Nvidia - Geforce Beyond (EVGA) Event

Mr.Vic20

20 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

In Cyberpunk the 4090 with DLSS 3 frame generation is 2.5x faster than a 3099 Ti using DLSS 2 performance mode.

In Spiderman the 4090 provides twice the performance using DLSS 3 frame generation compared to native resolution.

In Portal the 4090 gives 5.5x performance using DLSS 3 frame generation, DLSS 2 is 3.33x faster than native rendering.

cremita-lub.gif

Latency using DLSS 3 frame gen is similar to using DLSS 2. Worst case is it's still better than latency without using DLSS.

So this does mean the higher frame rate using frame generation does not give you the latency benefit if that frame rate was rendered without frame gen.

Good news about frame generation is the image quality is top notch and will make the game look smoother.

I’m really curious what that frame rate for Spider-man is, if it can hold 120 or not. They mention that it’s still cpu limited but not sure to what extent. 

It feels weird having a cpu bottleneck again in  pc gaming. Is this more of a programming issue (not taking advantage of the extra cores?) or just that there isn’t a cpu twice as powerful as the ps5 or whatever yet?

45 minutes ago, stepee said:

So how hard are we expecting this to be to get? I’m hoping the price and people being upset with the price pushing bad mindshare vibes makes this not TOO crazy. @Mr.Vic20 you just going for the FE on Nvidia.com?

Yeah, availability will be ugly and I'm going for an FE. I don't want to climb any higher with the wattage requirements. I full expect to be hunting for one of these for 2-3 months if I miss day one. 

• True 1

10 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m really curious what that frame rate for Spider-man is, if it can hold 120 or not. They mention that it’s still cpu limited but not sure to what extent. 

It feels weird having a cpu bottleneck again in  pc gaming. Is this more of a programming issue (not taking advantage of the extra cores?) or just that there isn’t a cpu twice as powerful as the ps5 or whatever yet?

Spider-Man with RT does need a lot of CPU and memory speed to play at a locked 120 fps. Check these RT charts and you'll see, no matter the resolution, anything that isn't a 12900k with high speed DDR5 is bottlenecked. So a 12900k with DDR4 all the way down to a four core CPUs show no performance difference from 1080p to 4k.

1080p-High-p.webp 2160p-High-p.webp

Spider-p.webp

And the new Ryzen CPUs don't quite match Intel in this game.  So if you want 120 fps in Spider-Man, you will need an Intel CPU with the fastest DDR5 RAM you can get.

12 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Spider-Man with RT does need a lot of CPU and memory speed to play at a locked 120 fps. Check these RT charts and you'll see, no matter the resolution, anything that isn't a 12900k with high speed DDR5 is bottlenecked. So a 12900k with DDR4 all the way down to a four core CPUs show no performance difference from 1080p to 4k.

And the new Ryzen CPUs don't quite match Intel in this game.  So if you want 120 fps in Spider-Man, you will need an Intel CPU with the fastest DDR5 RAM you can get.

Almost seems like the ram speed is the biggest thing here with that 40fps jump on the same cpu to finally hit 120ish. I guess that’s what is going to be needed down the line. Not going to upgrade to a ddr5 system for 120fps Spider-man but I guess in a year or two it might be needed if you want to move towards 120fps.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

@cusideabelincoln However! With Dlss3 generating a frame in between two frames, shouldn’t that technically relieve 1/3 of the bandwidth from cpu also?

People theorize that is why the FPS are so high in flight sim. That's something that would make me go Nvidia tbh. Might make the game more playable in VR. Though I'd wait to see what a 7950x3d can do.

• True 1

3 hours ago, stepee said:

@cusideabelincoln However! With Dlss3 generating a frame in between two frames, shouldn’t that technically relieve 1/3 of the bandwidth from cpu also?

In the Digital Foundry video I think he tries to say that when they show Spiderman DLSS 2 only slightly faster than native while DLSS 3 is twice as fast.

DLSS 3 is not exactly relieving CPU bandwidth compared to DLSS 2, as they both require the same CPU cycles. But in a hard CPU or memory bottleneck, DLSS 3 will double the effective frame rate because every other frame is AI generated entirely by the GPU. 

You can see that in the Spiderman charts and video. Pick any DDR 4 CPU to compare at 1080p and 4k the performance is only a few frames different. DLSS 2 renders the game at 1080p so that explains why the DF video shows little difference over native. But DLSS 3 is twice as fast since half the frames aren't constrained by the rest of the system.

2 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

In the Digital Foundry video I think he tries to say that when they show Spiderman DLSS 2 only slightly faster than native while DLSS 3 is twice as fast.

DLSS 3 is not exactly relieving CPU bandwidth compared to DLSS 2, as they both require the same CPU cycles. But in a hard CPU or memory bottleneck, DLSS 3 will double the effective frame rate because every other frame is AI generated entirely by the GPU. 

You can see that in the Spiderman charts and video. Pick any DDR 4 CPU to compare at 1080p and 4k the performance is only a few frames different. DLSS 2 renders the game at 1080p so that explains why the DF video shows little difference over native. But DLSS 3 is twice as fast since half the frames aren't constrained by the rest of the system.

Yeah, I caught that but it’s still hard to tell exactly what that will mean. That is the game I can’t wait to see some hard numbers behind! I see what you mean how it’s technically not reducing the strain, but effectively it kind of works the same as far as trying to achieve 120fps within the constraints of the cpu.

Just now, stepee said:

Yeah, I caught that but it’s still hard to tell exactly what that will mean. That is the game I can’t wait to see some hard numbers behind! I see what you mean how it’s technically not reducing the strain, but effectively it kind of works the same as far as trying to achieve 120fps within the constraints of the cpu.

I would put it as DLSS 3 is bypassing system bottlenecks. It's requiring the same system resources as running the game at a lower resolution, but will send twice the frames to your monitor.

28 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I would put it as DLSS 3 is bypassing system bottlenecks. It's requiring the same system resources as running the game at a lower resolution, but will send twice the frames to your monitor.

Yeah, that’s fair..though wouldn’t it also be technically reducing the cpu strain if you were say targeting 60fps and able to achieve that natively cpu wise, but you use dlss3 because a game is heavy gpu wise, so it would only have to use as much cpu power as needed to render 30fps or 40fps or whatever? Like the actual cpu usage would still be lowered to hit the same target for 60fps. 

29 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah, that’s fair..though wouldn’t it also be technically reducing the cpu strain if you were say targeting 60fps and able to achieve that natively cpu wise, but you use dlss3 because a game is heavy gpu wise, so it would only have to use as much cpu power as needed to render 30fps or 40fps or whatever? Like the actual cpu usage would still be lowered to hit the same target for 60fps. 

It could do that. Depends on how you're capping the frame rate. Afaik any modern CPU can push over 60 fps in all games besides sim type games so there's no need to reduce load.  I wonder how DLSS would handle a frame rate cap, which frames would it decide to keep and which to their away.

40 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

It could do that. Depends on how you're capping the frame rate. Afaik any modern CPU can push over 60 fps in all games besides sim type games so there's no need to reduce load.  I wonder how DLSS would handle a frame rate cap, which frames would it decide to keep and which to their away.

Definitely will be a super interesting release to read about once benchmarks are out. I want to see the most extreme examples of this too, even if it’s not perfect. Like when they did tests from 160p or whatever in Control.

That actually made me concerned with my case lol. But luckily it seems pretty spacious in there even though it’s not that big of a case (like regular desktop size not a big tower or anything), looking at its dimensions vs my 3080 ftw3 it doesn’t seem to be a problem.