Succession: The Final Season (HBO, 26 March 2023) - Official Trailer

5 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Roman was well within his purview to terminate the studio executive, but completely out of his depth with Gerri.

What Ken did to him at the end could very well push him firmly into siding with Matsson.

I agree about the exec and Gerri but I interpret the scene at the end differently. I don't think Roman is upset with Kendall for the clip. In their relationship, stuff like that is a greeting card. I think Roman is grieving hard, spiraling out of control, and was overcome by emotion at seeing his dad say something that he actually would say.

I also like how many times Gerri has simply un-fired herself.

• Thanks 1
  • True 2
  • Halal 1

5 minutes ago, Moa said:

I agree about the exec and Gerri but I interpret the scene at the end differently. I don't think Roman is upset with Kendall for the clip. In their relationship, stuff like that is a greeting card. I think Roman is grieving hard, spiraling out of control, and was overcome by emotion at seeing his dad say something that he actually would say.

Roman, like all the Roy kids, was an abused child (and abused into adulthood) by both his absentee/vapid/uncaring mother and narcissistic personality disorder father. At this point, Roman interprets abuse as love (explains a lot about all the Roy children but Roman it's cross pollinated with his sexuality). So for him, he likes hearing that his father doesn't love or respect him and thinks he's sexually inadequate. He keeps listening to it because for him he likes hearing it, for him it's positive. In the same way at the top of the episode Logan called all his kids fucking idiots and Kendall is like: "just another loving day with dad" type line. 

• True 2
  • Halal 1

6 minutes ago, Moa said:

I don't think Roman is upset with Kendall for the clip. In their relationship, stuff like that is a greeting card. I think Roman is grieving hard, spiraling out of control, and was overcome by emotion at seeing his dad say something that he actually would say.

That's how I took it as well. Hearing his dad's voice is why he kept replaying it.

• Halal 1

For some reason I found this the most difficult episode of the show to watch. I think it's because the kids are finally in charge and making decisions and they're just so bad at it. They kinda keep failing upward, but one of these days it's all going to come crashing down.

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, TwinIon said:

For some reason I found this the most difficult episode of the show to watch. I think it's because the kids are finally in charge and making decisions and they're just so bad at it. They kinda keep failing upward, but one of these days it's all going to come crashing down.

I agree but I'm not sure it's because they're bad at it. It's because they're chasing their father's ghost and the approval they will never receive. They basically don't have any lives independent of their father or any metric to measure success other than their father's approval. They didn't really want the company, they wanted Logan to think they were worthy of the company. There's also something really sad about Kendall that I can't quite put my finger on. Everything he does and wants seems to be so childlike. He had a treehouse at his 40th birthday party, he really wanted the clouds for the presentation, he just seems like a man desperately chasing after his childhood who's constantly disappointed by the impossibility of his dream. I think part of the reason he's such a shitty absent father is because in his mind he's still Logan's son rather than his own person who is responsible for more than just his own emotional well-being.

• True 2
  • Halal 1

5 hours ago, TwinIon said:

In the post episode wrap-up after Logan died, Brian Cox made a comment about Logan's absence being missed from the show because he was basically the antagonist and without him, you don't have much conflict. When I saw that, I chalked it up to a little bit of sour grapes on his part but after this episode, I actually understood what he was talking about. Each kid is spiraling in different ways and there really isn't anyone to root for. This episode was decent, but I definitely felt the same way you did watching it.

25 minutes ago, ort said:

It's almost like Logan has even more of a stranglehold over everyone after his death.

There's no "almost" about it - the ghost of Logan Roy has all of them in an even tighter vise grip.

Even in death, Logan looms over every aspect of their lives (as symbolized by his face projected on to a giant video screen during Ken's presentation) to a greater degree than ever because they all feel the need to honor his (putridly toxic) legacy.

• True 1

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Same, it's become clearer with each episode but this made it overt.

Don’t get me wrong, it was more-or-less always apparent that Musk was at least part of an amalgamation for the character, but this ep made me go “oh, it’s pretty much just Musk” lmao :lol:

• Haha 1

I’m at the beginning of season 2, and I’m not sure I care to keep going. Shows about almost exclusively terrible people don’t really do it for me. It feels like a chore most of the time when I watch an episode.

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I’m at the beginning of season 2, and I’m not sure I care to keep going. Shows about almost exclusively terrible people don’t really do it for me. It feels like a chore most of the time when I watch an episode.

It gets worse... there's literally NOBODY you can root for. They're all terrible people.

My guess is that this episode was basically successions version of the big action set piece to close out the show... I was also expecting something a little more "shocking" but I did love how it all came together and we got to see the conflict a little more up close and personal instead of the usually backstabbing and sneaking around.

21 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I would just bail out. Not every show is for every person. On paper, Succession seems like the kind of show I would loathe, but it just clicks for me.

I think that after the first 2-3 episodes, this show is unbelievably consistent. IT is what it is and doesn't stray much from the formula.

It's the writing and dialog and how it's read by the actors, 100% yes.

I like how everything is about the relationships and all of these huge business deals and everything else are more or less background noise for the interpersonal conflicts between the main characters. Most shows would get bogged down in all of the minutia of the things they are fighting over, but the show doesn't focus on any of that... it's all on the people and their interactions.

• Halal 2