Senator John McCain, great American, war hero, amazing human being, badass, dies at 81

What it boils down to is McCain, unlike (seemingly) most politicians, wasn't an asshole to most people in Washington, and kept that up for a long time. And he had something of a sense of humor for the public to see, unlike most politians.

And surprise, surprise, a republican holds abhorrent views on most things, openly has many somewhat (or not so somewhat) racist views, and generally supported militarism. But guess what? In Arizona in this time period that McCain was senator, if it wasn't going to be him, it would most certainly be someone like him, but maybe a bit more of an asshole like Inhofe or Tom Cotton, or the KKKeibler. So it could really be worse (this goes without saying, but needs reminding)

He doesn't deserve the praise he's getting, nor the derision. 

3 minutes ago, johnny said:

I’m loving how Bernie and AOC pushed out statements saying good things about McCain when their supporters are the ones making jokes about McCain rotting in hell. 

It’s almost as if being a edgelord isn’t a good look! Who would have thunk. 

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

But would anyone really notice if Bernie and AOC just didn't say anything either way about McCain?

I think it would have been odd if a currently sitting senator didn’t say something. It’s a small club, and they’ve been in it a while together.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/jun/22/johnmccain.uselections2008

The fact is, McCain loves journalists and they love him back. That is how the myth of the moderate maverick - the most powerful tool in his political armoury - has come to be.

The list of worrying incidents is long. In 1995 he ended up almost physically scuffling with aged Senator Strom Thurmond on the Senate floor. And, according to some accounts, in 2006 he had a fight with Arizona congressman Rick Renzi, throwing blows in a scrap whose details have only recently been detailed in Schecter's book. Schecter unearthed another unpleasant incident from 1992 in which McCain, tired after a long day's campaign, reacted badly to his wife Cindy teasing him about his baldness. 'At least I don't plaster on the make-up like a trollop, you cunt,' McCain snapped in front of eyewitnesses. Schecter says he has three sources for the story. McCain's campaign have denied it.

44 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think it would have been odd if a currently sitting senator didn’t say something. It’s a small club, and they’ve been in it a while together.

Far, but that still leaves AOC as potentially having been better off just not saying anything.

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

Far, but that still leaves AOC as potentially having been better off just not saying anything.

Agreed. Unforced error on her part.

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Agreed. Unforced error on her part.

Yeah--I think it's safe to say that nobody already voting for her gives a shit about what she has to say about this and that nobody not already planning on voting for her is going to be swayed to vote for her on account of this statement. But she could absolutely lose a few votes from people who absolutely just do not want to hear the McCain hagiography.

• Jason changed the title to Sen. John McCain has died (on 8/25/18)
18 minutes ago, Jason said:

@SFLUFAN That's actually a decent point that it's no longer breaking. I'll obviously defer to you but I've taken a stab at updating it with something less time-sensitive.

I'll change it to "Senator John McCain, maverick and war hero, dies at 81" for the lols at this point.