Another mass killing, this time at a medical center.

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

And if there is a shooting do teachers have a duty to act? (Unlike police)

I don't know about having to act, but they already can't legally abandon students in order to keep their own lives safe. Police can totally drop your ass and seek shelter, alone, though.

• Guillotine 1

30 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Right, but in the EU you have to find an employer that's willing to go to bat for you. They have to provide reasons for why they're hiring you instead of a European. Which means you either have to know someone who's willing to do you a favor or have a skill they can't get locally, otherwise they won't bother with the hassle

Marry a European like me. Easy

• True 1

50 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Right, but in the EU you have to find an employer that's willing to go to bat for you. They have to provide reasons for why they're hiring you instead of a European. Which means you either have to know someone who's willing to do you a favor or have a skill they can't get locally, otherwise they won't bother with the hassle

I've worked in immigration law in the past (and am actually going back there later this month) and it's the same thing in the US. It's not as hard as you think to make an argument that X person fills Y need that employer Z is struggling to find locally. At least in the US it's easy to do, not sure how more stringent this process is abroad. 

1900.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

The man who opened fire at a Tulsa medical office had purchased an AR-style rifle hours before fatally shooting four people, authorities said Thursday. Tulsa Police Chief Wendell Franklin says the...

A man who blamed his surgeon for ongoing pain after a recent back surgery bought an AR-style rifle hours before opening fire at a Tulsa medical office, killing the surgeon and three other people before fatally shooting himself, police said Thursday.

Tulsa Police Chief Wendell Franklin says the gunman had recently undergone back surgery and had called a clinic repeatedly complaining of pain.

Franklin says the doctor who performed the surgery, Dr. Preston Phillips, was among those killed Wednesday.

“We also have a letter on the suspect, which made it clear that he came in with the intent to kill Dr. Phillips and anyone who got in his way,” Franklin said. “He blamed Dr. Phillips for the ongoing pain following the surgery.”

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
1900.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

The man who opened fire at a Tulsa medical office had purchased an AR-style rifle hours before fatally shooting four people, authorities said Thursday. Tulsa Police Chief Wendell Franklin says the...

Some guy ran over me and gave me pain for the rest of my life and I can’t even seem to get angry at him personally. People really have different ways of internalizing things.

• True 1

27 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
1900.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

Bought an assault weapon hours before the attack. Jesus 

• Sad 1
  • True 1

1 hour ago, Comet said:

I've worked in immigration law in the past (and am actually going back there later this month) and it's the same thing in the US. It's not as hard as you think to make an argument that X person fills Y need that employer Z is struggling to find locally. At least in the US it's easy to do, not sure how more stringent this process is abroad. 

It does depend on the country in question. A country like Spain, for example, that has like a 20% unemployment rate or whatever is going to be much more strict on the reasons why a business needs *you* specifically rather than someone else.

• True 1

Pain from recent back surgery? I’ve never had any type of surgery outside of getting my wisdom teeth removed but I’d assume that pain doesn’t automatically go away, it’s probably a gradual thing that eventually goes away as long as you take care of it.

I mean, his back couldn’t have been hurting that bad if he was able to go and buy an assault rifle to carry around. 

• True 1

19 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Pain from recent back surgery? I’ve never had any type of surgery outside of getting my wisdom teeth removed but I’d assume that pain doesn’t automatically go away, it’s probably a gradual thing that eventually goes away as long as you take care of it.

I mean, his back couldn’t have been hurting that bad if he was able to go and buy an assault rifle to carry around. 

Not justifying this at all but my stepfather has chronic back pain and it indeed excrutiating. It can affect your whole quality of life and my stepfather's back pain is so bad that surgery would probably make it worse. Again, I'm in no way trying to justify this dude's actions and there were clearly some other issues going on with this dude... there are photos floating around of the shooter and he looks bat shit insane in them. But chronic back pain is no joke. 

• True 1

54 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Not justifying this at all but my stepfather has chronic back pain and it indeed excrutiating. It can affect your whole quality of life and my stepfather's back pain is so bad that surgery would probably make it worse. Again, I'm in no way trying to justify this dude's actions and there were clearly some other issues going on with this dude... there are photos floating around of the shooter and he looks bat shit insane in them. But chronic back pain is no joke. 

Chronic pain is mentally exhausting. Like you said, no excuse for murdering people, but I do understand from many close family members what a mentally destructive force it can be. If the guy was rightly or wrongly got it in his head that this surgeon was to blame, he probably was not in a remotely rational state. The pic you describe doesn’t surprise me at all.

Which is why we can’t have people just waltz into the local Dick’s Sporting goods and getting some military grade firepower! There are so many situations people can find themselves in where they are angry or distraught enough to kill. I’ll take my chances with blades and blunt objects over guns in the situations.

26 minutes ago, stepee said:

yeah I do have to say chronic pain sucks dickkkkkkkkkk but ya don’t murder people just get high and play video games 

With my long hauler Covid, wrist still acts up after surgery 2+ years later, broken foot/ankle still swells 25yrs later, and whatever this stomach/back pain issue I have going on. Which I have appointments for X-rays, ultrasound and tub into my stomach. Still I’m not thinking murder is the solution to ease my pain or for loss of income. My weed is great for that comfort, but again, whatever I have right now. It doesn’t allow my weed to work the way I know it should on me. Dropped another 11lbs in 3 weeks because I can’t eat.

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm trying to convince my stepfather to try marijuna to manage the pain. He's resisistant of course because he's old.

Trying to get my Dad to smoke weed to relax some more and he actually wants to but his girlfriend (of 25 years) says she will break up with him if he does. I tell him, well you’ve been trying to break up for 24 of those years so just get really high before she comes over and see what happens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm trying to convince my stepfather to try marijuna to manage the pain. He's resisistant of course because he's old.

Told the same thing to my dad, even gave him some weed gummies to try. I thought a D.A.R.E. commercial was about to be filmed in the room by the way he reacted 😂

One thing to note about using cannabis to treat pain is that it doesn't necessarily work in the way many expect. My wife experiences bad neuropathic pain sometimes, and she says that cannabis (in her case edible THC pills) doesn't dull the pain at all, but it lets her fall asleep because it makes her brain "ignore" the pain, as she describes it. She still feels it fully, but she cares less about it due to the change in mental state. She only uses them before sleep because she doesn't like feeling high for this reason.

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

One thing to note about using cannabis to treat pain is that it doesn't necessarily work in the way many expect. My wife experiences bad neuropathic pain sometimes, and she says that cannabis (in her case edible THC pills) doesn't dull the pain at all, but it lets her fall asleep because it makes her brain "ignore" the pain, as she describes it. She still feels it fully, but she cares less about it due to the change in mental state. She only uses them before sleep because she doesn't like feeling high for this reason.

This sounds about accurate for me. I’m not sure if thc even does actually dull the pain for anyone? Maybe it can for some things, definitely not for me. It’s more to get my mind off of the pain so I can enjoy something else and not think about the pain. 

Now I started taking cbd recently and I feel like it might help dull it a little ever so much? Im not sure, but it’s a small effect if not a placebo. It does help me sleep though even more than regular weed.

Its really hard to tell for me what works and what doesn’t because it’s several different types of pain for reasons but all around the same area. I usually just notice whatever is loudest at the moment so it may help for one part but not the other etc.

Edit: And like anything everyone is different and you want to be careful and kind to yourself and go gradual with it and experiment and see what works best for you. Some people can definitely have a bad reaction or maybe it will make them focus more on the pain instead of distracting. But it can definitely be a better solution I feel than shooting your surgeon.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

She still feels it fully, but she cares less about it due to the change in mental state.

This is how I've always felt about opiates when I've needed them for pain. That I'm still aware that I'm in pain and if I'm in a bad mood I can still get fixated on it, it just helps me choose to not feel it possibly.

I gotta say that there is a growing older population that I saw going into my former store to try cannabis for the first time. Got some who would come in on their own and talk about growing up in the 60’s and “not being cool enough” to try back then. Also a lot of adult kids bring their elderly parents into try. Now that it’s legal, they said they were willing to try anything. Lotta people go for the gummies, oils and pills. I would look into balanced THC&CBD options for the relief they want but the THC high shouldn’t be as intense for them with the CBD kind of negating that intoxicating effect. Also look for the newest craze soon to hit the market, CBG for stomach issues and pain relief as well. 

I stopped taking my opioids 3 days after my wrist surgery and used nothing but my weed and Advil after that. Some strains just makes you feel good that you ignore the pain, but some strains I do notice the pain relief. Bruce Banner#3 for instance is my moms go too strain for his knee and shoulder inflammation. For me my strain that strain is Do-Si-Dos p, but also makes me a little sleepy sometimes. 

also @stepeethe CBD effect will gradual work better over time with daily consistent use for your pain. This is according to my former manager and he knew his shit

48 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I gotta say that there is a growing older population that I saw going into my former store to try cannabis for the first time. Got some who would come in on their own and talk about growing up in the 60’s and “not being cool enough” to try back then. Also a lot of adult kids bring their elderly parents into try. Now that it’s legal, they said they were willing to try anything. Lotta people go for the gummies, oils and pills. I would look into balanced THC&CBD options for the relief they want but the THC high shouldn’t be as intense for them with the CBD kind of negating that intoxicating effect. Also look for the newest craze soon to hit the market, CBG for stomach issues and pain relief as well. 

I stopped taking my opioids 3 days after my wrist surgery and used nothing but my weed and Advil after that. Some strains just makes you feel good that you ignore the pain, but some strains I do notice the pain relief. Bruce Banner#3 for instance is my moms go too strain for his knee and shoulder inflammation. For me my strain that strain is Do-Si-Dos p, but also makes me a little sleepy sometimes. 

also @stepeethe CBD effect will gradual work better over time with daily consistent use for your pain. This is according to my former manager and he knew his shit

Good to know as I do take it on schedule daily as if it were normal medicine so hopefully that helps.

One of the worst aspects of chronic pain though is sleep deprivation. That’s why anything that aids you in sleeping through the night is a massive win for your mental health.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

One of the worst aspects of chronic pain though is sleep deprivation. That’s why anything that aids you in sleeping through the night is a massive win for your mental health.

I dont know how anyone with that kind of LOUD constant pain goes to bed without some kind of aid. When you’re trying to shut off your mind and all you can hear is the noise of your pain, just the worst.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I had some back to back kidney surgeries a several years back. The month between surgeries was awful. This real before legal weed or even medical marijuana. Doctor prescribed me all the morphine I could possibly ever want. Did it numb the pain? Yes, but it so fucked up everything else. Screwed up my stomach something awful, kept me from actually getting any good sleep, gave me the worst asthma. I opted to just deal with the pain and go to sleep on 1000mg of Ibuprofen and a swig NyQuil. No thanks.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

And if there is a shooting do teachers have a duty to act? (Unlike police)

They won't receive any backing from government, so the first time they pull out a gun (for even a rational, perfect reason), they'll be thrown under the bus and every charge made against them that's possible. Right now, "arming teachers" is an argument used just to keep the other side from taking away their guns, or requiring background checks, or refusing guns after a mental assessment goes poorly, or....

• True 2
  • Halal 1

10 hours ago, brucoe said:

They won't receive any backing from government, so the first time they pull out a gun (for even a rational, perfect reason), they'll be thrown under the bus and every charge made against them that's possible. Right now, "arming teachers" is an argument used just to keep the other side from taking away their guns, or requiring background checks, or refusing guns after a mental assessment goes poorly, or....

Or when they don’t pull out a gun!

Just wanted to chime in and say that chronic pain is no joke.  My wife still has nerve pain from a fixed ruptured disk and fibromyalgia.  She rarely gets enough sleep, is more likely to catch colds/flu, and can be down right nasty at times.  I especially don't know what to say to her when she starts talking about ending the pain, I think our daughters are the only thing keeping her from acting, that and lots of antidepressants and therapy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I also have chronic pain. Weed doesn't help. Mushrooms do, but they're not a permanent solution - your tolerance for psylocybin gets really crazy really fast. 

I don't want narcotics. So the only thing I've found that works is ibuprofen and alcohol. Alcohol also has the added benefit of helping with my ADHD.

Chronic pain is not a joke and I don't really fault people for however they deal with it. Unless they want to kill people. That isn't cool.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I also have chronic pain. Weed doesn't help. Mushrooms do, but they're not a permanent solution - your tolerance for psylocybin gets really crazy really fast. 

I don't want narcotics. So the only thing I've found that works is ibuprofen and alcohol. Alcohol also has the added benefit of helping with my ADHD.

Chronic pain is not a joke and I don't really fault people for however they deal with it. Unless they want to kill people. That isn't cool.

Might eventually try growing mushrooms myself, but I have never tried. My sister buys some THC/CBD gummies from a site for her sleep and they also do mushroom gummies. So we have a 6 pack coming our way soon at 250mg a piece or 1500mg for the entire package. I want an experience and I finally got a receiver to watch movies on my projector again. It’s temporary as my unit is still on order . . .since Aug 28th 2021. So I went in and demanded something, so they are lending me a Denon x4700 until my x6700 gets here. 

15 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Might eventually try growing mushrooms myself, but I have never tried. My sister buys some THC/CBD gummies from a site for her sleep and they also do mushroom gummies. So we have a 6 pack coming our way soon at 250mg a piece or 1500mg for the entire package. I want an experience and I finally got a receiver to watch movies on my projector again. It’s temporary as my unit is still on order . . .since Aug 28th 2021. So I went in and demanded something, so they are lending me a Denon x4700 until my x6700 gets here. 

Mushrooms are fantastic for a lot of things. They help with the pain, they help me sleep, they help with depression. Your body just adapts to them really fast, to the point that micro doses become macro doses really fast if you do it every day. Last time I tried I micro dosing regiment I ended up putting like 4 stems and 2 or 3 caps in my sandwich for lunch just to stay level after only a few weeks. They're kind of a miracle drug, just not one you can take all the time.

• Like 1
  • True 1