Dave Chappelle gets cancelled into four more Netflix specials

Yes, you literally posted a quote from Louis CK himself where he basically says "I didn't realise I was being a creep" and he (presumably) hasn't done it since. That was my point. He was being a creep by abusing his power, but at the time he didn't realize that's what he was doing. That is an entirely understandable position. Someone who does not come from a position of privilege does not necessarily recognise when they're in positions of power - that's why no fraternisation (sp)  rules exist. He did not realize they only said yes because they were afraid to say no. That does not make him Harvey Weinstein and should be banished from Hollywood forever.

Do we just never let people in the public sphere ever move on from any wrong thing they've done? News flash: we've all done horrible shit. That doesn't make us monsters. And also we're rapidly getting to a point where everyone in the public sphere had a Twitter account when they were 12. Glass houses and shit.

Again, I have to reiterate, I can see how what Louis CK did could have been done by anyone. Not saying that's exactly how it happened, but I can see how it could be, because I've lived through it.

33 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Yes, you literally posted a quote from Louis CK himself where he basically says "I didn't realise I was being a creep" and he (presumably) hasn't done it since. That was my point. He was being a creep by abusing his power, but at the time he didn't realize that's what he was doing. That is an entirely understandable position. Someone who does not come from a position of privilege does not necessarily recognise when they're in positions of power - that's why no fraternisation (sp)  rules exist. He did not realize they only said yes because they were afraid to say no. That does not make him Harvey Weinstein and should be banished from Hollywood forever.

Do we just never let people in the public sphere ever move on from any wrong thing they've done? News flash: we've all done horrible shit. That doesn't make us monsters. And also we're rapidly getting to a point where everyone in the public sphere had a Twitter account when they were 12. Glass houses and shit.

Again, I have to reiterate, I can see how what Louis CK did could have been done by anyone. Not saying that's exactly how it happened, but I can see how it could be, because I've lived through it.

No posted that to push back against the notion that what he did was consensual when he himself said it wasn't.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

No posted that to push back against the notion that what he did was consensual when he himself said it wasn't.

OF COURSE IT WASN'T, I'M NOT SAYING IT WAS, FUCKING CHRIST.

I'm only saying I can understand why he wouldn't have understood that at the time, which is what his version of the story is. Having power over someone isn't necessarily something that comes naturally if you don't come from power, and all I'm saying is I can *understand* a scenario in which Louis CK did not know that he was abusing his power by asking people to jerk off in front of them.

That's it.

I'm not saying that is what happened, I'm saying I could easily see a scenario where that is what happened. That's all. You guys are pretending to know everything and are ready to just rocket Louis CK to the sun, while I'm like.... "yeah, that sounds like something that could have happened at 4am on a Sunday back in my party days." Difference is my boss never took his dick out in front of me, at least that I can remember.

Let's just permanently punish someone for the crime of being a creep. They can never work again. Did they do anything illegal? ... no. Did they put hands on someone? ... no. They were just being a creep who was abusing their power potentially without realizing they were doing so? ... yeah. TO THE FUCKING CRUCIFIX.

I guess it just speaks to the difference in life experiences that I've had compared to all of you. Aside from the shit of his manager/publicist threatening to bury everyone who spoke about it, which is the real problem to me. But, like I said, it's entirely possible that Louis CK wouldn't have even known about that.

But let's just keep assuming that we know exactly what happened and ban someone from ever making content again, that sounds like a better idea. Better safe than sorry, I suppose.

• Thanks 1

Also there is a lot of presumption by assuming cocaine was involved. On Jen Kirkman's newest album she actually tells about how CK approached her with this question from how she framed the story it didn't come across as drug-fueled at all. They had just sat down in a separate room at a bar when he asked the question. She thought the question was absurd so she misunderstood it as him testing out material on her, which is something comedians to to their peers all of the time. He seemed bothered that she wasn't picking up on the situation at all. She believes her naïveté at the time helped her because CK gets off on disgusting people and scaring people with his behavior. And then directly after a mutual friends walks up to them and he quickly pretends that he was just showing her pictures of his kids. And all of this happened when he was still married. Really disgusting and sick individual here.

I think those outside of comedy don't fully understand the dynamics here. These weren't just women who looked up to him. These were women who were opening for his on the road. When you an opener the headliner is basically your boss. They chose to have you there, and they could also choose to let you go as well. Being a working comic is hard, and being a female comic, even harder. You have to take any work you can. They weren't allowing him to jerk just because he was a hero, they were allowing him to do it because they didn't want to lose any work.

• Like 2

And because this is a Chappelle thread, it should be stated that he openly defends Louis CK and even attacked one of his accusers. It's attitudes like this from male comics like him which helps continue to make the world of comedy feel unsafe for women. Look at how few prominent male comics have spoke out against Louis CK winning a Grammy where he lies about his assault. It's shameful.

dave_chappelle.jpg?w=1024
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

“You don’t know how to hang up a phone?” he said of a woman who claimed that the ‘Louie’ creator masturbated while on a phone call with her...

8 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

There’s really no excuse for someone not realizing that asking if he can pump off in front of them, apropos of nothing, is “being a creep.” He’s a grown ass man, what are we talking about? It’s not like he was out on dates, misreading signs, and asking for consent to move things to the next level in an otherwise romantic situation. He fabricated scenarios in which women thought they were going to talk about comedy and then he’s asking if he can pull his dick out. It’s not “entirely understandable” at all.

And I dunno, maybe if you make women feel unsafe at comedy clubs based on years worth of established behavior… maybe you don’t get to work comedy clubs anymore? I dunno. That doesn’t seem unreasonable to me.

Also stop bringing up Harvey Weinstein? Why is that the litmus test being used here, it’s bizarre.

5 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I guess it just speaks to the difference in life experiences that I've had compared to all of you.

Maybe so. Maybe you are talking to people who have been on the receiving end of pretty substantial sexual harassment themselves and don’t feel like giving a pass because of the Rosanne Barr defense of “the drugs made me do it!”

The problem I think most people in this thread have with CK isn’t just that he did these things in the past, but that he doesn’t seem to think it is that big of a problem. And your posts encourage that thinking.

A couple of years ago my wife was talking to her mom about a family friend that had molested my wife for a couple of years when she was about 8/9. My mother in law asked “but he didn’t put his penis in you, right?” 

Sorry, that isn’t the standard.

In addition to what Kamusha said I could add that without even getting into the specifics of it and if cocaine was involved or not, that I simply don’t think he is remorseful or has taken steps to improve his behavior moving forward.

I haven’t heard anything about him talking about the therapy he’s been in working through the issues that caused him to act in such a vile manner. It’s hard for me to trust that he wouldn’t do vile acts again if he thinks just saying he’s sorry and then turning around and joking about it a few years later is good enough. 

He can release all the content he wants, nobody is stopping him, this is obviously readily apparent. But he certainly doesn’t need to be awarded for his behavior which giving him a grammy for an album where he makes jokes about what he did comes across as. 

There is only one person a year that will get that award, and there are a lot of comedians out there. He can release his content and people can listen, but why can’t we have literally anyone else be awarded further in this progression instead of him? He’s had his time, he has his money, he’s had his recognition, he’s been awarded plenty. With only so few who can break through in the industry I think it’s 100% okay to give whatever spots would have gone to him to someone else who has potentially been less shitty.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Maybe so. Maybe you are talking to people who have been on the receiving end of pretty substantial sexual harassment themselves and don’t feel like giving a pass because of the Rosanne Barr defense of “the drugs made me do it!”

The problem I think most people in this thread have with CK isn’t just that he did these things in the past, but that he doesn’t seem to think it is that big of a problem. And your posts encourage that thinking.

A couple of years ago my wife was talking to her mom about a family friend that had molested my wife for a couple of years when she was about 8/9. My mother in law asked “but he didn’t put his penis in you, right?” 

Sorry, that isn’t the standard.

Right, exactly.

Also this is what pisses me off about Chappelle's bit linked earlier. Yeah, maybe some of the women Louie harassed do have a "brittle ass spirit." But who fucking cares, what does that have to do with anything? You don't know how people are going to react to stuff. I know people who were harassed and it really changed them meaningfully and for a long time. I know someone who was raped and for all intents and purposes it just kinda rolled off her back. 

It shouldn't be up to the victim to have a strong enough spirit to endure something they shouldn't have had to endure in the first place. Dave should know better but he's got a brand to protect. Far be it for my privileged white ass to tell a black man anything about anything, but I dunno. Maybe black people shouldn't have put up with the shit they do? And maybe there are black people who aren't "tough enough" to deal with that shit and them being that way isn't their fault and they should still be able to thrive? I dunno. It comes off as a shit attitude to me.

20 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Right, exactly.

Also this is what pisses me off about Chappelle's bit linked earlier. Yeah, maybe some of the women Louie harassed do have a "brittle ass spirit." But who fucking cares, what does that have to do with anything? You don't know how people are going to react to stuff. I know people who were harassed and it really changed them meaningfully and for a long time. I know someone who was raped and for all intents and purposes it just kinda rolled off her back. 

Big yikes. Maybe we should be talking about victims in a more respectful manner here. Attitudes like this are why women are afraid to speak out.

1 minute ago, Kamusha said:

Big yikes. Maybe we should be talking about victims in a more respectful manner here. Attitudes like this are why women are afraid to speak out.

That is quite clearly not Kal’s position

14 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

I would never call out any individual victim for this like Chappelle did. I think it's gross that he did that. My point is that a victim's strength shouldn't be relevant or interrogated because they never should have been a victim in the first place. And to make sure I'm very clear, I don't mean that in a "she shouldn't have dressed sexy if she didn't want to be groped," way AT ALL, I mean that the perpetrator of the abuse should not have done what they did, full stop.

Apologies if it came off as victim blaming, that was not my intent.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

That is quite clearly not Kal’s position

It was easy to interpret that he was conceding that maybe some women were like that. He shouldn't be doing that. Period.

And please watch your tone. How is it "clearly" if I misunderstood? Unless you're implying that I must be stupid for not understanding something that is so "clear".

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

It was easy to interpret that he was conceding that maybe some women were like that. He shouldn't be doing that. Period.

And please watch your tone. How is it "clearly" if I misunderstood? Unless you're implying that I must be stupid for not understanding something that is so "clear".

“Brittle ass spirit” were Chappelle’s words, not mine, hence my quotation marks. 

Again my point was that regardless of how resilient someone is, the baseline for a career in comedy absolutely should not be “tough enough” to not quit after being sexually harassed or insulted. That some people are more resilient than others should not be relevant, as nobody deserves to be sexually harassed or insulted. 

Edit - to be super thorough, this should be the expectation for every career, not only comedy or entertainment or whatever. 

Thanks for some of the recent replies, especially by @sblfilmsand @Kal-El814. I suppose it's easy to fall into the trap of "I went through it and you don't see me bitching" while everyone's experience is different.

and in the case of Louis CK, it's not like it's one thing that happened one time while people were fucked up at a party, as was my case.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Not giving Rogan a view, what did he say?

He implied that there was "sex talk" with a lot of the women who accused CK and that they "Turned on him" because of Me Too. He also said that he talked to Louis and there was more to the story and it would eventually come out. Basically Louis was the REAL victim here... all the shit you would expect.

• Guillotine 1

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

“Brittle ass spirit” were Chappelle’s words, not mine, hence my quotation marks. 

Again my point was that regardless of how resilient someone is, the baseline for a career in comedy absolutely should not be “tough enough” to not quit after being sexually harassed or insulted. That some people are more resilient than others should not be relevant, as nobody deserves to be sexually harassed or insulted. 

Edit - to be super thorough, this should be the expectation for every career, not only comedy or entertainment or whatever. 

Okay, I understand where you are coming from. Sorry for misunderstanding. I just thought it was a weird angle of addressing that. The way I would word it personally is that it takes a lot of a strength to be a woman working in comedy. None of the accusers have brittle ass spirits. You gotta be tough to be putting yourself out there in this comedy boy’s club. Ask any other female comedian and they’ll back me up.

2 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I suppose it's easy to fall into the trap of "I went through it and you don't see me bitching" while everyone's experience is different.

It is, I find myself accidentally doing it all the time despite trying to be very aware of it. We all live in our own bubbles, it's way harder than it sounds to always be Mr. Empathy and consider all these different viewpoints out there. It's something to strive for but you can't be perfect.  

The thing in all this the grammy academy voted for him, en masse. It's not like he decided he wanted a grammy, so went to the show and got one. Comedy albums were voted on, and the majority voted for his.

I get being upset at him about his actions, but some (not specifically here, but on social media) were extremely upset at him for winning, as if that's his fault. He produced his own show, sold his own show, all on his dime. The responsibility for awarding it to him is on the 2300 recording academy people who clearly felt comfortable voting for him, while all pretending to be virtuous lefties who just want to protect women! I've seen no consternation thrown the academies way at all. 

32 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

The thing in all this the grammy academy voted for him, en masse. It's not like he decided he wanted a grammy, so went to the show and got one. Comedy albums were voted on, and the majority voted for his.

I get being upset at him about his actions, but some (not specifically here, but on social media) were extremely upset at him for winning, as if that's his fault. He produced his own show, sold his own show, all on his dime. The responsibility for awarding it to him is on the 2300 recording academy people who clearly felt comfortable voting for him, while all pretending to be virtuous lefties who just want to protect women! I've seen no consternation thrown the academies way at all. 

That isn’t “the thing” at all, your social media feed actually has nothing to do whatsoever with what anyone is talking about. This is just a random whatever post because it lets you slide in a weird sorta defense. If you haven’t seen anyone say fuck the grammys for awarding it to him then that is on your social circle and it’s simply irrelevant.

I feel like I see these takes all the time lately where someone has to point out the REAL issue being the dipshits in their twitter feed. It’s a distraction. 

• True 1

4 hours ago, Kamusha said:

I am so completely over the way you act like you're being picked on when people don't go along with what you think about a topic. 

2 hours ago, stepee said:

That isn’t “the thing” at all, your social media feed actually has nothing to do whatsoever with what anyone is talking about. This is just a random whatever post because it lets you slide in a weird sorta defense. If you haven’t seen anyone say fuck the grammys for awarding it to him then that is on your social circle and it’s simply irrelevant.

I feel like I see these takes all the time lately where someone has to point out the REAL issue being the dipshits in their twitter feed. It’s a distraction. 

Thats the thing, it's not the grammys, they are an event. It's the academy, and they voted for him. They very fucking same Hollywood fools that are in everyone's timelines talking about how much they care, because they are real carebears when they think they might get positive feedback and a nice story.

This isn't about his actions in the past, its about him winning an award his peers voted for. The same peers who all came out against him when this started. 

I fail to see how being mad at CK for winning changes anything. Those who are mad should ask the grammy's to name names. Who voted for him. Bet there would be some surprises. Those are the people to be upset with. 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I am so completely over the way you act like you're being picked on when people don't go along with what you think about a topic. 

I am so over being talked down by you. You have expressed transphobic ideals before in the past. Your mask is off because you are talking to me with such disrespect. The audacity of you.

This board is not friendly towards trans people. I am the only woman comic on here yet I keep getting talked down too. I’ve fucking had it with y’all. I need my cis allies to speak out against how Sbl films is talking down to a trans woman on here.

17 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Thats the thing, it's not the grammys, they are an event. It's the academy, and they voted for him. They very fucking same Hollywood fools that are in everyone's timelines talking about how much they care, because they are real carebears when they think they might get positive feedback and a nice story.

This isn't about his actions in the past, its about him winning an award his peers voted for. The same peers who all came out against him when this started. 

I fail to see how being mad at CK for winning changes anything. Those who are mad should ask the grammy's to name names. Who voted for him. Bet there would be some surprises. Those are the people to be upset with. 

Bro, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (The Oscars) and The Recording Academy (Grammys) are two different entities... please tell me you know that, right?

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

Bro, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (The Oscars) and The Recording Academy (Grammys) are two different entities... please tell me you know that, right?

Yeah, if you look at my above post, I said recording academy. Are we pretending they aren't part of the exact same Hollywood?

Just now, BloodyHell said:

Yeah, if you look at my above post, I said recording academy. Are we pretending they aren't part of the exact same Hollywood?

Two entirely different groups of people. The Average age of an Academy member in Hollywood is around 60.  Much older and conservative membership than the Recording Academy.

8 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

I am so over being talked down by you. You have expressed transphobic ideals before in the past. Your mask is off because you are talking to me with such disrespect. The audacity of you.

He didn't talk down to you. He pointed out that what Kal said was pretty clear. You do happen to do this when anyone disagrees with you. He didn’t disrespect anyone.

43 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I meant the grammys as in the organization behind it but yeah none of this has to do with anything. 

36 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

This board is not friendly towards trans people. I am the only woman comic on here yet I keep getting talked down too. I’ve fucking had it with y’all. I need my cis allies to speak out against how Sbl films is talking down to a trans woman on here.

Half of that isn’t true and the other half makes zero sense. Relax. 

• Thanks 1