Nancy Goes To Taipei: China halts cooperation with the US on a range of issues

62e5163a4b455800188b7adc?width=1200&form
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

Hu Xijin, a commentator with the Chinese-state-owned Global Times, appeared to threaten House Speaker Nancy Pelosi in a tweet that has been blocked.

d35a590244b7be3abe2818b2f53f52c7
NEWS.YAHOO.COM

China has signaled that it may respond militarily if Pelosi goes ahead with her Taiwan visit.

SPAR19 appears to be the most likely aircraft carrying Pelosi to Taipei.  Its current position is off the east coast of the Philippines, proceeding on a northwest heading towards Taiwan which deliberately avoids the South China Sea.

Because everyone on the planet is tracking this flight, Flightradar24 is buckling under the load.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Nancy Goes To Taipei: USAF flight SPAR19 tracked off east coast of Philippines on NW heading towards Taiwan
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Nancy Goes To Taipei: USAF flight SPAR19 has entered Taiwan's Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ)
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Nancy Goes To Taipei: USAF flight SPAR19 has begun its descent into Taiwan
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Nancy Goes To Taipei: The Pelosi Has (Theoretically) Landed
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Nancy Goes To Taipei: The Pelosi Has Landed
1 hour ago, Chris- said:

I can’t wrap my head around Taiwan because from what I understand the majority of public opinion leans towards ‘do nothing and keep the status quo’, and that basically just means keeping the sword of Damocles swinging indefinitely. 

Could be like korea where the us has a clamp on pretty much a whole swathe of bilateral action. Also this 'see? china can do better' online bellowing reeks of ethnocentrism.

5 hours ago, Chris- said:

I can’t wrap my head around Taiwan because from what I understand the majority of public opinion leans towards ‘do nothing and keep the status quo’, and that basically just means keeping the sword of Damocles swinging indefinitely. 

As I understand it, part of it is that the status quo is not so bad--Taiwan considers itself an independent nation and the 'true' Republic of China, the PROC disagrees but doesn't act on its opinion militarily...yet.  Taiwan enjoys decent trade and diplomatic relations with the West and all the benefits thereof, too.  So because its people don't really have an interest in retaking the mainland, as long as the PROC does nothing but huff and puff via propaganda and performative sea-going military exercises, there's no harm no foul.

I think the sword of Damocles is always going to be there.

My fear is that the Chinese bureaucracy is, for the most part, actually a very rational, well-run, and pragmatic authoritarian bureaucracy...

...except when it comes to Taiwan.  Because it's basically just one big giant historical insult, and 'the one that got away', Chinese bureaucrats lose any semblance of rationality when it comes to Taiwan.  And when authoritarians get irrational, it rarely ends well.  (See: Mao Zedong and the Cultural Revolution)

• Thanks 2
  • Halal 2

Always a treat when jingoism enters the room. china did not make enemy of the west, get the the timeline right. speaking of sore losers, america had their chance, and lost fair and square to the prc. but gotta hold my head high because we bring freedom with our fire.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Stephen Colbert Popcorn GIF

It’s ok. Europeans are the junior partners, they know this now. And I can say this as a Greek resident. Half of that country is dependent on American capital and their entire continent is dependent on the American military.

im just assuming he’s demut who once argued with me about this very topic.