Breaking: Kansas constitutional amendment to restrict abortion rights appears to fail by a WIDE margin

I think there's a lot of accumulating evidence that the GOP has pretty badly overplayed its hand with the Roe decision and has kinda fucked up what was looking like an extremely good election environment for them. Still a lot of time for those fed rate hikes to make the economy worse than it is before November though!

• Halal 1

32 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

I think there's a lot of accumulating evidence that the GOP has pretty badly overplayed its hand with the Roe decision and has kinda fucked up what was looking like an extremely good election environment for them. Still a lot of time for those fed rate hikes to make the economy worse than it is before November though!

It's been clear for some time that the dog catching a car metaphor is apt.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

Turnout for the primary also soared above usual levels Tuesday, and in some counties was closer to the participation usually seen in a presidential election. The in-person early vote, which tends to favor Democrats, was also nearly 250 percent higher than the last primary midterm election in 2018, when both Democrats and Republicans had competitive governors’ races, while the number of mail-in ballots was more than double.

Republicans have to be looking at these numbers with dread. This is a huge loser for them. The question will be if voters turn out the same way for Democratic pro choice candidates as they did for this ballot question. 

In any case, this shows a path. Pro choice organizations need to run ballot initiatives everywhere they can. 

• Halal 2

Like I said in the Dobbs thread, pretty much the only consolation I could find in the wake of the decision is the polling numbers showing that not only do a majority of people believe in some form of reproductive rights, (even a lot of otherwise conservative women) but young people overwhelmingly do.  So while those rights might take a short-run hit in the wake of Dobbs, there's reason to believe they'll win out in the long run.

And now maybe more Democrats will stop pussy-footing around and start actually working to pass legislation to protect those rights, instead of endlessly prevaricating so they can keep using the issue as a fundraising device.

• Halal 1

excited eric andre GIF

Good on kansas. It was obvious the Kansas GOP was trying to sneak this through. It's great people finally had a shot to fire back and did so in large numbers. Hopefully this leads to democrats finding their balls for a change and realize it's a winning issue to take action instead of just paying lip service for fundraising.

• Halal 2

Just now, PaladinSolo said:

Dems just have to tie every republican to these abortion laws going up in GOP states, and just keep hitting them on it over and over till november.

But to do that they'd have to actually say the word abortion.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

“Go vote is Democratic ‘thoughts and prayers’”, many a big brained genius here said or insinuated :p  

Yeah, it's pretty hysterical.

But I do sympathize: many people who hear, "Don't boo -- vote," already vote and talk with people who vote, so they feel like they can't vote any harder than they do. I get the frustration on this at least.

• True 3

19 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Yeah, it's pretty hysterical.

But I do sympathize: many people who hear, "Don't boo -- vote," already vote and talk with people who vote, so they feel like they can't vote any harder than they do. I get the frustration on this at least.

I do appreciate the tired feelings of those who do the work of fighting for what they believe in. It is not easy.

Another thing to consider is this could be a multi-year turn out boom for Democrats if the issue proves durable. I am starting to think this could be a plausible outcome rather than voters forgetting about it in a few months.  Even if Democrats lose in many places this mid term, the level of engagement might be permanently increased because of Dobbs which could help them into 2024 and beyond.

Another interesting fact was at least one poll a week or so before the vote showed it split in the 40's with the yes votes having it slightly:

As things stand in the Co/efficient poll shared with FiveThirtyEight, 47% of the more than 1,500 voters sampled support the so-called “Value Them Both” amendment, and 43% are against it. The remaining 10% are undecided

The results showed that a lot of the undecideds broke no, but more importantly that the poll was unable to capture the turn out which could mean that other polls may be underestimating Democratic support around the country. Perhaps I'm stretching things a bit, but this vote provides the first good evidence of how voters really feel about abortion.

• Thanks 1