Albums from your teen years that still hold up for you?

• Guest changed the title to Albums from your teen years that still hold up for you?
2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I’ll start with: 1999, Built to Spill’s Keep It Like A Secret

Hadn't listened to this in 20 years, and it’s still fantastic.

well yeah sure pick a stone cold indie rock classic. I actually learned “car” just the other day (yes I know it’s not this album but still)

I’m going to go for Natalie Imruglia’s debut for mine

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Hey - you posted an IG story a couple of weeks ago about an album that you were looking forward to.  Which one was it again?

Oooof. Really putting me on the spot here. "Looking forward to this album" is like the only kind of IG story I post. Haha. Buuuut these are some albums that have shown up in the mail the past few weeks or today even:

Rolo Tomassi - Where Myth Becomes Memory

Hath - All That Was Promised

Allegaeon - Damnum

Immolation - Acts of God

I'm betting it was the Rolo Tomassi one though. And it is a very good album. It's a great mix of shoegazey indie rock and djenty progressive metal with a frontwoman.

It's not of my era but I grew up with a huge music nerd and record collector uncle. This was a really important album he introduced me to in my early teen years:

There's something really off-kilter and dark about this album, starting with the super cool cover. And you could play Don't Fear The Reaper one million times more and I'd still not find it played out, probably one of my favorite songs ever.

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

Albums that came out when I was a teen, albums I listened to as a teen, or both?

Thinking stuff that came out when you were a teen

2 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

Showing my own era, but Hybrid Theory is still amazing. 

It's amazing how much of modern rock music still borrows from hybrid theory/meteora. Bring Me the Horizon, Architects, Falling in Reverse, Spirit box, basically every modern metal core band straight up lifts sounds and riffs from those two albums

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Every album I've ever purchased still holds up.

i may not go this far but as far as when i was a "teen" i grew up in the socal skate/punk scene so Offspring's Smash is my #1 forever (technically not a teen when this came out though and got when i was in like 5th grade)

then there were albums like Full Circle, Dookie, Goldfingers Hang Ups, Punk in Drublic, Vandals, Bad Religion, early AFI when they were a hardcore band etc.  all those still hold up and i listen to regularly 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

i may not go this far but as far as when i was a "teen" i grew up in the socal skate/punk scene so Offspring's Smash is my #1 forever (technically not a teen when this came out though and got when i was in like 5th grade)

then there were albums like Full Circle, Dookie, Goldfingers Hang Ups, Drunk in Public, Vandals, Bad Religion, early AFI when they were a hardcore band etc.  all those still hold up and i listen to regularly 

The Offspring pre-Smash was so good also. That Ignition album is one of my favorites still 

I was in my teens in the 80s, and was a bit of a skater punk so I liked a lot of music in that scene as well as some rock, metal and new wave. I got more into music in the 90s, and that’s when I really started collecting albums on CD (which I still do) and still own most of them and still listen to them now. I don’t still listen to too much music from the 80s, but the following are some albums that I still listen to on occasion from that time:

Adolescents - Adolescents, Brats in Battalions

Agent Orange - Living in Darkness

Bad Religion - Suffer, No Control

Berlin - Pleasure Victim, Love Life, Count Three & Pray

Concrete Blonde - Concrete Blonde, Free

D.I. - Ancient Artifacts, Horse Bites Dog Cries

Doggy Style - Side by Side

Fuzzbox - Bostin’ Steve Austin, Big Bang!

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine

Social Distortion - Mommy’s Little Monster

Spear of Destiny - Outland

Stan Ridgway - The Big Heat

T.S.O.L. - Change Today?, Revenge, Hit and Run

Wall of Voodoo - Dark Continent, Call of the West, Seven Days in Sammystown

2000, Radiohead’s Kid A

Radiohead is my absolute favorite band of all time. I’ve listened to every album of theirs hundreds of times, but Kid A is the album that introduced me to the band. I’m sure I had heard Creep or maybe Karma Police on the radio at some point prior, but I don’t remember knowing who the band was until Kid A dropped.

8 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Got to hang out with them when they toured with Save Ferris, super cool bunch of guys.

yah i met them at warped tour like 2004ish i think when they had it at cal state fullerton here.  i forget if they played were just or chilling but yah they were super cool

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Technically I was a teen when this came out. Still the GOAT @Dodger

Fuck I was 14 when this and City came out. I didn’t discover DT until about 5 years later though, which wound put me around 19-20 when in to him. Some girl I was dating got me Terria for my bday a year or two after it came out. I probably should have stayed with her.

• True 1

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

Fuck I was 14 when this and City came out. I didn’t discover DT until about 5 years later though, which wound put me around 19-20 when in to him. Some girl I was dating got me Terria for my bday a year or two after it came out. I probably should have stayed with her.

I would say something similar though not quite as long time for discovery for me since I hung out at the IGN Metal boards and they were always pimping him there. :p

Also, no girl got me Terarria so yeah you fucked up bro. :p

A lot of the pop-punk I was into in my early teens doesn't really do it for me anymore but in my late teens I started listening to indie rock like Pavement, Archers of Loaf, and stuff like that. Thats the stuff I'm still a big fan of. 

10 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I would say something similar though not quite as long time for discovery for me since I hung out at the IGN Metal boards and they were always pimping him there. :p

Also, no girl got me Terarria so yeah you fucked up bro. :p

That’s how I found out about him, on the metal boards.  

She was great in bed too. Well you’re from CA right? We were seniors at Cal State Fullerton about to graduate but she was from Stockton and moving back after we graduated so I didn’t plan on anything serious. She later told me if I would have told her stay for me she would have. Oops.

6 hours ago, Dodger said:

She was great in bed too. Well you’re from CA right? We were seniors at Cal State Fullerton about to graduate but she was from Stockton and moving back after we graduated so I didn’t plan on anything serious. She later told me if I would have told her stay for me she would have. Oops.

Of course. No one really wants to live in Stockton. :p

• Haha 1
  • True 1