Nvidia - Geforce Beyond (EVGA) Event

Mr.Vic20

56 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yea but at what dollar amount needs to be spent in order for your PC to be a ridiculous leap over PS5 and XSX?

A buttload until prices drop considerably, for a 40xx series card at least.  But the leap is so large now that it’s also hard to see a PS5 Pro or Series X+ hit the same way as last gen.  

Reconstruction was the secret console sauce midgen.  Now the consoles are way behind there too.

23 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

A buttload until prices drop considerably, for a 40xx series card at least.  But the leap is so large now that it’s also hard to see a PS5 Pro or Series X+ hit the same way as last gen.  

Reconstruction was the secret console sauce midgen.  Now the consoles are way behind there too.

Thanks for the explanation. Do you feel console games hinder and limit what badass PC's can actually do?

Just now, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yes. From a raw technical perspective, yes. 

That's unfortunate but at least some of you guys on here can run console games at ridiculous framerates and resolution. I may go back to PC gaming the next generation. I used to love modding etc on my PC back in the 360 era.

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, stepee said:

Yeah looking at the specs the 12gb model is really a 4080 Lite version, less cores and bandwidth and draws less power. The real deal then is a $500 price increase over the 3080. Damn. Or I guess you could be charitable and pretend the 16gb is the TI version but ehhh.

The more recent rumors, that ended up being spot on with these specs, said that the 4080 12gb was originally intended to be the 4070 and that it uses the next chip down the stack rather than a more cut down version of the 4090/4080 chip.

These prices have me much more ok with the 3080 12gb I bought a month and a half ago. I'll wait until next year and hopefully 40 series deals will be available. That or maybe RDNA3 will actually be amazing.

11 minutes ago, jaethos said:

The more recent rumors, that ended up being spot on with these specs, said that the 4080 12gb was originally intended to be the 4070 and that it uses the next chip down the stack rather than a more cut down version of the 4090/4080 chip.

These prices have me much more ok with the 3080 12gb I bought a month and a half ago. I'll wait until next year and hopefully 40 series deals will be available. That or maybe RDNA3 will actually be amazing.

Luckily I was already able to justify this in my head by figuring well I’ll get $500 for my 3080 ftw3 so its realllly only $700 like last time :P

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Thanks for the explanation. Do you feel console games hinder and limit what badass PC's can actually do?

With the 4000 series, when talking with dlss3 and ray tracing, you are looking at a gap vs ps5/xsx similar to ps5 vs ps4. Nvidia is basically now a generation apart in power. But that’s a 4080 or above we are talking about. It’s not what most pc gamers have, which is something closer to console spec.

But yeah if a game were designed around the 4080 as a minimum requirement, you would see something you won’t actually see for another 5 years or so.

The good news is this is only 2 years in and due to advances with AI we are seeing extreme gains that will continue over the next 5 years until the next gen. Picture what a huge processing gain there will be next gen. Unless AMD simply can’t catch up and console manufacturers stick with them still we are probably looking at much more than an 8x gain in processing power next gen.

The further good news is, you can always come back to pc land :D 

Shit is about to get live, I’m pretty hyped with the potential here. 

• Shocked 1
  • Halal 1

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Cross gen is holding everyone back, so in that sense of needing to support PS4 and such, absolutely.

Raytracing hasn’t really been pushed in a big way in AAA games other than Control and Cyperpunk (especially now, that new footage is super impressive).  It’s telling how much less impressive those games are on consoles.  Insomniac’s doing the good work in showing what can be achieved on the platforms.  But it’s still far from where the tech could be by now, even with 30xx series GPUs. This isn’t just a PC vs console  thing by the way, but also a general NVIDIA vs AMD thing, since the latter vendor’s GPUs push raw rasterization more than RT capability.  Then there was the chip shortage making RTX cards harder to come by…

In terms of upscaling, DLSS 2.0+ was already a notable step up from consoles’ temporal upscaling methods, both in quality and performance.  FSR 2.1 would have substantially lessened that gap, thankfully.  But with DLSS 3.0 now generating frames between frames, NVIDIA is leapfrogging everyone again.  There is always a possibility Pro versions of the consoles do something like it, and that’s honestly the way to go if they want to be seen as a value.  Either way, a 40xx series GPU can be expected to last you a long ass time.

And then there’s UE5.  It’s rough on the CPU.  There’s lingering questions of how the current gen consoles will run in AAA games like Witcher 4.  Gotta give the consoles credit for pushing the SSD further.  But even with that, there’s likely to be console limitations 40xx cards with DLSS 3.0 wouldn’t break a sweat over.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, stepee said:

With the 4000 series, when talking with dlss3 and ray tracing, you are looking at a gap vs ps5/xsx similar to ps5 vs ps4. Nvidia is basically now a generation apart in power. But that’s a 4080 or above we are talking about. It’s not what most pc gamers have, which is something closer to console spec.

But yeah if a game were designed around the 4080 as a minimum requirement, you would see something you won’t actually see for another 5 years or so.

The good news is this is only 2 years in and due to advances with AI we are seeing extreme gains that will continue over the next 5 years until the next gen. Picture what a huge processing gain there will be next gen. Unless AMD simply can’t catch up and console manufacturers stick with them still we are probably looking at much more than an 8x gain in processing power next gen.

The further good news is, you can always come back to pc land :D 

Shit is about to get live, I’m pretty hyped with the potential here. 

Omg! I had know idea that the gap is going to be that massive soon. I will definitely be joining the dark side next gen for sure. I am a graphics whore and by the time I get back into it it will be even more amazing.

I'm just going to need a lot of help from you guys on here. 

11 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Cross gen is holding everyone back, so in that sense of needing to support PS4 and such, absolutely.

Raytracing hasn’t really been pushed in a big way in AAA games other than Control and Cyperpunk (especially now, that new footage is super impressive).  It’s telling how much less impressive those games are on consoles.  Insomniac’s doing the good work in showing what can be achieved on the platforms.  But it’s still far from where the tech could be by now, even with 30xx series GPUs. This isn’t just a PC vs console  thing by the way, but also a general NVIDIA vs AMD thing, since the latter vendor’s GPUs push raw rasterization more than RT capability.  Then there was the chip shortage making RTX cards harder to come by…

In terms of traditional rendering, DLSS 2.0+ was already a notable step up from consoles’ temporal upscaling methods, both in quality and performance.  FSR 2.1 would have substantially lessened that gap, thankfully.  But with DLSS 3.0 now generating frames between frames, NVIDIA is leapfrogging everyone again.  There is always a possibility Pro versions of the consoles do something like it, and that’s honestly the way to go if they want to be seen as a value.  Either way, a 40xx series GPU can be expected to last you a long ass time.

And then there’s UE5.  It’s rough on the CPU.  There’s lingering questions of how the current gen consoles will run in AAA games like Witcher 4.  Gotta give the consoles credit for pushing the SSD further.  But even with that, there’s likely to be console limitations 40xx cards with DLSS 3.0 wouldn’t break a sweat over.

That was a lot to process but I get the basics. Thanks for that write up.

24 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

I miss those days. Though some people are complaining about it again due to the prices. I'd probably just switch to prebuilds if it ever got too expensive. 

The prices may be high, but so are the gains. these are silly expensive but also they perform like they are worth the money. It’s really more of a question of did we even need this line to be this powerful. I say yes, always. Soon you’ll be able to get a $400 gpu on ebay that’ll destroy the current gen systems, no reason to complain in a way since you can still get a lot of power for cheap.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

The prices may be high, but so are the gains. these are silly expensive but also they perform like they are worth the money. 

I’d just want to build something that will last me longer than any console generation should have a right to.  That’s worth the money for me to spend a few extra hundred dollars on a rig than a (mid gen) console.

Cards will still have to go down in price for me to bite.  But I’m pretty sure something from this line will be what I eventually ride with.  The promise of DLSS 3.0 sounds too good for longevity.

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

Omg! I had know idea that the gap is going to be that massive soon. I will definitely be joining the dark side next gen for sure. I am a graphics whore and by the time I get back into it it will be even more amazing.

Wasn't it just last week when I said you should get a PC and you shot me down? I guess I was just ahead of the curve. :p

DLSS 3.0 is very impressive. These prices are garbage. AMD won’t be much better. I’m hoping Intel can get their act together to give everyone another option. 

My guess is AMD will beat nvidia in rasterization performance per watt and surprise everyone, but they won’t have an answer to DLSS 3. They will probably have some PowerPoints for FSR 3 and it won’t be released for another 9 months or more and will only increase performance incrementally. I get the feeling fsr’s approach will hit a wall sooner than DLSS, but RDNA 3 is also the first competitively financed architecture AMD has released in a 10+ years. AMD shouldn’t be underestimated. So let’s see what they got.  

• Halal 1

22 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Oh, so DLSS 3 is adding frames to smooth the image along with the AI upscale? That's the impression the DF video gave me. (like interpolation/smoothing on TVs but... not shitty)

It's using AI upscaling to generate in-between frames.  It has to render one frame ahead to do that, which means Reflex tries to make up for the input lag.

I think that's on top of standard DLSS 2.2 stuff as well?