Dave Chappelle gets cancelled into four more Netflix specials

7 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So apprently this attacker dude was an aspiring rapper who had a song called "Dave Chappelle" so... over zealous fan? A "Stan"?

I mean a song named after someone can go different ways :P Are there lyrics available?

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

I mean a song named after someone can go different ways :P Are there lyrics available?

Dave Chapelle

You tell jokes so well

You make me laugh all night

without it my life would be hell

and that ain't right

So I think all your shows are really tight

Goodnight!

• Haha 1

So I haven’t seen this reported yet really but apparently the dude is MAGA which makes this all even more hilarious especially since, well, how do I know he’s a maga?

Because I followed him to spotify and discovered he released this fucking GEM of a banger.

• Shocked 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Now that Chappelle is showing up at John Mulaney shows and ambushing crowds with trans and homophonic content, I’m happy this bit from James Acaster is making the rounds again. 

I don’t think there is a category of talent within entertainment that has a higher percentage of people who think way too highly of what they do than comedians. Your job is just to make people laugh. Don’t sell yourself long.

24 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t think there is a category of talent within entertainment that has a higher percentage of people who think way too highly of what they do than comedians. Your job is just to make people laugh. Don’t sell yourself long.

• Haha 2
  • True 1

yeah it’s wild to see some comedians not get that “being edgy and getting away with it” is something earned with every joke, not something that is owed to them just for getting up on the stage. If it’s funny enough and you’re reading the pulse of society right then you’ll get away with it, if it’s not or you aren’t, then you won’t.

You don’t see the zamponia player yelling at the audience for not applauding after playing the whole song in the wrong key.

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

You don’t see the zamponia player yelling at the audience for not applauding after playing the whole song in the wrong key.

That's because the audience IS applauding and not telling him he sucks.

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

That's because the audience IS applauding and not telling him he sucks.

This is why I didn’t say “read the room right” and specified the larger audience at large that they have to contend with at their level of fame.

They aren’t getting away with it without some noted criticism because they are missing the mark.

Seriously fuck Chappelle for all this. Also didn't he quit his original show and bounce to Africa because he's kind of a conspiracy nut because he refused to do a sketch in drag because he thinks that is a way for the White men in power to keep the Black men "in their place" by always having them do skits dressed as women, or something like that. I remember hearing something along those lines years ago. 

The irony of someone that can so articulately, so hilariously point out all the bullshit of how society can treat Black people as lesser thans, with such biting insight, and yet is so blind to how now he is doing that with the trans community. His head is so far up his own ass he doesn't just think his shit doesn't stink, he thinks it's fucking potpourri. 

• Halal 2

25 minutes ago, Brick said:

The irony of someone that can so articulately, so hilariously point out all the bullshit of how society can treat Black people as lesser thans, with such biting insight, and yet is so blind to how now he is doing that with the trans community.

I mean there's really no irony at all. The plight of black people and the plight of gays are two entirely different things and experiences.  There's homophobia the black community and there's racism in the gay community.  Dave's experience is clearly skewed in one direction. Like someone posted above, he's a comedian... don't place too much value on his opinion or word.  

• Halal 1

59 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I mean there's really no irony at all. The plight of black people and the plight of gays are two entirely different things and experiences.  There's homophobia the black community and there's racism in the gay community.  Dave's experience is clearly skewed in one direction. Like someone posted above, he's a comedian... don't place too much value on his opinion or word.  

Oh for sure they're very different things, but in terms of a marginalized group being the butt of jokes, being treated like crap, etc., the irony of him not seeing that he's the bad guy here, and history will not be on his side. It's getting tiresome of comedians thinking their jokes can't be criticized. I'm quite liking Bo Burnham more lately because he has called himself out on some of his older songs, and trying to do better. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/23/2022 at 2:05 AM, Brick said:

Oh for sure they're very different things, but in terms of a marginalized group being the butt of jokes, being treated like crap, etc., the irony of him not seeing that he's the bad guy here, and history will not be on his side. It's getting tiresome of comedians thinking their jokes can't be criticized. I'm quite liking Bo Burnham more lately because he has called himself out on some of his older songs, and trying to do better. 

Nobody thinks jokes can't be criticized, you're simplifying this in a way that's not real. There is a few small groups that want to censor comedians. They don't want to criticize, they want it gone. They don't want people to to be able to hear jokes they find offensive. I definitely don't think he's on the wrong side. Freedom of speech and expression is always the right side.

11 hours ago, Jason said:

And this is the least bad newspaper in Santa Monica. :facepalm:

CLMN_PISARRA_whatsthepoint.jpg
WWW.SMDP.COM

<!-- wp:paragraph --> It’s Pride month and this is one gay man who is frankly pretty damn scared at the way American culture is going. On one side we’ve got

I mean, it's not new that many in the gay/lesbian/bi community, and much of the feminist community thinks the trans community is too sensitive, and that their rhetoric is only hurting the LGB community. 

Pretending that all of the left agrees and only the right is against trans women in sport, censorship, and all these things is disingenuous. In fact, I'd say most democrats are getting fed up, because the gender identity activists are pushing people who are slightly left to the center or right of center.

Equal rights for all includes being joked about. The idea that jokes are violence is ridiculous, and nobody ever watched a Chapelle special and said, "Well, now I need to be violent with a trans person." 

• Guillotine 1
  • Halal 1

On 5/23/2022 at 12:27 AM, Brick said:

Seriously fuck Chappelle for all this. Also didn't he quit his original show and bounce to Africa because he's kind of a conspiracy nut because he refused to do a sketch in drag because he thinks that is a way for the White men in power to keep the Black men "in their place" by always having them do skits dressed as women, or something like that. I remember hearing something along those lines years ago. 

No, this isn't even remotely true. 

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, it's not new that many in the gay/lesbian/bi community, and much of the feminist community thinks the trans community is too sensitive, and that their rhetoric is only hurting the LGB community. 

Pretending that all of the left agrees and only the right is against trans women in sport, censorship, and all these things is disingenuous. In fact, I'd say most democrats are getting fed up, because the gender identity activists are pushing people who are slightly left to the center or right of center.

Equal rights for all includes being joked about. The idea that jokes are violence is ridiculous, and nobody ever watched a Chapelle special and said, "Well, now I need to be violent with a trans person." 

I disagree strongly with this opinion that the sensitivity is more to blame for strife than the offense in the first place. Sure, I can roll my eyes sometimes when someone goes too "woke," but the idea that the backlash to that type of action (being radicalized, etc) is equal to the sensitivity is wrong. 

On 5/22/2022 at 6:47 PM, sblfilms said:

Absolutely. I can't find that tweet that sums it up perfectly, but something like "As a comedian, it is my job to be the last defender of free speech, and speaking truth to power. I am the defender of democracy and the human experience! *goes on to make a poop joke*"

36 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I disagree strongly with this opinion that the sensitivity is more to blame for strife than the offense in the first place. Sure, I can roll my eyes sometimes when someone goes too "woke," but the idea that the backlash to that type of action (being radicalized, etc) is equal to the sensitivity is wrong. 

But there was no offense, he didn't do anything terrible, he told jokes. Jokes a particular group didn't like.

Finding them personally offensive is fine. Demanding his special to be pulled is not. Demanding Netflix not work with him is also not ok. And it's definitely not a way to gain acceptance among the general public. 

And personally, I didn't think the last special was great, but the pandemic was a tough time for comedy anyway. But saying it's hate speech and the like was going way too far.

Equal rights are important, but nobody has a right to not be offended. I really do understand that the trans community has tremendous challenges in life, but demanding punishment for everyone who offends them publicly is never going to win them support from the general public. 

It's like the Lia Thomas thing. It's a fight that is only going to make acceptance harder for them, because even most democrats are against it.

• Like 1

no

And personally, I didn't think the last special was great, but the pandemic was a tough time for comedy anyway. But saying it's hate speech and the like was going way too far.

Equal rights are important, but nobody has a right to not be offended. I really do understand that the trans community has tremendous challenges in life, but demanding punishment for everyone who offends them publicly is never going to win them support from the general public. 

1. Hate speech shouldn't be defined solely by what the in-group defines as harmful
  2. No one says anyone's rights were violated. It's 100% fair game for a group to feel offended/dislike something, and then to ask others not to support it. And by doing that, none of Chapelle's rights were violated
  3. So yeah, Chapelle has the right to say offensive and transphobic things...and his victims have the right to raise a stink and ask others to boycott/etc. I don't see what your issues is, here, or why you would be offended that victims of jokes would not like being victims

• True 1

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

1. Hate speech shouldn't be defined solely by what the in-group defines as harmful
  2. No one says anyone's rights were violated. It's 100% fair game for a group to feel offended/dislike something, and then to ask others not to support it. And by doing that, none of Chapelle's rights were violated
  3. So yeah, Chapelle has the right to say offensive and transphobic things...and his victims have the right to raise a stink and ask others to boycott/etc. I don't see what your issues is, here, or why you would be offended that victims of jokes would not like being victims

1. Nothing said by dave can be remotely called hate speech. 

2. Nobody said rights were violated, but they absolutely wanted to censor him. Ill never be ok with that. 

3. Im not offended by any of it, I'm saying that this hurts the trans community more than helps it. It loses them support from the left of center, including from the lgb community. They can be offended all they want, just stop trying to censor what offended you for the rest of the world.

5 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

1. Nothing said by dave can be remotely called hate speech. 

2. Nobody said rights were violated, but they absolutely wanted to censor him. Ill never be ok with that. 

3. Im not offended by any of it, I'm saying that this hurts the trans community more than helps it. It loses them support from the left of center, including from the lgb community. They can be offended all they want, just stop trying to censor what offended you for the rest of the world.

1. I don't think anyone says it is hate speech, in the legal term. If they did, they could take him to court for it, where applicable. I think people are using it in the more casual sense of "saying hurtful or discriminatory things based on factors a person can't control about themselves"
  2. What you are describing is no censorship. Free people are free to buy or not buy whatever they want, along with asking others to do the same. Government has no role here
  3. I don't think you are well-connected to that community, then, and don't speak for it. And again, calling for boycotts (or whatever) is no censorship, it's the exact same freedom of expression that you yourself are apparently trying to champion. But maybe you should be advocating for the victims here, not the aggressor
  4. Use the proper numbering indented list, lol
  • Like 1
  • True 1

10 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Absolutely. I can't find that tweet that sums it up perfectly, but something like "As a comedian, it is my job to be the last defender of free speech, and speaking truth to power. I am the defender of democracy and the human experience! *goes on to make a poop joke*"

Got you fam:

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

• 3 weeks later...