Update: Inside Taylor Hawkins' Final Days as a Foo Fighter (Rolling Stone)

The loss of Taylor has been all I have thought of these last couple hours since I first read about this on Twitter. Of course I'm heartbroken that such a phenomenal talent is gone from a band I've been a fan of since the mid 90's. Moreover, my heart breaks for his family & friends of course, it doesn't even matter the circumstance, its done & he's gone & it truly fucking sucks! That said, my heart is shattered for both Pat & Dave ... the latter even more so because Taylor was his brother practically. I know it comes off as being a doomsayer but I really don't know how Dave is going to deal with this & it hurts you know?

2022 has taken a lot already and its barely 1/4 of the way done. FFS this is just shit.

Oh man this one hurts. Not only are they one of my favorite bands but Taylor was their link to Queen, my all time favorite band. Was lucky enough to see them in concert 3 times. Some of my favorite parts of the shows were when Taylor sang 😔

I have tickets to see them this summer but I can’t imagine they’ll continue with that tour. 

• Like 1

Fuck this is sad news. I got to see them in 2018, was set to see their 25th anniversary tour in Hamilton (Covid canceled) and my sister had just bought me tickets to see them in July for Xmas. Just finished Dave Grohl’s The Storyteller book and talked about Kurt’s loss on him and his love for his brother from another mother, Taylor Hawkins. This one is gonna hurt a lot 

Taylor Hawkins and Dave Grohl inducted Rush into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. That association and the reverence they paid really made me go back and check out Foo Fighters. I respect them a ton and this is an absolute tragedy for music. 

But I know how this loss hits for Foo fans. 

taylor-hawkins-neil-peart.png?w=800&ssl=

• 1 month later...
GettyImages-1239573271x.jpg?w=1024
WWW.ROLLINGSTONE.COM

For 24 years, Taylor went all-out for Foo Fighters. Before he died, Hawkins told multiple friends he “couldn’t fucking do it anymore.”

March 22, 2022, was a muggy day in Asunción, Paraguay’s capital city. Thunderstorms had ruined the grounds of the Asunciónico festival, forcing Foo Fighters to cancel their headlining concert there that night, but severe weather couldn’t stop hundreds of fans from gathering around the Sheraton, where the group was staying. Taylor Hawkins, the band’s charismatic drummer and singer, known for his athletic performances and surprising vocal agility, was hanging out in the lobby when the sound of a drum set came crashing through the din, playing his parts to “The Pretender” and “Everlong.” The sound piqued his interest, so he ventured out to find the source.

In the throng, nine-year-old Emma Sofía Peralta, who first picked up a pair of drumsticks at age seven, stationed herself behind her drum kit near a barricade with the hopes of catching the attention of her heroes, Dave Grohl and Hawkins. “That day was about to become the worst day of my life,” she says, referring to the canceled concert over Zoom (with translation help from her dad, Julius), “and suddenly it became the best day of my life.” Once outside, Hawkins scanned the crowd looking for the young drummer. After addressing the fans, announcing that Foo Fighters would surely return to Asunción, he posed for a photo with the girl, crouching next to her and flashing the sort of warm, toothy smile that established him as one of the most beloved drummers in rock. But multiple friends tell Rolling Stone that he felt conflicted about being on the road. Three days later, he was dead — an official cause of death is still unknown.

In the month and a half since Hawkins’ death, Rolling Stone has interviewed 20 people, including several of the drummer’s best friends, about his career, legacy, and outlook near the end of his life. Prior to Foo Fighters’ supersized post-pandemic comeback — which kicked off last June with vax-mandatory gigs in L.A. and New York’s Madison Square Garden — Hawkins felt hesitant about returning to the road and wasn’t sure he’d be able to remain a full-time member if they continued to tour at this pace, these friends say. Even though he kept himself in decent shape, according to his friends, he felt vexed by the physicality required to play nearly three-hour concerts night after night. (Rolling Stone repeatedly asked Hawkins’ family members and bandmates for interviews for this story. Hawkins’ family declined to comment. Foo Fighters and their management did not want to be interviewed. But through a representative, they dispute Hawkins’ friends’ characterizations of how he was feeling.)

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Inside Taylor Hawkins' Final Days as a Foo Fighter (Rolling Stone)
  • 3 months later...

I watched the Rush portion. Losing Taylor Hawkins and Neil Peart is a big big hole in these two bands' lives. They were all good friends. So seeing Dave Grohl play drums on 2112 and Working Man, it was insane. 

Also, Geddy and Alex really made Omar Hakim work on YYZ :lol: 

The entire concert is archived here on Internet Archive:

• Thanks 1