Dave Chappelle gets cancelled into four more Netflix specials

Dave-Chappelle-The-Closer-Publicity-H-20
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

The controversial comic will host and produce four comedy specials focusing on other veteran comedians.

Cancel culture is out of control, we must keep Dave in our thoughts as he produces and hosts these specials for millions of dollars 🙏

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • True 1
  • Sicko 1

It’ll be extra infuriating because the specials themselves will 100% be ABOUT being canceled, all four of them, with mostly the same joke set-ups and punchlines with some slight ad-lib variations.

And we will then have to hear about how he is being canceled like it’s all brand new each time one of them drops, and be expected to enter arguments about them on good faith, pretending the other side doesn’t know it’s all bullshit. 

Honestly the real “PC” in America is not being able to call things and people what they actually are, and having to do this polite dance instead of just outright calling people transphobic, or racist, or sexist, etc. 

Want to get people to try to cancel you real quick, publicly call them out on their shit and use the words and don’t qualify it. Nothing is more outrageous in this country than calling another person a racist.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

It’ll be extra infuriating because the specials themselves will 100% be ABOUT being canceled, all four of them, with mostly the same joke set-ups and punchlines with some slight ad-lib variations.

And we will then have to hear about how he is being canceled like it’s all brand new each time one of them drops, and be expected to enter arguments about them on good faith, pretending the other side doesn’t know it’s all bullshit. 

Honestly the real “PC” in America is not being able to call things and people what they actually are, and having to do this polite dance instead of just outright calling people transphobic, or racist, or sexist, etc. 

Want to get people to try to cancel you real quick, publicly call them out on their shit and use the words and don’t qualify it. Nothing is more outrageous in this country than calling another person a racist.

nah. there may be a jab in the 1st one, but he's too damn good to fall on that sword for 4 specials.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

These specials are just being “hosted” by him, so he’ll just say something like “this next comic hopes he doesn’t get cancelled like me!” then he brings up Earthquake.

• Haha 2

I was just thinking recently, how many comedians truly gracefully age? Some, like Gilbert Gottfried, are just playing a character. Others, like Jeff Foxworthy just got by on the same tame joke for decades. As far as comedians who do biting social commentary, it's like there's George Carlin and... ? Everyone else seems to become an out of touch celebrity that they used to roast or becomes the bitter old person screaming "get off my lawn."

I think Marc Maron and Tom Segura will probably age well. I think it's because they both got big, but never like "sell out arenas" big." They're still somewhat in touch with real life that people actually experience.

4 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I was just thinking recently, how many comedians truly gracefully age? Some, like Gilbert Gottfried, are just playing a character. Others, like Jeff Foxworthy just got by on the same tame joke for decades. As far as comedians who do biting social commentary, it's like there's George Carlin and... ? Everyone else seems to become an out of touch celebrity that they used to roast or becomes the bitter old person screaming "get off my lawn."

I think Marc Maron and Tom Segura will probably age well. I think it's because they both got big, but never like "sell out arenas" big." They're still somewhat in touch with real life that people actually experience.

Segura is absolutely "sell out arenas" big. He's one of the most popular comics in the world. Being married to a comedian probably helps. I think his podcasts probably keep him grounded too.

22 hours ago, Iculus said:

his peers think that he is as good as Pryor. I'll take their word for it.

I don't care.

I'm sure Dave can still be funny, I'm sure that he's still insightful. His talent has been obvious for decades. It's simply not relevant.

The perspectives of other comedians aren't of substance. So many of them are out there on their bullshit talking about how comedy needs to be edgy, dangerous, and pushing the envelope in order to be relevant based on some cockamamie fear that criticism of stupidity is going to lead to the censorship of comedy writ large. None of this is actually true.

And I'm not opposed to "edgy" comedy. There's just absolutely nothing edgy or dangerous about getting on stage and saying you're on team TERF. It's just hateful and stupid.

So I don't give a shit. You can't make me chuckle your way out of trafficking in transphobia, Louis CK can't make me chuckle his way out of being a sexual harassing / assaulting, gatekeeping asshole. There are enough funny people out there that very little to nothing is lost if these guys and their ilk aren't handed sackfuls of dollars to whine about being canceled.

Their talent, their perception amongst their peer, and the extent to which either of those things are accurate is simply not relevant.

I am not hugely into standup because I do feel like so much of it is mean spirited, regardless of the flawed notion of punching up/punching down.

I went to a Nate Bargatze show a couple Saturdays back and that is definitely more my speed.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I am not hugely into standup because I do feel like so much of it is mean spirited, regardless of the flawed notion of punching up/punching down.

I went to a Nate Bargatze show a couple Saturdays back and that is definitely more my speed.

Wait till you see me perform. :)

• Shocked 1

the entire point of the rant that landed him here was a defense of a trans woman who was bullied to the point that she killed herself. she was bullied by fucking trans people. she opened for him. he loved her, and lost a close friend. I don't agree with the way that he handled the situation. people lash out when they are angry. 

15 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I don't care.

I'm sure Dave can still be funny, I'm sure that he's still insightful. His talent has been obvious for decades. It's simply not relevant.

The perspectives of other comedians aren't of substance. So many of them are out there on their bullshit talking about how comedy needs to be edgy, dangerous, and pushing the envelope in order to be relevant based on some cockamamie fear that criticism of stupidity is going to lead to the censorship of comedy writ large. None of this is actually true.

And I'm not opposed to "edgy" comedy. There's just absolutely nothing edgy or dangerous about getting on stage and saying you're on team TERF. It's just hateful and stupid.

So I don't give a shit. You can't make me chuckle your way out of trafficking in transphobia, Louis CK can't make me chuckle his way out of being a sexual harassing / assaulting, gatekeeping asshole. There are enough funny people out there that very little to nothing is lost if these guys and their ilk aren't handed sackfuls of dollars to whine about being canceled.

Their talent, their perception amongst their peer, and the extent to which either of those things are accurate is simply not relevant.

Great post. Most comedians really seem to think that they have such bold, deeply original thoughts that push society towards growth. Really, it's just shit like this:

• Haha 3

I used to perform standup back in college for a couple of year and I decided to get back into it earlier this year. Comedy isn't quite like riding a bike, so it took me at least one set to get used to being in front of a crowd. When I'm up there, it is my job to make them laugh. If a joke I make doesn't work I either rewrite it to make it work or I throw it out altogether. So much of starting out as a comic is learning how to react to the audience. I can't lash out at them if something doesn't work.

The problem with so many of these famous comics is that at this point they are used to performing in front of people who know and love them. They may not even be able to react to their material not being well received because it's not something they have had to do in quite some time. They've lost the ability to adapt which was such a key part to them becoming big in the first place. Sadly this is one area where success can really hurt a comic. When you are only surrounded by fans who are predisposed to finding whatever you say funny then it's easy to lose touch.

9 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Great post. Most comedians really seem to think that they have such bold, deeply original thoughts that push society towards growth. Really, it's just shit like this:

I feel like I'm on TV Tropes because following that tweet got me to go into a deep rabbit hole, clicking a bunch of related things and now wasting time yet feeling like it was somehow worth it.

FK77ECvWYAoWbN6?format=jpg&name=large

• Haha 5
  • True 2

On 2/20/2022 at 2:51 PM, sblfilms said:

i think bargatze is hilarious 

i know a couple people who went to one of his shows and they loved it. 

I saw Bargatze open for Marc Maron and he was hilarious.

And I feel like there’s plenty of comedy out there isn’t mean spirited. It’s even less mean than it was a decade ago. Comedians have to get creative because they can’t get laughs going after the same easy targets anymore.

Sblfilms should just listen to the late Mitch Hedberg. Nothing mean yet he’s a wordsmith.

”I haven’t slept for ten days because that would be too long.”

”A burrito is like a sleeping bag for ground beef.”

To this day, when an escalator isn’t working, I always say, “An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs.”

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Sblfilms should just listen to the late Mitch Hedberg. Nothing mean yet he’s a wordsmith.

To this day, when an escalator isn’t working, I always say, “An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs.”

Mitch Hedberg is so good. 

4 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

:|

• Guillotine 2