Succession: The Final Season (HBO, 26 March 2023) - Official Trailer

Ok question... just got finished watching the episode a second time. What did Roman mean when he said 

Spoiler

Kendall's kids weren't the true bloodline? At first I thought it was a racial thing because Rava is... other. But On a second watch, I think there IS some of that but also the implication is that one kid is either adopted or was Rava's from a previous relationship and the other is Rava's from some extramarital affair?

That sound right?

• Halal 1

I believe they are adopted.

I think all of my predictions about the finale came true. Tom as the figure head king, and a somewhat open ended ending without everything wrapped up. It was a good ending but I was kind of expecting more of a twist  it was actually pretty safe. Still loved it, great show. As much as I love this show, I think 4 seasons was enough, it would have started to get silly if they kept it going.

My guess at Tom was based on King Leer, which the show is very roughly based on. If none of the kids were to get the throne, it had to be the outsider character and Tom makes the most sense. Greg was too goofy of a pick. There was also a fun Easter egg I read online somewhere that the only player in the history of baseball to pull off a triple play all by himself was a guy named Bill Womsganns.

• Halal 1

I think I’m just going full spoilers / no blackouts here, if you watch succession and haven’t seen the finale and are in this thread you are just asking to be spoiled, so tough noogies…

I saw that scene a lot of different ways, yes, there is the subservience angle, and it’s clear Tom putting out his hand is an olive branch / him thinking about accepting her offer of getting back together...  it also him finally feeling like he has the power in the relationship… and she is willing to play along, but going deeper, I think this is her realizing that if she stays with Tom, she still has an angle into maybe taking control, so she is not giving up on the fantasy of running the big show. That’s why she turned on Kendall, because she realized she still had some skin in the game and didn’t want to just give up. If not her, then maybe their kid? I don’t know, but I loved that scene.

So here’s what I am wondering… aren’t all of the kids still on the hook for buying Pierce? They kinda dropped that entire part of the story for the second half of the season, but they were supposed to cash out in the sale to GoJo and then use the money to buy Pierce…. And nothing happened to make that go away right? So with the sale of Royco, the three of them are all committed to using their payout plus taking out additional massive loans to purchase Pierce and yet they all currently hate each other. It’s gonna be messy,  but I bet they can back out of it somehow… but we’ll never know and it doesn’t really matter… the hustle will continue…

• Halal 1

I know he “lost”, but I feel like Roman probably wins in the game of life. He’s out, he realizes it was all bullshit, and now he’s free to do whatever he wants. You know, find an old lady who’ll be kinda mean to him and settle down. 

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Of course they couldn’t not try and fuck each other over at the last minute. It’s the way the show has always been. 

Also get a look at this dumb dumb take. 

spacer.png

It's also a terrible take for the simple fact that the show fully acknowledges the mysogyny that Shiv and other women in her position faces. I mean it couldn't have been more blatant than Lucas' conversation with Tom basically telling Tom that he can't give the position to Shiv (whose idea it was to have an American CEO in the first place) because One, she was essentially TOO smart and was a too much of an actual equal to him and TWO because he wanted to fuck her and wouldn't be able to keep it in his pants. If THAT doesn't spell out the challenges women face in the corporate world I don't know what does. Tom basically kissed ass to the top which is sadly, a tried and true method in the business world that works. Particularly for straight white men. I don't know what show this person was watching and what she expected was going to happen.

And what the pictured scene says to ME is that while the two will stay together, they'll never actually BE together which is the true tragedy of their relationship and that kid is going to grow up one a hell of a houshold.

• Halal 1

9 hours ago, ort said:

I think I’m just going full spoilers / no blackouts here, if you watch succession and haven’t seen the finale and are in this thread you are just asking to be spoiled, so tough noogies…

I saw that scene a lot of different ways, yes, there is the subservience angle, and it’s clear Tom putting out his hand is an olive branch,  it also him finally feeling like he has the power in the relationship… and she is willing to play along, but going deeper, I think this is her realizing that if she stays with Tom, she still has an angle into maybe taking control, so she is not giving up on the fantasy of running the big show. That’s why she turned on Kendall, because she realized she still had some skin in the game and didn’t want to just give up. If not her, then maybe their kid? I don’t know, but I loved that scene.

So here’s what I am wondering… aren’t all of the kids still on the hook for buying Pierce? They kinda dropped that entire part of the story for the second half of the season, but they were supposed to cash out in the sale to GoJo and then use the money to buy Pierce…. And nothing happened to make that go away right? So with the sale of Royco, the three of them are all committed to using their payout plus taking out additional massive loans to purchase Pierce and yet they all currently hate each other. It’s gonna be messy,  but I bet they can back out of it somehow… but we’ll never know and it doesn’t really matter… the hustle will continue…

I see it as Shiv can't be a monster to Tom anymore but she can influence him and thus the company.

She won't have any power with either of her brothers involved, and their actions since becoming co-CEOs demonstrated that.

Her kid is also better off with Tom being CEO and a role model than her brothers. She also has more power this way, her brothers now have 0. 

23 minutes ago, ort said:

So seriously, what is the deal with them buying Peirce? Did I miss a line somewhere that explained something about how that wasn't a thing anymore, or are the still lined up to buy it?

I think they would still be on the hook for it, and it would be all their money from the Waystar Buyout. Which if Shiv owns 33.3% then that sorta gives Tom some influence over it. 

49 minutes ago, ort said:

So seriously, what is the deal with them buying Peirce? Did I miss a line somewhere that explained something about how that wasn't a thing anymore, or are the still lined up to buy it?

23 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I think they would still be on the hook for it, and it would be all their money from the Waystar Buyout. Which if Shiv owns 33.3% then that sorta gives Tom some influence over it. 

Yup - they're absolutely still committed to the Pierce acquisition.

31 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Yup - they're absolutely still committed to the Pierce acquisition.

Now they're gonna spend a ton of money on a sinking ship. The stupid thing is Ken is all sad but he set every step of this in motion from the very beginning since the first season. Tom was right when he told him he's watched him eat shit every time and won't follow him. 

I’ve continued watching, but more as background noise while I’m working. I’ve kinda figured out I enjoy basically every scene between Tom and Greg, and all of the scenes with the kids interacting with each other. I can take or leave most of the rest of these miserable people 😂

The Tom/Greg “deal with the devil” moment at the end of S3 was fantastic

I think that would have been too on the nose. I think we're supposed to think he's thinking about it.

Apparently in one take he did climb up on the rail in the last scene and Colin came and got him down.

I don't think he's going to kill himself. At the end of the day, he's too proud and concerned with his legacy. He'll find some new enterprise to pour all of his energy into and fail at.

• Halal 1

On 5/29/2023 at 11:07 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

Ok question... just got finished watching the episode a second time. What did Roman mean when he said 

Reveal hidden contents

That sound right?

On 5/29/2023 at 11:44 AM, ort said:

I believe they are adopted.

Hide contents

I think all of my predictions about the finale came true. Tom as the figure head king, and a somewhat open ended ending without everything wrapped up. It was a good ending but I was kind of expecting more of a twist  it was actually pretty safe. Still loved it, great show. As much as I love this show, I think 4 seasons was enough, it would have started to get silly if they kept it going.

My guess at Tom was based on King Leer, which the show is very roughly based on. If none of the kids were to get the throne, it had to be the outsider character and Tom makes the most sense. Greg was too goofy of a pick. There was also a fun Easter egg I read online somewhere that the only player in the history of baseball to pull off a triple play all by himself was a guy named Bill Womsganns.

My wife suggested that Ken is impotent. One kid is adopted (the girl) and the other is sperm donor. 

• Shocked 1

He's seen having sexual relationships with multiple women throughout the show... so maybe infertile but not impotant? Hard to say really, but they don't really spell it out if he is supposed to be impotant. They spent a lot of time on Romans bedroom issues, but zero time on Kendall.

Their one kid is clearly not white, and I guess the other one was from a donor or something? It's never really established. This show is kinda funny in that sometimes things that seem really important and get lots of screen time and go nowhere... and then there are other things end up being really important, but if you missed a single line from 2 episodes ago you may be completely lost. This show doesn't hold your hand or repeat itself. It moves very fast and a lot of what is happening you only notice if you read between the lines.

I've completely forgotten this, but apparently in the very first episode there are characters who are supposed to be Roman's wife and daughter, and the he treats the girl like she's his daughter and I think she is even referred to as his daughter...

But it could also be explained away later that she was just the kid of a woman he was in a relationship with... anyway, Roman is also wearing a wedding ring for like the entire first half of season one.

Sometimes shows change shit up.

2 hours ago, ort said:

He's seen having sexual relationships with multiple women throughout the show... so maybe infertile but not impotant? Hard to say really, but they don't really spell it out if he is supposed to be impotant. They spent a lot of time on Romans bedroom issues, but zero time on Kendall.

Their one kid is clearly not white, and I guess the other one was from a donor or something? It's never really established. This show is kinda funny in that sometimes things that seem really important and get lots of screen time and go nowhere... and then there are other things end up being really important, but if you missed a single line from 2 episodes ago you may be completely lost. This show doesn't hold your hand or repeat itself. It moves very fast and a lot of what is happening you only notice if you read between the lines.

Impotent means his sperm is no good not that he can't get it up.