What are your favorite vampire movies?

I just watched Daybreakers yesterday. It's slightly janky, and I remember when I watched it in theaters being honestly kind of grossed out by it. But honestly, it combines the best aspects of both zombies and vampires in what is a not very subtle commentary on climate change. Sam Neill and Ethan Hawke are great in it.

Gotta see the original foreign version Let The Right One In It’s a slow burn of a movie but really well done. Again an underrated movie that I grew to like a lot Dark Shadows. I liked a good chunk of what @skillzdadirectamentioned. I haven’t seen Near Dark yet but will try and hunt it down. I’m hoping one day someone adapts Christopher Moore’s series of Vampire books into a movie/tv series. Highly suggest reading Bloodsucking Fiends, Bite Me!, You Suck! Cool take on the creature but with a ton of humour, some kinda fucked up humour but the good kind. Even cooler is that these books interact with other characters from other books he’s  written and kinda dubbed the San Francisco Series of books.

A lot of the ones already mentioned are great, just surprised no one has yet mentioned Neil Jordan's Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles. Jim Jarmusch's Only Lovers Left Alive is also very very good.

And yes, it is Interview with THE Vampire, not Interview with A Vampire.

Edit: And Emblazon does it at the same time I do. :p 

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

Only Lovers Left Alive - Tilda Swinton and Tom Hiddleston play a vampire couple reunited. Its a Jarmusch film so its off kilter and not a typical vampire film.

Shadow Of The Vampire - A meta horror take on the making of Nosferatu 

Lemora- 1973 vampire film about a 13 year old girl taken in by an older female vampire, it can be uncomfortable to watch

Valerie And Her Week Of Wonders- Surrealist film about a young girls first steps to adulthood and the Men and Women who want to take advantage of her.

Been meaning to find the time to watch Byzantine with Tom Hiddleston and Tilda Swinton. Then because I feel like an idiot forgetting WWDITS because I think TV series now. Then I remember the special console and Paul Reubens. I must of the done the same with Buffy The Vampire Slayer Sure different tone then the show mostly, but who could ever forget “Go away man. You’re Floating” 

19 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Considering all these fine choices for vampire films, I can only conclude that the media has a significant anti-werewolf bias as there really has only been one good werewolf movie, and it was essentially a comedy (I'm referring to An American Werewolf in London, not Teen Wolf).

You'd be wrong. The Howling, The Wolf of Snow Hollow, Werewolves Within, Cursed, Wolf Like Me (Peacock show that does not disappoint), Silver Bullet, Underworld, Late Phases, DOG SOLDIERS, and the most recently released horror video game. 

• Halal 1

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

A lot of the ones already mentioned are great, just surprised no one has yet mentioned Neil Jordan's Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles. Jim Jarmusch's Only Lovers Left Alive is also very very good.

And yes, it is Interview with THE Vampire, not Interview with A Vampire.

Edit: And Emblazon does it at the same time I do. :p 

Well fuck me. It's my second favorite book series, and I'm sure my brain knows the correct title, it just happened to fart when posting. I've read through Memnoch the Devil, and The Vampire Lestat is easily the best book in the series to that point (wish we'd have gotten a good film from that, instead of an Aaliyah music video. 

Interview, however, is probably the only movie I feel surpassed the book. Even Anne Rice, RIP, felt that way. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Emblazon said:

Well fuck me. It's my second favorite book series, and I'm sure my brain knows the correct title, it just happened to fart when posting. I've read through Memnoch the Devil, and The Vampire Lestat is easily the best book in the series to that point (wish we'd have gotten a good film from that, instead of an Aaliyah music video. 

Interview, however, is probably the only movie I feel surpassed the book. Even Anne Rice, RIP, felt that way. 

You ever read The Vampire Lestat graphic novel? Came out in the early 90's. I never read it and have no idea how it was recieved but I know it existed. 

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You ever read The Vampire Lestat graphic novel? Came out in the early 90's. I never read it and have no idea how it was recieved but I know it existed. 

There's like 8 books in the series. The Vampire Lestat is probably my second favorite novel of all time after The MEG. 

Definitely going to check out the graphic novel. 

18 hours ago, Emblazon said:

Yeah the books are great! Fun fact: Anne Rice adapted her own book for Interview with the Vampire, solely writing the screenplay - which probably helped make it so good. And yeah I was sad they skipped the second book and the adaptation of the third book Queen of the Damned was . . . bad (though it did take plot points and such from the second book too).

They are rebooting the novels into a TV series, Anne Rice was part of its development until she passed, hope that turns out well at least. First season is 8 episodes and will be adapting the first book, first season should drop later this year.

21 hours ago, silentbob said:

Been meaning to find the time to watch Byzantine with Tom Hiddleston and Tilda Swinton.

I think you're mixing up a few movies just a heads up. Byzantium (not Byzantine) is a 2012 vampire movie starring Gemma Arterton and Saoirse Ronan, directed by Neil Jordan (yes, the same Neil Jordan who directed Interview with the Vampire from 1994). Only Lovers Left Alive is the vampire moving starring Tom Hiddleston and Tilda Swinton and is directed by Jim Jarmusch and it is from 2013 and it is excellent. Hope that helps some.

And director Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula from 1992 is also pretty great, properly weird film that decently adapts the original book, as others have mentioned (this is the one starring Gary Oldman as Dracula).

• Halal 1

20 hours ago, Emblazon said:

You'd be wrong. The Howling, The Wolf of Snow Hollow, Werewolves Within, Cursed, Wolf Like Me (Peacock show that does not disappoint), Silver Bullet, Underworld, Late Phases, DOG SOLDIERS, and the most recently released horror video game. 

I'd also add Ginger Snaps to that list. I need to watch The Company of Wolves again.

• Like 1

Right off the top of my head I can think of:

The Lost Boys

From Dusk til Dawn

Near Dark

Nosferatu (1922)

Univeral's Dracula w/ Bela Lugosi

Salem's Lot

John Carpenter's Vampires

What We Do in the Shadows

Yeah, needless to say, even if the aforementioned was all that existed, it would still be a solid sub-genre but there is SO MUCH MORE! Definitely one of my all time favorite creatures/monsters of lore of all time!

On 6/19/2022 at 9:42 PM, Emblazon said:

There are a large number of great Vampire movies...

... but Interview with a Vampire stands head and shoulders above them all. 

Lord yes. For me, it hits all the tropes of vampirism perfectly. 

On 6/20/2022 at 3:29 AM, Emblazon said:

I might be misremembering, but I’m pretty sure The Howling was the first time I saw a fully naked woman ever after turning on my TV when I woke up at night, and it was in.

17 hours ago, Bitgod said:

Did anyone else like Hemlock Grove on Netflix?  I liked it.

Never finished it. The Order on Netflix has some good werewolf effects. I'm definitely more team bipeds. It's rare that I like quadrupeds, but there are exceptions, such as London, Wolf Like Me (seriously, everyone watch that now--Isla Fischer & Josh Gad, and the finale does NOT disappoint), and Being Human. 

Being Human (US) also has Starkiller as a vampire, which makes it a must watch. 

Of course, you also have Buffy and Angel.