Senator John McCain, great American, war hero, amazing human being, badass, dies at 81

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Neither were the conditions experienced by Bauer and McCain, yet you posted that tweet :lol:

Both were captured on the other side of the world and tortured.  McCain came home with injuries, married an heiress, and had the media kiss his ass for the rest of his life.  Bauer came home and continued his work as a journalist.

Former slaves were stuck living in the US and continued to be mistreated by their former masters.

Clearly poor little McCain should be allowed to use racial slurs.  ? good post

Just now, RedSoxFan9 said:

Both were captured on the other side of the world and tortured.  McCain came home with injuries, married an heiress, and had the media kiss his ass for the rest of his life.  Bauer came home and continued his work as a journalist.

Former slaves were stuck living in the US and continued to be mistreated by their former masters.

Clearly poor little McCain should be allowed to use racial slurs.  ? good post

Bauer was not tortured. Read his book on his time in Iran.

1 minute ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Solitary confinement is torture

Regardless of agreement or disagreement on that, he wasn’t in solitary for almost any of his time in Iran and it’s not comparable to the years of physical and mental abuse McCain suffered just as McCain’s time in captivity is not comparable to the trauma experienced by the average chattel slave.

7 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

He eventually apologized and said he would never use that term again. And by any account I can find, in the nearly 20 years since he never did.

I wouldn't consider that "unapologetically".

Link?

10 minutes ago, Jose said:

Why are we comparing degrees of torture endured to justify using a horrific slur? He said the word gook on a fucking campaign trail. That is not ok regardless of circumstances. 

Exactly. It was wrong to use a racial slur, even if one can understand why a man of his time and circumstance would.

11 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

So it’s okay for him to unapologetically say gook?

No.

8 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

He eventually apologized and said he would never use that term again. And by any account I can find, in the nearly 20 years since he never did.

I wouldn't consider that "unapologetically".

I hope this is true.

14 hours ago, SilentWorld said:

Honestly, I don't really see why it's so unreasonable to be happy about the death of a guy that you despised? It seems to me it'd be dishonest for @RedSoxFan9 to be praising McCain for being a great statesman and whatnot, since he clearly doesn't believe that to be true. 

I'm not saying it's wrong to be civil btw, I just don't think it's wrong to be uncivil either. 

We've become a culture and nation of assholes and seem shocked that we elected... an asshole.

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

Well you don't need to be an asshole about Americans being assholes. 

i've never denied being an asshole. I pride myself on assholery. But there's a difference between being an asshole and a FUCKING asshole. America crossed that line once the internet became widely available and reality TV became a thing :p

12 minutes ago, Jose said:

Link?

11 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I hope this is true.

From what I can tell this is a relatively sparsely covered story from 2000, which is a genuinely different time than today. So the Google front page for this search is covered with a few stories inititally covering this, and then much later opinion pieces discussing is. 

But if you dig a little more, there is this NYT article from just a couple weeks after the initial incident.

Criticized for describing his North Vietnamese captors with the racial epithet, Mr. McCain at first defended its use as justified when applied to his jailers (though not other Asians), given the abuse he and his fellow prisoners had suffered at their hands. On Feb. 18, however, perhaps with an eye to the California primary on Tuesday, the Arizona Republican apologized and pledged never to utter the word again.

Since there was never any followup story that I can find in all the years since, as far as I can tell he followed through on the pledge to never say it again. Whether he did so out of political expediency,  or genuine racial sensitivity, I guess it's up for the individual to decide.

My opinion is that the episode is not a statement on McCain's hatred of Asian people but his hatred of his captors(understandable) and his inability to understand why some would not accept his insistence that his use of that word was meant to apply only to his captors(much less understandable). To me then, I suspect he kept thinking of his captors in that same way to himself, but public acquiescence of the second point seems like he was effectively remorseful even if he didn't "feel" it.

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

My opinion is that the episode is not a statement on McCain's hatred of Asian people but his hatred of his captors(understandable) and his inability to understand why some would not accept his insistence that his use of that word was meant to apply only to his captors(much less understandable). To me then, I suspect he kept thinking of his captors in that same way to himself, but public acquiescence of the second point seems like he was effectively remorseful even if he didn't "feel" it.

Your breakdown seems accurate. If McCain was too old or too thick-headed to see the obvious logic that using a racist term because you hate your captors is a bad thing (because the racist term is applicable to the entire group, not just your captors) I'm not sure why the immediate response isn't to default to more neutral yet still harsh insults like "those motherfuckers" or whatever. 

Logic should always win. Adults are stupid, news at 11. 

1 hour ago, Jose said:

There's an article on Yahoo about how the WH flag is back to full staff. This shit is maddening.

I don't care that Trump being a dick, breaking norms, or hating McCain isn't new information, I want people to be constantly reminded he's doing those things, even as it's increasingly the status quo.

3 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I don't care that Trump being a dick, breaking norms, or hating McCain isn't new information, I want people to be constantly reminded he's doing those things, even as it's increasingly the status quo.

Exactly... The President sitting there with his arms folded like a defiant toddler should because he doesn't want to honor a man who was ten times the man he is SHOULD be front and center on the news. Fuck Trump and fuck the people that want to normalize this shit.

21 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Also, we think he hates McCain. We don't "know" that. It's incumbent on reporters to ask him until they get a direct answer and not assume his feelings.