Dave Chappelle gets cancelled into four more Netflix specials

10 hours ago, Brick said:

This thread is now about two people with poor takes regarding the trans community. 

You forgot about poor takes on what constitutes freedom of speech as well. My fucking GOODNESS, free speech warrior syndrome is the worst kind of brain worm.

FSWS is basically the last card in the bigot deck. When you’ve ran out of any other reasonable excuses not to be horrible to a type of person you start trying to silence other people from being critical of you being critical of them.

There’s so much shit you can’t do and say and expect to be accepted in polite society that it’s not worth making comparisons. It’s just all bullllllllshit. We have a lot of problems in America but rich people being able to have their words reach the masses is not one of them.

• True 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

You forgot about poor takes on what constitutes freedom of speech as well. My fucking GOODNESS, free speech warrior syndrome is the worst kind of brain worm.

FSWS is basically the last card in the bigot deck. When you’ve ran out of any other reasonable excuses not to be horrible to a type of person you start trying to silence other people from being critical of you being critical of them.

There’s so much shit you can’t do and say and expect to be accepted in polite society that it’s not worth making comparisons. It’s just all bullllllllshit. We have a lot of problems in America but rich people being able to have their words reach the masses is not one of them.

Yeah I was going to say that people complaining about Chappelle aren't denying him his freedom of speech, they're using their freedom of speech to tell him he sucks, and to fuck off. 

• Halal 2

People should be able to say whatever opinions they have, which includes opinions about opinions. I don’t like the idea of protesting a venue for the people they are rent their space to, but people can do as they please. It is difficult to make a business of venue rental if you need the sort of purity test that stops a Dave Chappelle from using your facility.

His first 2 specials were mostly great (minus the TERF crap) the 3rd was absolute trash it was all old man yells at cloud shit. Why is a legend punching down so vehemently?

If that 3rd special is any indication of what he has devolved into he won't need to worry about being cancelled because that shit is trash and nobody wants 4 more of those.

• Halal 1

WAH

dave_chappelle_key__peele_split.jpg?w=12
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

The comedian told ‘CBS This Morning’ that he deserves credit for establishing certain comedy sketch conventions the Comedy Central series used.

Chappelle told King he pushed back against the network for wanting to cut down the length of his “Black White Supremacist” sketch, which originally aired on the show’s first episode. 

“[Network execs said] ‘Well, that’s 10 minutes long. It should be five minutes long.’ Why should it be five minutes long?” he asked. “These types of conventions … I fought very hard. When I watch Key & Peele, and I see they’re doing a format that I created, and at the end of the show it says ‘Created by Key & Peele‘ — that hurts my feelings.”

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

When The Beatles put out Hey Jude as a single, record executives tried to argue with them that nobody would listen to a song on the radio that is over 7 minutes long and tried to get them to cut the coda. Paul responded “they will if it’s us”, and the rest is history.

Can you imagine how utterly destroyed he was when viewing the liner notes of Stairway to Heaven and seeing “Written by Page/Plant” there.

• Haha 4

I can’t stop laughing. Even the most generous interpretation of that is a terrible look for a very accomplished grown man, and the plain reading is embarrassing to a degree that is difficult to put words to

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...
WWW.WSJ.COM

Chappelle sold more tickets in the past year than any other comedian despite repeated controversies and blowback. Now he’s planning to open his own comedy clubs.

> In San Antonio, he took the stage in a sleeveless shirt with his last name across the chest and started in on his notoriety for LGBTQ material. “That’s the old me. I’ve got a whole new show tonight. Tonight I’m going to do all handicapped jokes.” After a roar of laughter, he said, “They’re not as organized as the gays.”

TRUE

• Hype 1

2 hours ago, johnny said:

he has a new special out. i only made it about 10 minutes until he starts making fun of trans people again. 

If you’d told me that Dave Chappelle would become a boring hack I’d never have believed you, but here we are. I can’t think of a more stunning turn in comedy that didn’t involve the person being a sex pest, or something. Just wild. 

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Supposedly he's going after disabled people as well. Really some comedy gold!

DEADLINE.COM

Dave Chappelle again mocked trans people and targeted the disabled community in his latest Netflix special The Dreamer.

He realized it’s easier to grift money from the right wing vs actually trying. Right wingers will pay to see him simply because “liberals are upset” or whatever.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

He realized it’s easier to grift money from the right wing vs actually trying. Right wingers will pay to see him simply because “liberals are upset” or whatever.

It's such an easy cash cow and sometimes I wish I was less scrupulous so I could milk it.

• Halal 1

Not his worst special. I think he tried to do a “Southpark” and insult everyone. I’m not gonna lie, the first big joke of his landed I’m sure exactly the way he wanted. If you laugh at his trans jokes you loved the punchline. If you felt mislead and offended by the joke being disguised as something else, that was the point too. 

I almost turned it off right there, because I didn’t want to sit through another boring “I don’t hate trans people” trans bashing special. I wonder if he thinks he has to mention trans people every special now just so he’s never accused of backing down. Or maybe it is a grift.  

His last big joke about living his dream vs in other people’s dreams didn’t land for me. The closing lines seemed even more disconnected as he thanked everyone in attendance for allowing him to live in their dream. Because it’s their dream in life to see him live? They’ve now peaked, I guess. lol And the sincerity in his voice … I don’t know if he could have humble bragged any better. 

I won’t lie and say I didn’t laugh at anything. It was more entertaining, but it also feels like he doesn’t have much to say. There were a couple of moments he looked like the old Chappelle you love. I would not have watched it for as long if it wasn’t Dave Chappelle. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TUFKAK said:

It's such an easy cash cow and sometimes I wish I was less scrupulous so I could milk it.

D1P CEB should unite and make an anti-woke product, move 50% of profits into a subsidiary gives it all to LGBTQ+ charities or something, then, after the "anti-woke fad" dies, we close down and send every customer a thank you letter that breaks down how much of each of their purchases went to the things they hate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

D1P CEB should unite and make an anti-woke product, move 50% of profits into a subsidiary gives it all to LGBTQ+ charities or something, then, after the "anti-woke fad" dies, we close down and send every customer a thank you letter that breaks down how much of each of their purchases went to the things they hate.

Every year my department (IT in a public Catholic school division) does a garage sale auction online where staff can buy our old/outdated gear that is being replaced (laptops, tablets, printers, etc). Anyway, we provide staff the option of a $5 donation to charity, and we will deliver their purchases to their school/office (we have 32 schools). For the last two years our charity has been to help "at-risk youth" and we've raised quite a bit of money. While it is to help "at-risk youth," it's actually for a transitional home for trans kids/teens who have been kicked out by their parents. 

It makes me happy that we are siphoning money from the Catholic community into the trans community.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hype 2

7 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Not his worst special. I think he tried to do a “Southpark” and insult everyone. I’m not gonna lie, the first big joke of his landed I’m sure exactly the way he wanted. If you laugh at his trans jokes you loved the punchline. If you felt mislead and offended by the joke being disguised as something else, that was the point too. 

I almost turned it off right there, because I didn’t want to sit through another boring “I don’t hate trans people” trans bashing special. I wonder if he thinks he has to mention trans people every special now just so he’s never accused of backing down. Or maybe it is a grift.  

His last big joke about living his dream vs in other people’s dreams didn’t land for me. The closing lines seemed even more disconnected as he thanked everyone in attendance for allowing him to live in their dream. Because it’s their dream in life to see him live? They’ve now peaked, I guess. lol And the sincerity in his voice … I don’t know if he could have humble bragged any better. 

I won’t lie and say I didn’t laugh at anything. It was more entertaining, but it also feels like he doesn’t have much to say. There were a couple of moments he looked like the old Chappelle you love. I would not have watched it for as long if it wasn’t Dave Chappelle. 

I sort've get where he was taking it, that ending was cringe af though, and his comment about white liberals absolutely landed for me because I see that shit basically everyday at work. Ask me about the time people were more focused on getting the attempted murderers pronouns right over the fact that they just tried to murder two paramedics. Not his best work at all and I didn't laugh that much but there were still some good moments.

7 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I may or may not have made some donations to certain causes in certain peoples names.

12 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

We have the technology. I just don't want to spend alot of money. 

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

I'm not watching this garbage so if one of you could explain the mental gymnastics he used to joke about punching down - while actually punching down - I'm all ears.

In the little that I watched, it felt like he was kinda going for the “equal opportunity offender” thing, and “I’ll make fun of handicapped people because nobody else will dare to do it”. But then the jokes are barely jokes. I skipped his last couple specials, and peeking in on this one felt bad. I guess his show is almost 20 years old at this point and people change, but damn. 

On 1/4/2024 at 6:38 PM, TheLeon said:

In the little that I watched, it felt like he was kinda going for the “equal opportunity offender” thing, and “I’ll make fun of handicapped people because nobody else will dare to do it”. But then the jokes are barely jokes. I skipped his last couple specials, and peeking in on this one felt bad. I guess his show is almost 20 years old at this point and people change, but damn. 

The problem with being an “equal opportunity offender” is when you go “they think I’m punching down when I talk about trans people? Wait until they hear my jokes about disabled people” you just end up telling on yourself twice. “Who’s got it worse than group X,” is not fertile ground for comedy. I don’t think anyone’s out there saying that trans or disabled people are off limits in general, Dave’s just lost in the sauce and has been for a while now. The brief bits of this one I watched are just him making “the one joke” conservatives have about trans people, it’s so fucking lazy and boring. 

• Halal 1
  • Wrong 1