Netflix seems to be pouring all the money it doesn't have into its live action One Piece adaptation...

I don't know the anime or manga, but Alita: Battle Angel is a decent adaptation that also shows why it's so hard to adapt some of this stuff. That film needed so much time and money and people still weren't happy with the visual results.

I haven't see One Piece, but the trailer didn't grab me. It didn't look terrible, but it gave me an inescapable feeling of incongruity that I often feel when watching a live action adaptation of something animated.

7 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I don't know the anime or manga, but Alita: Battle Angel is a decent adaptation that also shows why it's so hard to adapt some of this stuff. That film needed so much time and money and people still weren't happy with the visual results.

I thought the visuals were fine, I thought it was a bad adaptation. :p

• Halal 1

44 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah, I didn't think it was a good adaptation of the original manga either. It seemed to be a movie at war with itself - Alita is hyperviolent and is part of the point thematically. The film, like a lot of live-action adaptations of anime and manga, has a "feel" of a fan project with cosplay as @Spawn_of_Apathy was talking about with this trailer (I thought the trailer looked pretty solid given expectations). So it looked and felt like Alita, but PG-13'ified so it was all sanitary and kind of basic. But in spirit and feel and tone it's not Alita. It's like it wanted to be Alita but because it was PG-13 it comes off as a shell or shadow of an adaptation. And I genuinely enjoyed the movie! It was nothing mind-blowing but it's a unique universe and a fun watch. But it's not Alita.

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah, I didn't think it was a good adaptation of the original manga either. It seemed to be a movie at war with itself - Alita is hyperviolent and is part of the point thematically.

Here's my world class review of it please like and subscribe

https://letterboxd.com/bludgeoner86/film/alita-battle-angel/

• Hugs 1

13 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

My bad. I suppose I should have said that I thought it was an adaptation that I liked and did a good job of taking the feel of anime and putting it into live action. I don't know the anime or the manga, so I can't comment on how good of an adaptation it actually was.

• Halal 1

11 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

My bad. I suppose I should have said that I thought it was an adaptation that I liked and did a good job of taking the feel of anime and putting it into live action. I don't know the anime or the manga, so I can't comment on how good of an adaptation it actually was.

Yeah, I would agree with this then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey, let's talk about them snails...

one-piece-transponder-snails-reaction-16
WWW.IGN.COM

Netflix has unveiled a first look at the live-action Den Den Mushi (aka the Transponder Snails) from its upcoming One Piece adaptation, and people are...

I don't care if they're creepy; I love them.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Hey, let's talk about them snails...

one-piece-transponder-snails-reaction-16
WWW.IGN.COM

Netflix has unveiled a first look at the live-action Den Den Mushi (aka the Transponder Snails) from its upcoming One Piece adaptation, and people are...

I don't care if they're creepy; I love them.

At least they're in the show, I'll take the win as well. 

3 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

4 episodes in and Netflix did the impossible. Make Syrup Village actually entertaining.

I thought maybe my memory was just bad, but nope. Reread the arc and it's as bad as I remember it being. Come at me One Piece fans. You know I'm not wrong.

I don't even think One Piece got good when I was originally reading the manga and watching the anime until the Sanji/Baratie arc. Everything before that was either mostly random or super immature/childish (for the most part). Koby and Usopp and Buggy and the like aren't really representative of the better aspects of One Piece but rather the more annoying aspects so I wasn't digging it initially. It was the weird ass world and world building that kept me in and then once the Sanji arc was in full swing it all clicked for me. So I agree with you, definitely can improve the early parts of One Piece. I just started the first episode and it's not bad! It always feels and looks super weird to see real people behave somewhat like anime characters since anime characters often by design over-emote to make up for the fact it isn't live-action so that's always something I have to adjust to but the Kenshin movies did it and this seems to be doing it and it worked in the Kenshin movies. I just restarted the One Piece anime from where I'd left off a few years ago (Fish-Man Island arc, currently on episode 543) so watching this every now and then as I watch the anime has been interesting.

46 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I don't even think One Piece got good when I was originally reading the manga and watching the anime until the Sanji/Baratie arc. Everything before that was either mostly random or super immature/childish (for the most part).

It took my s long time to get through the first few arcs and start the manga. I never actually managed to make it deeper into the series until a decade or less ago. This is why I like the first four episodes so much. Episode 5 and on are Sanji/Baratie, so maybe it falls off once it gets to better story. However, the first few episodes were changed for the better. Buggy is absolutely scary. Kuro is actually intimidating. Sometimes Oda goes a little crazy with the introduction of side characters we don't really need to know.

For Syrup, they cut...

Spoiler

Usopp's crew, all but two of the Black Cat pirates, and all the named villagers minus Merry. That means none of the Usopp Pirates fights or any of those scenes with what's his face hypnotizing Luffy are anywhere to be seen. They also minimized travel by having the entire battle take place within Kaya's mansion, so no silly scenes with Zoro stuck at the bottom of an oily hill.

Just better pacing all around.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

It took my s long time to get through the first few arcs and start the manga. I never actually managed to make it deeper into the series until a decade or less ago. This is why I like the first four episodes so much. Episode 5 and on are Sanji/Baratie, so maybe it falls off once it gets to better story. However, the first few episodes were changed for the better. Buggy is absolutely scary. Kuro is actually intimidating. Sometimes Oda goes a little crazy with the introduction of side characters we don't really need to know.

For Syrup, they cut...

Hide contents

Usopp's crew, all but two of the Black Cat pirates, and all the named villagers minus Merry. That means none of the Usopp Pirates fights or any of those scenes with what's his face hypnotizing Luffy are anywhere to be seen. They also minimized travel by having the entire battle take place within Kaya's mansion, so no silly scenes with Zoro stuck at the bottom of an oily hill.

Just better pacing all around.

All of those cuts sound like improvements - I'm further into episode 1 and it's solid, they found the right tone which is incredibly important. Cutting significantly down on the anime slapstick comedy and unnecessary amount of side characters makes a lot of sense as that would work terribly in live-action (often doesn't work even in One Piece anime). I'll definitely try to stick with it.

• Like 1

It's been a while since I binged a Netflix series like this. I, really enjoyed that. I'm with @Greatoneshere. There's a lot of early One Piece I never really enjoyed. It's like one of those things were you tell someone getting into the manga they've got to give it a hundred or so chapters before it really clicks and gets good. Like, the first two years of One Piece were rough and uneven before Oda really got into the groove. This cut a lot of the chaff and gave us a streamlined retelling of the story. I liked the changes all the way through the end. Are there a bunch of characters missing? Yes. Does One Pieces have to many characters? Also, yes. Do I care that a character that shows up in one arc and is never seen again, save for a few random cameos a thousand chapters later, is now missing? No. Like, who cares that Jango is missing? He has zero impact on the story. Were it not for me rereading a bunch of the manga along with the live action, I'm not sure I would have remembered his name. Either way, I would call this a success. One Piece shouldn't have been possible and somehow it was. Just leave preconceived notions of what side stories or characters are important to the side and remember that Oda approved all the changes here. More anime adaptations should work with the original creators to get their input like this.

@Bacon, I say you should give it a shot. It's a lot of fun. It's not perfect, but neither is the source material. The spirit of One Piece is alive and well and even if there are changes here and there, it still arrives at the same destination.

The biggest change is the added b story with Koby and Helmeppo. Most all of it is new and I like it. One thing that's hard to do with a time limited adaptation like this is keep viewers interested in a side character. Hatchan isn't here and he shows up a lot in future stories. However, I'd say he's quite unimportant to a lot of them. Koby and Garp, on the other hand, don't have a lot of screen time at this point in the manga, but are important later on. Dropping Hatchan and giving Koby and Garp more screen time, I think, is a perfect trade.

The Live Action ends with the Straw Hats on their way to Loguetown. I actually think that's a perfect place to pause things since...if this gets a second season...

Spoiler

That would mean the second season would start with the return of Buggy and the appearance of Smoker. Starting a potential second season there sounds more interesting than starting at Reverse Mountain and Laboon. The only real issue there is that the following season would probably need to be around 10 or so episodes to get Loguetown and all of Arabasta. I imagine the best place to end season two would be with that ship falling out of the sky.

• Hype 1