.”

I think the show frequently makes the argument that when you have enough capital there are no bad moves. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

And yet, he managed to "fail upwards" once again!

The stupid Swede Nazi comment helped him. His presentation was good but that response was better. He's gifted at responding to challenges like that, like in the congressional hearings. 

• True 2
  • Halal 1

9 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

I sorta agree with Roman, the exec was out of line rude when he was just trying to be matter of fact about things. She tried to minimize him saying he wasn't like his dad various times but also tried to sway and manipulate him like she wouldn't do to Logan.

Roman was well within his purview to terminate the studio executive, but completely out of his depth with Gerri.

What Ken did to him at the end could very well push him firmly into siding with Matsson.

• Halal 1

40 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Roman was well within his purview to terminate the studio executive, but completely out of his depth with Gerri.

What Ken did to him at the end could very well push him firmly into siding with Matsson.

Wait what did he do? The fabricated numbers or did I miss something? 

Wait, Ken made the dad clip!? I didn't get that part. I thought he like had that made to torture himself. 

4 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Wait what did he do? The fabricated numbers or did I miss something? 

Wait, Ken made the dad clip!? I didn't get that part. I thought he like had that made to torture himself. 

Ken sent the "microdick" clip that Roman watched in the limo.

On his way home, Roman listens to Kendall’s crude pastiche of his father telling him he has “a microdick” and “always gets it wrong”. 

Thoughts on Shiv and Tom. It feels like Shiv is just treating Tom the way she always has and the only difference now is Tom stands up for himself which makes her get even more cutting in get remarks. It's a sad relationship to see. I'm sorta team Tom on this and he's definitely the one in the most precarious position because no one really wants him there, yet he's one of the few (along with Karolina & Gerri) who actually seem to do any work. 

1 minute ago, SuperSpreader said:

Thoughts on Shiv and Tom. It feels like Shiv is just treating Tom the way she always has and the only difference now is Tom stands up for himself which makes her get even more cutting in get remarks. It's a sad relationship to see. I'm sorta team Tom on this and he's definitely the one in the most precarious position because no one really wants him there, yet he's one of the few (along with Karolina & Gerri) who actually seem to do any work. 

For the first time in their relationship, both Tom and Shiv are being honest with each other about what they want.

• Halal 2