Netflix seems to be pouring all the money it doesn't have into its live action One Piece adaptation...

7 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I assume some of this is due to season 1's budget, so I can forgive this.

I think a lot of the changes made to the story weren't just budget-necessary, but also logistical. You need more Garp and Koby because they allow Netflix to reuse some sets but ALSO because it allows them to retain those actors. It's easy for Oda to toss a character aside and bring them back a thousand chapters later, but few actors would be willing to sign up for doing one episode now and ten episodes five years from now.

But the same token, I'm sure a lot of the action sequences were trimmed for the same reason.

That said, shying away from more expensive CG for practical effects is ingenious for One Piece. Current word is they're planning to go practical with Chopper and I'm all for it. Fucking, give us a muppet and let Jamie Lee Curtis keep it after she's done with season 2.

• Hype 1

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Also, I went to the Dentist today and told him to watch this, only because I was talking about shark teeth. :p

Shark teeth are never not cool. A week ago I gave my son $50 to spend at his school book fair and he spent it all on fake shark teeth and a Minecraft comic.

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

42 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

But we agree on the score, maybe my opinion isn't so horrible after all. :thinking:

When did you think your opinion is horrible? You're fine. :p 

39 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

That said, shying away from more expensive CG for practical effects is ingenious for One Piece. Current word is they're planning to go practical with Chopper and I'm all for it. Fucking, give us a muppet and let Jamie Lee Curtis keep it after she's done with season 2.

Yeah, I actually liked the expanded/added Koby/Helmeppo/Garp story since it's something that happens in the manga/anime anyway, but off-screen, so when they do show up much later, it'll make even more sense, plus it gives us insight into the good side of the Marines, which is super important for the rest of the show to understand that. And yes please I hope they stay practical and do as much practical as possible, it helped the fight scenes and the production and make up effects so much better than usual. Leave the CG for cutting ships in half and throwing canonballs where it makes sense while continuing to integrate even that stuff with practical effects as much as possible (which it seems they are doing). 

• Thanks 1

I finished it a few days ago and generally liked it. I have no knowledge of the source material other than that it is obscenely long.

My question is how dumb/naive is Luffy supposed to be? Best case he comes of with a childlike naivety other times I found myself wondering if the character was genuinely mentally handicapped 

26 minutes ago, elbobo said:

My question is how dumb/naive is Luffy supposed to be? Best case he comes of with a childlike naivety other times I found myself wondering if the character was genuinely mentally handicapped 

Amazingly, this Luffy is actually less dumb/naive than manga or anime Luffy at this point in time. Everyone in the live action series has their worst personality traits tempered a bit. All for the better. Sanji would be unbearable if he remained true to the source material.

46 minutes ago, elbobo said:

14 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Amazingly, this Luffy is actually less dumb/naive than manga or anime Luffy at this point in time. Everyone in the live action series has their worst personality traits tempered a bit. All for the better. Sanji would be unbearable if he remained true to the source material.

I'm not sure it's as clear cut as Luffy is dumb/naive. This isn't a Goku or Ichigo situation (as much as I love DBZ and moreso Bleach). He definitely comes off that way, and I frequently get annoyed/irritated when his "plow through everything headfirst" mentality creates more trouble than is needed in many story arcs, but after watching 600 episodes of the anime I don't think Luffy is dumb/naive any more than Jack Sparrow doesn't know what he's doing but he always succeeds in Pirates of the Caribbean or how Vash the Stampede from Trigun comes off like a doofus but "somehow" always comes out on top. I think Luffy knows what he's doing but plays dumb to allow others around him to show their own true colors/personalities (if they are truly evil, just misunderstood, just misguided, or truly good) and he responds in kind. He is a true pirate - he doesn't give one flying fuck about the rules (hence plowing through everything) and believes in his moral compass enough (and in his friends, and his friends in him) to feel he'll end up doing the right thing (which he frequently does and which is why others are attracted to his personality). That doesn't mean Luffy is perfect or infallible, he makes a lot of his own mistakes and grows as the show goes on, but what I also originally thought was truly irritating dumb/naive behavior is actually aloofness. It's a mask, a persona he puts on to get to the truth of people faster. No one can be as powerful and as skilled as Luffy is (and becomes) without being smart, it's a put on, I think. In the same way Shanks underplays his intelligence and incredible abilities behind a "I'm a lazy beta" act, Luffy does the same with his "I don't listen or know what's going on" act. Shanks is an adult so he's smoother and better at it, but both are hiding other sides of themselves from others that require intelligence.

As for Sanji, he's much more tolerable than Usopp is in the anime. I get that his LGBT panic and his uncomfortable levels of simping for women are cringey but when he's not doing those things and instead cooking or fighting or interacting normally with the rest of the cast, Sanji is great. The live-action show did a good job of translating Sanji's love of women well by tamping it down and making it funny instead of weird/gross. One thing that helps the anime and live-action show in this regard, which I liked about the live-action version playing up, is that every woman always turns Sanji down, so making him the butt of the joke every time helps a lot in both the anime and Netflix show I think. And Sanji doesn't care, it's not like he's ever insulted or anything, he loves simping regardless of success or not. :p 

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm not sure it's as clear cut as Luffy is dumb/naive. This isn't a Goku or Ichigo situation (as much as I love DBZ and moreso Bleach). He definitely comes off that way, and I frequently get annoyed/irritated when his "plow through everything headfirst" mentality creates more trouble than is needed in many story arcs, but after watching 600 episodes of the anime I don't think Luffy is dumb/naive any more than Jack Sparrow doesn't know what he's doing but he always succeeds in Pirates of the Caribbean or how Vash the Stampede from Trigun comes off like a doofus but "somehow" always comes out on top. I think Luffy knows what he's doing but plays dumb to allow others around him to show their own true colors/personalities (if they are truly evil, just misunderstood, just misguided, or truly good) and he responds in kind. He is a true pirate - he doesn't give one flying fuck about the rules (hence plowing through everything) and believes in his moral compass enough (and in his friends, and his friends in him) to feel he'll end up doing the right thing (which he frequently does and which is why others are attracted to his personality). That doesn't mean Luffy is perfect or infallible, he makes a lot of his own mistakes and grows as the show goes on, but what I also originally thought was truly irritating dumb/naive behavior is actually aloofness. It's a mask, a persona he puts on to get to the truth of people faster. No one can be as powerful and as skilled as Luffy is (and becomes) without being smart, it's a put on, I think. In the same way Shanks underplays his intelligence and incredible abilities behind a "I'm a lazy beta" act, Luffy does the same with his "I don't listen or know what's going on" act. Shanks is an adult so he's smoother and better at it, but both are hiding other sides of themselves from others that require intelligence.

As for Sanji, he's much more tolerable than Usopp is in the anime. I get that his LGBT panic and his uncomfortable levels of simping for women are cringey but when he's not doing those things and instead cooking or fighting or interacting normally with the rest of the cast, Sanji is great. The live-action show did a good job of translating Sanji's love of women well by tamping it down and making it funny instead of weird/gross. One thing that helps the anime and live-action show in this regard, which I liked about the live-action version playing up, is that every woman always turns Sanji down, so making him the butt of the joke every time helps a lot in both the anime and Netflix show I think.

Luffy isn't naive, even if he plays it up. He is dumb, but more dumb in an endearing way and also more than willing to cede the brain power over to his smarter crewmates. However, the time the live action series covers, that's not at all clear until I'd say around Arlong Park. I do appreciate the live action not making him come across as aloof as he does in the source material.

Yeah, Usopp can be very annoying. I guess I've gotten used to him over the years. He's also mellowed out quite a bit while Sanji hasn't really gotten any better. I thought he'd be better after Whole Cake Island, but nope.

• True 1

9 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Luffy isn't naive, even if he plays it up. He is dumb, but more dumb in an endearing way and also more than willing to cede the brain power over to his smarter crewmates. However, the time the live action series covers, that's not at all clear until I'd say around Arlong Park. I do appreciate the live action not making him come across as aloof as he does in the source material.

Yeah, Usopp can be very annoying. I guess I've gotten used to him over the years. He's also mellowed out quite a bit while Sanji hasn't really gotten any better. I thought he'd be better after Whole Cake Island, but nope.

Yeah, I'd agree with that - he is more dumb and not really naive, and it's in an endearing way than in a flawed way. And as you said, he's comfortable ceding the brain power over to his smarter crewmates, who he knows are smart, hence his trust in his friends when they are in situations where he doesn't really want to apply brain power to understand. I do think he doesn't come off as aloof in the anime early on, but I could be misremembering. He's definitely always been aloof though, moreso as the show's gone on of course.

And yeah, since SogeKing Usopp has been pretty good, especially from the Fish-Men Island arc onward, I actually mostly like him now. But before that, goodness gracious his cowardice hindering the crew constantly was sometimes full-on irritating, whereas Sanji is incredibly competent in combat. But yeah, the LGBT+ panic and ridiculous levels of simping are tiresome (as is Brooks' constant asking to see womens' underwear - the way he says it in Japanese is very funny, but c'mon guys). To be fair, the manga and anime is weirdly hypersexual with its women for a show that straddles the line between kids show and a show where underage characters are drinking, smoking, partying and fighting each other and I get since it's an island/water setting that women will be more scantily clad but the proportions are lol worthy. I get its intended target demographic is teenage boys but it's always a bit of weird tonal whiplash, though I'm used to it now.

• Halal 1

I really enjoyed the Netflix adaptation, which is not something I expected at all. I went back and watched some of the anime that covers season 1, and I'm even more impressed by the Netflix show. I think it does a really great job of distilling the show into something with the same flavor, but without so much filling. There were a bunch of things that I assumed had been adapted straight from the anime that turned out to have been invented for the live action. A good example is how the crew gets their ship. Having the sick girl own the shipyard is a small thing, but it streamlines the whole arc for the better. It's a great case study for someone revisiting their own work and having it come out all the better.

I'm not so sure I'll keep watching any of the anime, though I might give that One Pace thing a go. I'll definitely check out however much of the the Netflix show they end up making.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

26 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah, I'd agree with that - he is more dumb and not really naive, and it's in an endearing way than in a flawed way. And as you said, he's comfortable ceding the brain power over to his smarter crewmates, who he knows are smart, hence his trust in his friends when they are in situations where he doesn't really want to apply brain power to understand. I do think he doesn't come off as aloof in the anime early on, but I could be misremembering. He's definitely always been aloof though, moreso as the show's gone on of course.

And yeah, since SogeKing Usopp has been pretty good, especially from the Fish-Men Island arc onward, I actually mostly like him now. But before that, goodness gracious his cowardice hindering the crew constantly was sometimes full-on irritating, whereas Sanji is incredibly competent in combat. But yeah, the LGBT+ panic and ridiculous levels of simping are tiresome (as is Brooks' constant asking to see womens' underwear - the way he says it in Japanese is very funny, but c'mon guys). To be fair, the manga and anime is weirdly hypersexual with its women for a show that straddles the line between kids show and a show where underage characters are drinking, smoking, partying and fighting each other and I get since it's an island/water setting that women will be more scantily clad but the proportions are lol worthy. I get its intended target demographic is teenage boys but it's always a bit of weird tonal whiplash, though I'm used to it now.

Weirdly, I'm ok with Brook. His is a repeating joke and I never get the feeling his attitude toward women ever gets in the way of his ability to function as a person. Like he throws out a panty joke and moves on. Sanji would be less annoying to me if he were more along the lines of like Brock for the Pokemon anime and that's kind of the direction the live action took him. He, absolutely, sometimes comes across as though he can't function near women. That's what I liked so much about WCI and then it was all lost in Wano again.

• True 1

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

Weirdly, I'm ok with Brook. His is a repeating joke and I never get the feeling his attitude toward women ever gets in the way of his ability to function as a person. Like he throws out a panty joke and moves on. Sanji would be less annoying to me if he were more along the lines of like Brock for the Pokemon anime and that's kind of the direction the live action took him. He, absolutely, sometimes comes across as though he can't function near women. That's what I liked so much about WCI and then it was all lost in Wano again.

Yeah, since I only just finished Fish-Men Island arc (so currently on episode 579), I haven't reached Whole Cake Island or Wano yet, but Sanji's behavior is getting worse. Before it was a distraction but it didn't actually affect his ability to function (mostly). But now, with the Mermaids, he was "losing so much blood" that he was either dying and Chopper needed to save him or he was so smitten he turns to stone and is out for episodes. This is new for me so the anime didn't always do it to this degree but I definitely agree with you that if it continues to this degree it's bad.

• 2 months later...

In the anime I never got the feeling Luffy was dumb or naive. He could be dumb at times, sure, but I always saw it as just extremely care free. He’s unburdened by social, political, or economical norms. He’s chaotic good. 

the show does reign everyone in a bit. Though I did love the reference/showing that Zoro has a PHENOMENALLY bad sense of direction and gets lost all the time. The revulsion to Sanji seems like a strong reaction considering how tame his flirtatious and obsessive nature is in the live action show. At times I couldn’t help but wonder if the actor was playing Sanji more sincere. 

There are some moments where they are trying to be shot for shot what was in the anime or replicating manga panels that to me don’t really feel as natural and a little out of place.

I have a friend that only ever watched one episode of the anime years ago. So I’ve asked him to watch this show just to see how he thinks of it. Maybe it’s only weird to me, because I’ve already seen it animated. 

I’d watch a season 2 it was still a fun show to me. 

• Hype 1